Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Literally so horrible that you have to join forces with child rapists to stop it.

Topic: How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? (Read 746 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?
Reply #25
Gnostics are worse than filthy muslims. Take my advice, don't trust them alone with children and don't hire them as valet car parkers.

Thanks for showing us your ignorance of Gnostic Christianity.

Regards
DL
Oh, I'm not ignorant. Some of my good friends are gnostics.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #26
Oh lol, Oglaf of course. Shouldda remembered.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #27
No, DL. I truly believe it is a bad idea to follow personalities. I read very widely and have since I learned to read. Most of the people you refer to are men, and ime, most of them have at least some beliefs that collide with mine.

Can you link me to something written? I can't currently watch videos and don't like them much anyway.

Apologies, I cannot do better than your own use of google.

Bill does have transcripts though. This site does not work well for me but might be ok for your system.

www.hiddenmeanings.com

Regards
DL

I can use the site. It is terribly organised and every third or fourth thing you look at is a beggar's bowl asking for monetary support

What attracts you to this person's views? I haven't looked at a lot of it, but it appears to be a collection of New Age truisms and photos cadged from all over the internet. Much of it is very trite, and some of it sounds distressingly like the material used by Divine Light Mission (afterwards Elan Vital), an exploitive Indian cult that swept North America and Britain in the 70s. What am I missing, that you see?

His esoteric views and how he interprets scriptures from that esoteric and allegorical POV.

Not all of them but most of the ones that I have seen him speak about on you tube. A pity you cannot view those.

Regards
DL

Okay.

No, DL. I truly believe it is a bad idea to follow personalities. I read very widely and have since I learned to read. Most of the people you refer to are men, and ime, most of them have at least some beliefs that collide with mine.

Can you link me to something written? I can't currently watch videos and don't like them much anyway.

Apologies, I cannot do better than your own use of google.

Bill does have transcripts though. This site does not work well for me but might be ok for your system.

www.hiddenmeanings.com

Regards
DL

I can use the site. It is terribly organised and every third or fourth thing you look at is a beggar's bowl asking for monetary support

What attracts you to this person's views? I haven't looked at a lot of it, but it appears to be a collection of New Age truisms and photos cadged from all over the internet. Much of it is very trite, and some of it sounds distressingly like the material used by Divine Light Mission (afterwards Elan Vital), an exploitive Indian cult that swept North America and Britain in the 70s. What am I missing, that you see?

His esoteric views and how he interprets scriptures from that esoteric and allegorical POV.

Not all of them but most of the ones that I have seen him speak about on you tube. A pity you cannot view those.

Regards
DL

Okay, I've managed to skim several videos. I think his interpretations are no worse than many others. I'd prefer he was a bit more etymologically rigorous and didn't wander off into what I consider forced numerology.

I do understand how his views might appeal to someone who starts out with a view of the Bible as inerrantly historic when the allegory is not blatantly obvious.

But I don't think the Bible is entirely allegorical or entirely about spirituality. There are bits of history, bits of legend, campfire folklore, songs, stories taken from other cultures, tragedy, politics, humour, cultural information, and a lot of very human stories mixed in with the set of spiritual memes that permeate the whole. Very much what one would expect from a cobbled together collection of very old texts.

Consider the story of Absalom, banished from the king's city and anxious to get back there and be in the king's good books again. He can't go there himself, so he pesters his brother, a farmer busy with harvest, to go and petition for him. His brother puts it off until Absalom is so frustrated that he sets his brother's fields on fire. His brother comes to him from his burning crops and asks what he did that for. At which point Absalom repeats his request and his brother heads out to do it.

Now I could do a Donahue on that story and make it all about spirituality, how we put off important spiritual acts in favour of petty earthly concerns and so on.

But I think this is a small story fragment in the midst of a jumbled very old political story that is meant to be humourous, to describe a relationship between brothers. Consider being told this story, and the storyteller acting out Absalom's frustrated pacing, his setting the fires, the exasperation of his brother and his capitulation to his crazy brother Absalom's political ambitions. It would be funny.

Because there have always been storytellers, in every age and every culture. And while stories may be co-opted by priests and preachers, the storytellers' purposes were probably much more directed by their human nature rather than their urge to present unfathomable spiritual messages full of numerical puzzles and word derivations.

Also, Donahue is completely wrong about the derivation of Yeshua; he could have looked it up and discovered its etymological origins in ten minutes and left the Greeks out of it after that.

Reply #28
my focus has been to try to become a Parfait

First a thin layer granola, then whipped topping, yogurt, sliced strawberries/blueberries.
Repeat layers of granola, whipped topping, yogurt.
Add a little whipped topping on top, then fruit.
For granola I like to use strawberry flavored.

I also like the light and fit yogurt.

Good on camping trips because you can whip up a serving for 4 in 10 minutes and it's delicious.
Good Luck and tell me how it turns out. :)

Reply #29
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord.
 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Reply #30
Also, Donahue is completely wrong about the derivation of Yeshua; he could have looked it up and discovered its etymological origins in ten minutes and left the Greeks out of it after that.

I dont know what Donahue said, but all of the early (Greek) NT manuscripts are devoid of the name Yeshua, so Hebrew derivation is problematic.

Reply #31
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord.
 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Only a fool would think that God said such B.S., given that Gen 3 has God saying that man has become like Gods in the knowing of good and evil.

But if you follow the bible, those verses are telling you not to follow the bible because they are written by men. Right?

Regards
DL

Reply #32

I dont know what Donahue said, but all of the early (Greek) NT manuscripts are devoid of the name Yeshua, so Hebrew derivation is problematic.

Who cares when no miracle working Jesus ever existed in the first place?

Regards
DL

• MikeB
Reply #33
Perhaps miracles no, but such a person most likely did exist, an unusual person to garner that much attention.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #34
Lol, DL. The only Bible inerrantists that use this forum - all three of them - never enter your threads at all. I'm not sure they know you exist, since, like you, they never venture outside their own threads in order to participate in the community we have here.

Reply #35
Perhaps miracles no, but such a person most likely did exist, an unusual person to garner that much attention.

The good man archetype had many lifetimes to gain his reputation.

Regards
DL

Reply #36
Lol, DL. The only Bible inerrantists that use this forum 

That inaccuracy is why I am selective in where I go.

Best to ask what I do since your attention span and reading comprehension seems to be letting you down.

Regards
DL

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #37
Lol, DL. The only Bible inerrantists that use this forum 

That inaccuracy is why I am selective in where I go.

Best to ask what I do since your attention span and reading comprehension seems to be letting you down.

Regards
DL

DL, of the long post I wrote some time ago, and which you 'liked', you responded to one sentence. This has happened before. You seem to have an agenda, or perhaps TR just provides an easy soapbox. Regardless, you are orating at a demographic which is not only barely represented in this forum, but which also has studiously avoided your threads.

My attention span is fine. Perhaps your communication skills could do with an upgrade.

Do you have a point.

Reply #38
Everyone here has some kind of agenda.

If I liked what you put, why not speak to what I disliked instead of liked?

Or did you just want more praise above the like?

I understand your situation but fail to see your problem, unless you just need an ego boost.

Regards
DL

• uncool
Reply #39
My problem is that I find your posts both tedious and spammy.

You are continually addressing people who believe in a specific version of God. The number of such people at this forum is vanishingly small, and none of them even notice you, as they are too wrapped up in their own beliefs.

So why are you preaching to the converted?

Reply #40
My problem is that I find your posts both tedious and spammy.

You are continually addressing people who believe in a specific version of God. The number of such people at this forum is vanishingly small, and none of them even notice you, as they are too wrapped up in their own beliefs.

So why are you preaching to the converted?

??

Why are the converted bothering with the religious part of this forum?

You are correct that I chose only certain types of believers to go after as they are the ones creating the religious problems of homophobia and misogyny, religions two longest running victims of discrimination without a just cause.

Regards
DL

• uncool
Reply #41
Because religion is of interest to more than just the religious.

Maybe try reading other threads and getting a sense of the forum.

Reply #42

I have a pretty good idea of what this forum is about and the character of many of the posters.

If they do not know mine by now --------

Regards
DL

Reply #43

I have a pretty good idea of what this forum is about and the character of many of the posters.

Regards
DL

My Pasteur says there's a special VIP area of Hell for fake Christians who claim to be Christians but deny Christ.

I think I know you pretty well and hopefully you bring sumblock SPF 50,000,000 with you when you go.

Reply #44

Regards
DL

My Pasteur says there's a special VIP area of Hell for fake Christians who claim to be Christians but deny Christ.

I think I know you pretty well and hopefully you bring sumblock SPF 50,000,000 with you when you go.

https://false-doctrine-assassin.blog/2017/12/20/false-preachers/

Regards
DL

Reply #45

Regards
DL

I quote Christ as part of my beliefs. Ignore that though as you are not interested in knowing God.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Regards
DL