Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: every hole's a goal

Topic: GOP motto these days. My tribe, right or wrong.  (Read 571 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GOP motto these days. My tribe, right or wrong.
Reply #25
I gave up hating anyone sometime in my early thirties. I can hate what they've done or are doing or intend to do. I can feel horror regarding the kind of mind that can casually commit atrocities. But much of the time, the horrible things people do are rooted in hate to begin with. It isn't good for a person to harbour hate.

That may be true but it is the perpetrator that we jail. Hate the sin and love the sinner all you like but it is the sinner that you jail and we do not jail them out of love.

Regards
DL
'Hate' and 'Love' aren't the only possible emotions, and all emotions tend to run on a sliding scale, and can be mixed with all the other emotions. Using hate and love as two gigantic polar icons does no service to real peoples' lives.

Generally, in my country, we jail criminals to attempt rehabilitation, to deter other would be predators, and to keep our society safe, whether we are particularly successful or not varies. Some people may hate some criminals. Most of us don't hate most criminals. We want them to stop being criminals if that's possible. Otherwise we may have emotions about various types of criminals ranging from anger through fear and from pity through understanding and probably some other emotions mixed in.

Your hate/love dichotomy is the kind of philosophy tattooed on the knuckles of social outcasts.

Sure, all emotions have a sliding scale, but in the middle of a graph showing this, there is always a line to the one side or the other.

You can add all the qualifiers you want to each side of the middle line, but at some point on that scale, the emotion goes from negative to positive.

Regards
DL

Reply #26
I'm not sure hate is really a good thing to cultivate in any situation.

Many Christians tell me that they love all their neighbors and that we should also lave our enemies.

They stick to that till you ask them if they can love the one who rapes their child.

There is a time for love and a time for hate.

For evil to grow, all good people need do is not hate it enough to move against it.

Regards
DL

You seem to assume that without hate, we cannot be motivated to act in self or group preservation activities. I do not agree.

Preserving what you like against what you do not like, unless you want to play semantics, is to love one thing and fight against what comes against it with hate.

You can use like and dislike if you like. I use love and hate.

Regards
DL
I could use like and dislike but that would indeed be a semantic game. You've missed the point. There are other alternatives.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #27
I'm not sure hate is really a good thing to cultivate in any situation.

Many Christians tell me that they love all their neighbors and that we should also lave our enemies.

They stick to that till you ask them if they can love the one who rapes their child.

There is a time for love and a time for hate.

For evil to grow, all good people need do is not hate it enough to move against it.

Regards
DL

You seem to assume that without hate, we cannot be motivated to act in self or group preservation activities. I do not agree.

Preserving what you like against what you do not like, unless you want to play semantics, is to love one thing and fight against what comes against it with hate.

You can use like and dislike if you like. I use love and hate.

Regards
DL
I could use like and dislike but that would indeed be a semantic game. You've missed the point. There are other alternatives.

The opposite of love is hate.

Show the alternative you would use for the opposite of love.

Regards
DL

Reply #28
You do not need to hate, no matter what the opposite of love is.

Reply #29

There are two great emotional motivators in a human psyche. Love and hate.

Your political correctness is a large part of why the world is getting fed up with political correctness which many view are hypocrisy.

But ignore one of your main mental faculties if you like.

Regards
DL

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #30
I gave up hating anyone sometime in my early thirties. I can hate what they've done or are doing or intend to do. I can feel horror regarding the kind of mind that can casually commit atrocities. But much of the time, the horrible things people do are rooted in hate to begin with. It isn't good for a person to harbour hate.

That may be true but it is the perpetrator that we jail. Hate the sin and love the sinner all you like but it is the sinner that you jail and we do not jail them out of love.

Regards
DL
'Hate' and 'Love' aren't the only possible emotions, and all emotions tend to run on a sliding scale, and can be mixed with all the other emotions. Using hate and love as two gigantic polar icons does no service to real peoples' lives.

