Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: We've got grenades to go.

Topic: Winter Olympics 2018 (Read 1468 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Winter Olympics 2018
Reply #25
will Canada even make the podium in men's?

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #26
I'm guessing no:  Czechs are good.

Reply #27
still a good chance the Russians will fail a doping test.

a very good chance.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #28
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/23/russian-athlete-nadezhda-sergeeva-filmed-in-i-dont-do-doping-shirt-fails-olympic-drug-test

I'm glad that doping isn't really a problem in figure skating and that all they have to do is be anorexic instead.

Reply #29
there's literally nothing the russians won't cheat at

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #30
Who is staying up to watch the US attempt to win gold at Curling?

Reply #31
nope

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #32
will Canada even make the podium in men's?
I'm guessing no:  Czechs are good.
So I was wrong.  Yay.  Bronze for Canada.

But there's still the important question:  Who's the rotter who taught the Germans how to play hockey anyway?  :whyyou:

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #33
Hey, 'gratz USA.  I didn't see that coming.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #34

I tried to, but crashed on the couch.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #35
what the fuck

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-olympics-russia-spies-hacking-20180224-story.html

Russian military spies hacked several hundred computers used by authorities at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in South Korea, according to U.S. intelligence.

They did so while trying to make it appear as though the intrusion was conducted by North Korea, what is known as a "false-flag" operation, said two U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter.

Officials in Pyeongchang acknowledged that the Games were hit by a cyberattack during the Feb. 9 opening ceremony but had refused to confirm whether Russia was responsible. That evening there were disruptions to the internet, broadcast systems and the Olympics website. Many attendees were unable to print their tickets for the ceremony, resulting in empty seats.

Analysts surmise the disruption was retaliation against the International Olympic Committee for banning the Russian team from the Winter Games due to doping violations. No officials from Russia's Olympic federation were allowed to attend, and while some athletes were permitted to compete under the designation "Olympic Athletes from Russia," they were unable to display the Russian flag on their uniforms and, if they won medals, their country's anthem was not played.

As of early February, the Russian military agency GRU had access to as many as 300 Olympic-related computers, according to an intelligence report this month.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #36
Why is everything in English?  I miss the good old days of seeing CCCP on the commie's hockey jerseys.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #37

Reply #38
what the fuck

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-olympics-russia-spies-hacking-20180224-story.html

Russian military spies hacked several hundred computers used by authorities at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in South Korea, according to U.S. intelligence.

They did so while trying to make it appear as though the intrusion was conducted by North Korea, what is known as a "false-flag" operation, said two U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter.

Officials in Pyeongchang acknowledged that the Games were hit by a cyberattack during the Feb. 9 opening ceremony but had refused to confirm whether Russia was responsible. That evening there were disruptions to the internet, broadcast systems and the Olympics website. Many attendees were unable to print their tickets for the ceremony, resulting in empty seats.

Analysts surmise the disruption was retaliation against the International Olympic Committee for banning the Russian team from the Winter Games due to doping violations. No officials from Russia's Olympic federation were allowed to attend, and while some athletes were permitted to compete under the designation "Olympic Athletes from Russia," they were unable to display the Russian flag on their uniforms and, if they won medals, their country's anthem was not played.

As of early February, the Russian military agency GRU had access to as many as 300 Olympic-related computers, according to an intelligence report this month.
This should be enough to strip every Russian medal.

Reply #39
Bold. Very bold. Putin must think he has an ace card in cyber that can bring down any opponent if necessary or something.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #40
tinfoil hat theory: putin had pressure on the IOC and used it to hardline the NHL into not sending their players to the olympics and into letting Russia compete under the OAR figleaf despite the sanctions. The hacking was to eliminate any evidence.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #41
we finally finished getting through it on DVR.  my thoughts:

- we loved that female skater/dancer who finally won gold after a million tries
- when will someone finally land or at least attempt a quadruple axel in competition? 
- all skiers are blonde
- in russia, children are forced to choose between practicing figure skating and going to the gulag
- the two events where the US owns everyone else are snowboarding and landing on the moon

• el jefe
Reply #42
max aaron almost landing a quad axel in practice, with a harness

https://youtu.be/hg1wW7TzmmQ

and Nathan Chen says he's seen him actually land it

as someone who knows fuck all about figure skating, I see indications both for and against the likelihood of someone eventually doing it in competition. 

everyone says figure skaters are reaching the limits of what the human body can do.  and the 4A is harder than other quads, because it's really 4.5 rotations. ...  otoh, the skaters keep pushing the envelope.  I think every type of quad except the 4A has been landed in competition.  a skater is not considered competitive if they don't have at least one quad in their routine, and the number of quads you have to do in the routine keeps rising.  so given that overall trend of the sport getting more competitive and essentially having a quad arms race, it seems to me that someone, somewhere will eventually try it and someone, somewhere will eventually pull it off.

Chen said in an interview that it's not impossible.  my guess is that it is probably within the reach of the best handful of skaters in the world, but that there are good reasons not to try it.  someone said even learning to do triples is both demanding and carries a high risk of injury.  so to get good at a 4A, a skater would really have to commit to it.  and I'm guessing  that just turns out to be a huge gamble for a figure skater.  as an elite figure skater, you're only in your prime for 5 years or so.  even if you don't get injured trying the 4A, does it really make sense to commit your finite training time to learning it, when you could be mastering everything else and trying to be as good a skater as you can overall?

all that said, I can't stop my brain from trying to come up with hacks to make it work.  the one I keep coming back to is using wrist weights.  having an extra few pounds at ~2 feet from your axis as you begin to rotate, will, I'm guessing, add something like 5-10% to your angular momentum, while only adding 2 or 3 % to your overall mass.  so as you pull your arms in (which will be slightly harder now, but I'm guessing not prohibitively so), your angular velocity should be a few percent higher than it otherwise would be.  now, that won't enable me or anyone else at TR to go out and do a quad axel.  but if you're an elite skater who can almost do it, I could see that making the difference.
  • Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:37:43 AM by el jefe

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #43
Quadruple axels are dumb, and they should stop trying to do all these crazy ass jumps.

• el jefe
Reply #44
haha, meep's bitter cuz she can't do a quad axel

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #45
Just because both of those things are true doesn't mean there's a causal relationship.

• el jefe
Reply #46
haha, she's a nerd too.  everyone point and laugh at the nerd!

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #47
In an amazing coincidence, I am also bitter, nerdy, and unable to do a quad axel.

Maybe meep and I are related?

• el jefe
Reply #48
:(

can I join your little club if I'm nerdy, can't do a quad axel, and am bitter but in denial about it?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #49
Sure, but only if you can agree with me that pursuing jumps with more and more and more rotations is detrimental to the sport overall. :colbert: