Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: :golfclap:

Topic: The All-American Shooting Thread (Read 9272 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: The All-American Shooting Thread
Reply #225

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #226
https://mcfrye.com/the-parkland-mass-shooting/
Also quite nice. And I believe McFrye is right. This disaster may well be the rock on which the Republicans wreck.
Are we there yet?

Reply #227
It may be a miscalculations to underestimate motivated high school students in the age of democratized media.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #228
To be honest, the best thing we can hope for is that they vote.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #229
I'm pretty damn sure they'll vote.

Remember that study that showed the party of the president someone voted for in the first presidential election was extremely predictive of future votes?

That's what's on the line during the next 3 years - the future political behaviors of of a cohort.

• uncool
Reply #230

Reply #231
As in the Middle East, the collapse of American society is tightly associated with the rise of angry armed young white male terrorists who are both upset at governments that no longer cater to their needs as well as uppity women and minorities.

We're like 5 years out from Taliban Afghanistan.

Yeah the same Trump america with the lowest unemployed rate since ever and the highest ROI for the stockholders in the world is a collapsing society.  You leftists are really really tard

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #232
i feel vindicated that my strong dislike of this obnoxious bow-tie-wearing classmate of mine 10 years ago was totally justified:

Reply #233
i feel vindicated that my strong dislike of this obnoxious bow-tie-wearing classmate of mine 10 years ago was totally justified:

• ksen
Reply #234
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/top-gop-donor-cuts-off-opponents-of-assault-weapon-ban.html

Al Hoffman Jr., a big-shot GOP donor from Florida, announced on Saturday that he will no longer contribute money to any candidates or groups that don't support a ban on assault weapons for civilian use, the New York Times reports. The real estate developer and former ambassador to Portugal, who has donated millions of dollars to GOP candidates and causes, and was a particularly strong supporter of George W. and Jeb Bush, says he will try to line up other Republican donors to withhold money over the issue as well. Hoffman has pushed for more restrictions on guns before, but has never threatened politicians' pocketbooks until now.

This might be talk they understand.

Reply #235
Hey people who follow the law on these matters...
This - from a year ago - came as news to me:

Assault Weapons Not Protected by Second Amendment, Federal Appeals Court Rules

Is this not a big deal?
That popped up in my news feed the other day too. Weird. Anyway, it's certainly relevant. The Supreme Court refused to hear a challenge to it in November, so it stands and is precedent. Any other states that want to ban assault weapons should be able to do so, and I certainly hope more of them will soon.

If Congress ever had the political will to do it, I imagine a challenge actually would reach the SC at that point.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #236
trump is open to background checks and a bump stock ban

http://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics/trump-background-checks-florida/index.html

maybe it will actually happen.  if something like this ever does happen, I think it will have to be while there's a republican president.  because when there's a democratic president, the entire gop goes into derangement mode and runs around screaming that tyranny is coming, which is not a political environment conducive to getting majorities in congress to pass some kind of gun control.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #237
I don't think he's advocating an actual expansion of background checks.  The bill being considered basically goes after LE and military organizations that don't report what the current law requires.

People won't get their bonus pay or something if they are found to have not sent updates to the national database.

Reply #238
if you think trump is advocating for anything you're nuts. he's just stirring the pot.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #239
I don't think I've ever seen this TR Meme unironically before, but there it is, at the top of the page.

Talk Rational: Ceasefire!!!!11!1!

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #240

Reply #241
Another way is to pry their guns from their cold...

Reply #242
"If you want to stop school shootings"

Reply #243
Hmm

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #244

Reply #245

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #246
Calling the vocal kids 'shills' and other 'talking points'.

https://thinkprogress.org/the-new-smear-campaign-against-students-who-survived-the-parkland-massacre-b71c1e1d722c/
Should have posted this here, rather than in the ARSE thread:

god these people are sickening

I hope there's a huge turnout for the March 24 events inspired by these kids.

MARCH FOR OUR LIVES.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• ksen
Reply #247
Calling the vocal kids 'shills' and other 'talking points'.

https://thinkprogress.org/the-new-smear-campaign-against-students-who-survived-the-parkland-massacre-b71c1e1d722c/

I read that this morning. These guys get more and more disgusting every day.

Reply #248

• borealis
  • Administrator