Generally, in my country, we jail criminals to attempt rehabilitation, to deter other would be predators, and to keep our society safe, whether we are particularly successful or not varies. Some people may hate some criminals. Most of us don't hate most criminals. We want them to stop being criminals if that's possible. Otherwise we may have emotions about various types of criminals ranging from anger through fear and from pity through understanding and probably some other emotions mixed in.

Your hate/love dichotomy is the kind of philosophy tattooed on the knuckles of social outcasts.

Sure, all emotions have a sliding scale, but in the middle of a graph showing this, there is always a line to the one side or the other.

You can add all the qualifiers you want to each side of the middle line, but at some point on that scale, the emotion goes from negative to positive.

Regards
DL

You misunderstand. Love is on a sliding scale. Hate is on a sliding scale. They are not on the same scale, love is not the opposite of hate. Too much emotional love and an unbalanced mind and you get a stalker. Humans aren't some kind of god or the devil deal. We are much more complex than that.

In fact 'hate and love' aren't generally listed as singular emotions; they are probably emergent from complexes of emotions we do feel.

You might hate someone because they wronged you, hurt you, or you may hate them because you envy them, or you may hate them because of some prejudice.

You might love someone because they are kin to you, or because you are attracted to them, or because they are kind to you, or because you admire them.

Reply #31

Your political correctness is a large part of why the world is getting fed up with political correctness which many view are hypocrisy.

Regards
DL

you are wrong. Also, my political correctness?

Reply #32
Hate is one of our main mental   faculties?

Do tell. Is reason one of those faculties?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #33

Perhaps for GIA reason is not one of his.
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
Reply #34

Regards
DL
Meh.  :getdown:

Reply #35

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

You misunderstand. Love is on a sliding scale. Hate is on a sliding scale. They are not on the same scale, love is not the opposite of hate. Too much emotional love and an unbalanced mind and you get a stalker. Humans aren't some kind of god or the devil deal. We are much more complex than that.

In fact 'hate and love' aren't generally listed as singular emotions; they are probably emergent from complexes of emotions we do feel.

You might hate someone because they wronged you, hurt you, or you may hate them because you envy them, or you may hate them because of some prejudice.

You might love someone because they are kin to you, or because you are attracted to them, or because they are kind to you, or because you admire them.
Strange that I can visualize a sliding scale with love at one end and hate on the other but you cannot.

If you are going to restrict your thinking to the only scales you can visualize and ignore the one I can created, then I guess we have no way of discussing this.

Stalkers may say they love someone but for love to be real love, it needs to be returned to be complete and true. What they have in infatuation, not love.

Regards
DL
Regards
DL

Reply #36

Regards
DL

Yes. In saying you do not need to hate. Refusing to use a tern, (hate), when it is fitting to do so, is political correctness. 

I see love your enemy as political correctness and unworkable rhetoric.

I follow Socratic thinking that says we should hate our enemies until we can make them our friends, or kill them. In those days, enemies were trying to kill you.

Not using the word hate is like the left wing politicians not putting the words Islam and terrorist or jihadists together and trying to ignore that it is in large part Islam and Sharia that is creating the Muslim jihadist terrorists.

If politicians hide the fact that Sharia ideology and Western ideology are incompatible, it gives respect to an ideology that deserves to be hated by any follower of  Western ideology.

Regards
DL

Reply #37

Yes. It goes with logic.

If you want to see the biases of love and hate being created in all of our minds, even from birth, please take the time to view this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

Regards
DL

Reply #38

Perhaps for GIA reason is not one of his.

Child.

View the link above and try to break the logic and reason of what I say instead of childishly throwing insults around on an issue you do not seem to be able to understand. Intelligence is quite good when you try to reason something out but you do not seem mature enough to have reached that level of intelligence.

Regards
DL

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #39

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Strange that I can visualize a sliding scale with love at one end and hate on the other but you cannot.

If you are going to restrict your thinking to the only scales you can visualize and ignore the one I can created, then I guess we have no way of discussing this.

