Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• "il y a une chance que" generally calls for the subjunctive, so could someone please chance "peut" to "puissiez"? Failing that, at least change it to "pouvez" so it doesn't scream  "TalkRational: a republic of illiteracy" to the world.

Topic: Winter Olympics 2018 (Read 1551 times) previous topic - next topic

• ksen
Re: Winter Olympics 2018
Reply #50
So I guess the trick to winning figure skating gold is to backload all of your jumps and shit? I read that the later in your program the jumps are the more weight they carry in the scoring which is one reason why that one Olympic Athelete from Russia dude could fall all over the ice at the beginning of his routine but ended up beating the way more worthy American?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #51
Yup. It's harder to do later in the program because your legs are tired. You also get more points for putting your arms over your head since that throws off your center of gravity, which is why the Russian women did that with pretty much all their jumps. And you get more points for a failed attempt at a more difficult element compared to doing an easier element successfully. So if you're supposed to do a triple jump and you fall, you get more points than if you had a feeling you wouldn't be able to do it right and turned it into a double so you could still land it.

Skating seems to go between extremes in being too subjective and then creating scoring systems that crank out this kind of crap. I mean, it's still kind of fun to watch, but in order to sustain a skating program where skaters do this kind of shit, you have to have them start at a ridiculously young age doing crazy shit when their body isn't ready and keep them at a ridiculously low weight, and then they only have a shot at being an international contender for like 3-4 years before the next young thing comes along. That's shitty, and it makes for less artistic programs.

I mean, look at Carolina Kostner, the Italian skater. She's 31 and has been competing for over a decade. This was her 4th Olympics. She was skating competitively at the junior level when Zagitova, who won the gold medal, was born. She can jump, but she can't jump like the Russians. What she has that they don't really have as much is the artistry and timing that come with experience, but that's not worth nearly as much anymore.

I bet you won't ever see Evgeniya Medvedeva at another Olympics, and I wouldn't be surprised if Zagitova didn't make it back either. It just doesn't happen anymore and it's a direct result of this kind of intense national program you need to have in order to crank out skating programs that maximize the number of points.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #52
yeah, the jumps arms race is bad for the skaters and ruining the artistry of the sport.  I still want to see someone land a quad axel, just because of how impressive it would be.

fun, incidental factoid:  figure skating originally was just a competition to scratch pretty pictures in the ice.  hence "figure".  all the jumps and spins and stuff evolved later.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #53
also, I like the Italian Kostner woman too.  partly because her routines are pretty.  partly because I remember her from past olympics.  also, because I generally like veteran athletes who are like "fuck you, I'm not retiring yet. now watch me own these kids."

• ksen
Reply #54
You know who'd be the coolest figure skater?

Hela.