Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TR: This is why Jon has you on ignore.

Topic: Working As Intended (Read 135 times) previous topic - next topic

Working As Intended
1ST SELF-DRIVING CAR DEATH REPORTED INVOLVING TESLA S
The fatal crash occurred on May 7 in Williston, Florida. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says preliminary reports indicate the crash occurred when a tractor-trailer rig made a left turn in front of the Tesla at a highway intersection.

The Model S went under the trailer, and the impact sheared off the roof of the vehicle.

Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the truck and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" at the time of the crash and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi told The Associated Press in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Elon Musk tweeted a video this guy posted back in April: "Owner video of Autopilot steering to avoid collision with a truck"

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5rraWJq6E
Tesla Model S autopilot saved the car autonomously from a side collision from a boom lift truck. I was driving down the interstate and you can see the boom lift truck in question on the left side of the screen on a joining interstate road. Once the roads merged, the truck tried to get to the exit ramp on the right and never saw my Tesla. I actually wasn't watching that direction and Tessy (the name of my car) was on duty with autopilot engaged. I became aware of the danger when Tessy alerted me with the "immediately take over" warning chime and the car swerving to the right to avoid the side collision.

It was a mistake on the other driver's part. He did not even know I was there until I honked my horn. There was a group of women in the black sedan to my left and they went nuts about the guy and what he did (all kinds of gesturing in their car). Once I was beside the truck as it slowed down on the ramp, the guy gestured a "sorry!" I gave him, "it's okay" wave.

In case you're curious, I'm listening to an audiobook in the background. It's a Malcolm Gladwell book (excellent book)

The boom lift truck is clearly visible throughout the dashcam video, and any other driver would have noticed the truck moving to the right with intent to make the exit well before the autopilot reacted with the take-over alarm. I'm shaking my head that he criticizes the truck driver for failing to see him, when he had no idea what was going on at the time.  The women in the black sedan could have been gesturing at him to try and get him to pay attention to the truck, not to imply that he would have seen them. He only knew the black sedan was there after watching the dashcam video, for sure.

So, working as intended.  Except that Tesla probably hasn't tested this failure mode, where all the sensors in the roof and side pillars are lost. Allowing idiots to spend a hundred grand removing themselves from the planet is OK with me, but Tesla should be concerned about bystanders, and develop a way to put the car in safe mode after the non-driver's demise. If it wasn't for the telephone pole the car might have kept driving until the battery discharged.
  • Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:13:03 AM by Autonemesis