Stalkers may say they love someone but for love to be real love, it needs to be returned to be complete and true. What they have in infatuation, not love.

Regards
DL
Regards
DL

I can visualise your scale. I just don't agree that it's an accurate representation of human reality.

Why should I accept your scale in the first place? What authority or special knowledge do you possess that means you are right and I am wrong?

Why does disagreeing with you shut down discussion? Are you unable to converse with people who don't absolutely agree with your personal belief system? Is everyone who disagrees with you dismissed as being cravenly 'politically correct'? Might they not in fact view the world differently, or have studied the issues more deeply, or have personal experience that negate your rather simplistic god or the devil philosophy? Perhaps you should consider thinking outside your own self-constructed box.

for love to be real love, it needs to be returned to be complete and true. What they have in infatuation, not love.
A stalker may be infatuated, but the first part of that quote is not true at all. A parent can love a child who hates them, or a child so mentally deficient as to be unaware of them. Unrequited love is real, many people experience it without becoming stalkers. One can sincerely love a friend who may not feel as strongly towards you. One can love a pet, an animal that may not be able to return that love. And who are you to say one aspect of what we call 'love' is real and another aspect is false?

As for the video you linked for Testy, it is about innate morality and preferences, and only derivatively can it be applied to the concepts of 'love' and 'hate'.

Reply #40

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Regards
DL

I can visualise your scale. I just don't agree that it's an accurate representation of human reality.

Why should I accept your scale in the first place? What authority or special knowledge do you possess that means you are right and I am wrong?

Why does disagreeing with you shut down discussion? Are you unable to converse with people who don't absolutely agree with your personal belief system? Is everyone who disagrees with you dismissed as being cravenly 'politically correct'? Might they not in fact view the world differently, or have studied the issues more deeply, or have personal experience that negate your rather simplistic god or the devil philosophy? Perhaps you should consider thinking outside your own self-constructed box.

for love to be real love, it needs to be returned to be complete and true. What they have in infatuation, not love.
A stalker may be infatuated, but the first part of that quote is not true at all. A parent can love a child who hates them, or a child so mentally deficient as to be unaware of them. Unrequited love is real, many people experience it without becoming stalkers. One can sincerely love a friend who may not feel as strongly towards you. One can love a pet, an animal that may not be able to return that love. And who are you to say one aspect of what we call 'love' is real and another aspect is false?

As for the video you linked for Testy, it is about innate morality and preferences, and only derivatively can it be applied to the concepts of 'love' and 'hate'.

You think a person can true love alone. Ok.

Love and hate are biases and that link shows how we instinctively develop those biases.

If you want to ignore your instincts then go ahead and love your enemy.

Regards
DL

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #41
Lol, I will not necessarily love them, but there's no need to hate them. And who is my enemy? I haven't got any personal enemies. I don't know of anyone who hates me personally.

As for people who hate me impersonally, because they are, say, ISIS fighters who are mostly hopeless uneducated religiously suicidal fanatics, I don't hate them either. I don't love them. I can feel pity for them and sorrow for their victims. They are losing their humanity through ignorance, greed, rage, hopelessness,, fanaticism, all pinned to a religious cult that is indeed hateful. But I don't have to poison my mental faculties with useless hate just because other people have done so. Not hating doesn't prevent me from agreeing that they must be stopped by whatever sane means necessary.

Who do you hate? Why?

Reply #42

Regards
DL

Yes. In saying you do not need to hate. Refusing to use a tern, (hate), when it is fitting to do so, is political correctness. 

You may see this but that would simply be a failure of imagination on your part.

I suspect that may be because you see love and hate as initiating specific click-whirr Pavlovian style responses, imagining you could never restrict those you love and never enable those you hate.

If so, your analysis is flawed. Imagine having a child who suffers rage and obsessive compulsive behavior and you know they plan on killing someone.
I follow Socratic thinking that says we should hate our enemies until we can make them our friends, or kill them. In those days, enemies were trying to kill you.
Is it not possible to love your enemies and still defend one's self from their attacks? You should read Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.
Not using the word hate is like the left wing politicians not putting the words Islam and terrorist or jihadists together and trying to ignore that it is in large part Islam and Sharia that is creating the Muslim jihadist terrorists.

If politicians hide the fact that Sharia ideology and Western ideology are incompatible, it gives respect to an ideology that deserves to be hated by any follower of  Western ideology.

Regards
DL
What someone believes does not affect the world. Only what someone does. To say that the values that matter are the rule of law and human rights is more effective than trying to wipe out Islam by killing Muslims.

Hate creates hate. Love creates love. If you want more love, be more loving. But that doesn't mean that you need to condone antisocial or dangerous. behavior.

Anyway, I doubt that will make any sense to you. I certainly understand rage in the face of powerlessness. But I also recognize it's inferiority as a strategy.

Reply #43
Lol, I will not necessarily love them, but there's no need to hate them. And who is my enemy? I haven't got any personal enemies. I don't know of anyone who hates me personally.

As for people who hate me impersonally, because they are, say, ISIS fighters who are mostly hopeless uneducated religiously suicidal fanatics, I don't hate them either. I don't love them. I can feel pity for them and sorrow for their victims. They are losing their humanity through ignorance, greed, rage, hopelessness,, fanaticism, all pinned to a religious cult that is indeed hateful. But I don't have to poison my mental faculties with useless hate just because other people have done so. Not hating doesn't prevent me from agreeing that they must be stopped by whatever sane means necessary.

Who do you hate? Why?

Not a who so much as the ideology that you agree is hateful. "all pinned to a religious cult that is indeed hateful."

But when I discuss that hateful ideology with those who promote it, I let my hate go to them as their hate goes to me.

Those who swing the swords to decapitate for their religion deserve to be hated along with all others who promote such insane behavior.

Nice that you recognize what should be hated and is hateful.

Regards
DL

Reply #44
I'm pretty sure that I would feel about the same toward your religion as I do about Islam.

Reply #45

Regards
DL

You may see this but that would simply be a failure of imagination on your part.

I suspect that may be because you see love and hate as initiating specific click-whirr Pavlovian style responses, imagining you could never restrict those you love and never enable those you hate.

If so, your analysis is flawed. Imagine having a child who suffers rage and obsessive compulsive behavior and you know they plan on killing someone.
Is it not possible to love your enemies and still defend one's self from their attacks? You should read Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.

Regards
DL
What someone believes does not affect the world. Only what someone does. To say that the values that matter are the rule of law and human rights is more effective than trying to wipe out Islam by killing Muslims.

Hate creates hate. Love creates love. If you want more love, be more loving. But that doesn't mean that you need to condone antisocial or dangerous. behavior.

Anyway, I doubt that will make any sense to you. I certainly understand rage in the face of powerlessness. But I also recognize it's inferiority as a strategy.

Yet that is what Islam is known for. That aside.

Powerlessness?

Who is powerless?

I recommend killing Muslims only as a last resort, after all efforts to reform them are exhausted.

Fact is, those Muslims who do talk of reform are either ignored or targeted for death by the more right wing of Islam and Sharia which demands that all who oppose Sharia must die.

Regards
DL

Reply #46
And how exactly does hate provide a solution to this issue?

What value does it provide to solving it?

Reply #47
I'm pretty sure that I would feel about the same toward your religion as I do about Islam.

I am a Gnostic Christian. Why would you hate Gnostic Christianity the way you should hate Islam?

Be specific in terms of ideology please, so that I might offer a rebuttal.

Regards
DL

Reply #48
Yep. I feel about the same.

Reply #49
And how exactly does hate provide a solution to this issue?

What value does it provide to solving it?

Love does not work when the ones you are trying to love hate you and would destroy you if they could.

Where I come from, reciprocity is fair play. Hate is answered with hate and love with love.

Regards
DL