Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: We wouldn't have it any other way, for some value of we.

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 210251 times) previous topic - next topic

• Sea Star
  • Not an octohatter
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #36025
Maybe Dave's had a farming mishap. That could explain the sudden spree of desperate posting in the other thread.
  :eek:
Natalie isn't due for two weeks.
Quote from: Dave Hawkins on Today at 07:50:40 AM
Lol
Sea Star has been trolling me this whole time.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #36026
Maybe Dave's had a farming mishap. That could explain the sudden spree of desperate posting in the other thread.
Bluffy may have stressed her out into delivering prematurely.
Are we there yet?

Reply #36027
Gotta expect a few casualties as Dave pulls back the foreskin of science.

• Photon
  • I interfere with myself
Reply #36028
Gotta expect a few casualties as Dave pulls back the foreskin of science.
Dave, the heroic maverick, looks beneath and illumines the sebaceous scientific underworld that lurks secretively, misleading children and the pious, and the godless here will not like it.

Or, he's just a fool.

Reply #36029
Hey!  You remembered!

• Sea Star
  • Not an octohatter
Reply #36030
Hey!  You remembered!
I'm interested. :)
She's okay, yeah?
Lol

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
Reply #36031
It's funny to see how you guys view these conversations
Indeed. How do you view them, Dave?

In your mind, are you 'winning' all of these interactions?
Dave ?^^^^
Dave ?^^^^
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

Reply #36032
Hey!  You remembered!
She's okay, yeah?
Yup she's great. Everyone else is too. I know what I'm doing with cattle and sheep and goats. Some of the assholes around here like to talk about my dead animals but the only dead animals are the ones that resulted from me trying new systems with them. If my absolute highest priority was to never ever lose a chicken, well I can do that no problem using traditional proven systems. But that's obviously not my highest goal. My goal is to come up with better systems than the ones we have now.

EDIT: and as we know, evolution of new systems is an error prone process. Or at least that's what I'm told!

Hi Pingu :wave:
  • Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:19:53 AM by Dave Hawkins

Reply #36033
Hey!  You remembered!
She's okay, yeah?
Yup she's great. Everyone else is too. I know what I'm doing with cattle and sheep and goats. Some of the assholes around here like to talk about my dead animals but the only dead animals are the ones that resulted from me trying new systems with them. If my absolute highest priority was to never ever lose a chicken, well I can do that no problem using traditional proven systems. But that's obviously not my highest goal. My goal is to come up with better systems than the ones we have now.
If a few animals have to predictably die of exposure in order to save agriculture (and ultimately the world), then so be it.   -Dave Hawkins.
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

Reply #36034
Hey!  You remembered!
She's okay, yeah?

EDIT: and as we know, evolution of new systems is an error prone process. Or at least that's what I'm told!

Hi Pingu :wave:

So one of the new systems you tried was to leave a piglet with little to no shelter and let your dog out amongst the chickens?

Keep it up Sparky.

Reply #36035
This newer, larger RoboPen may not look like much, but it's rockin'!!

I think Testy is going to be the winner of the "Chicken Pen Design Contest" ... I think I like the idea of dragging a Rabbit / Chicken House on skids behind the main pen. Much better I think than adding something on like saddle bags because of weight. It's very nice to be able to move the main pen by hand.

• Sea Star
  • Not an octohatter
Reply #36036
This newer, larger RoboPen may not look like much, but it's rockin'!!

I think Testy is going to be the winner of the "Chicken Pen Design Contest" ... I think I like the idea of dragging a Rabbit / Chicken House on skids behind the main pen. Much better I think than adding something on like saddle bags because of weight. It's very nice to be able to move the main pen by hand.

Natalie's bagging up! Getting close!
Lol

Reply #36037
Ok Testy, my TR chicken advisor ...  I think I'm going repurpose ye olde RoboPen for chickens and rabbits and tow it behind the sheep and goat pen ... obviously I need to have an automatic door and some roosts and some egg boxes ... any suggestions for how to design those ?

Reply #36038
how many chickens do you want to keep?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #36039
100% of them

Lol

Reply #36040
No more than 10 initially

Reply #36041
heh. Ok. I meant, how many to put in the pen.

Reply #36042
10 is a good number. Use the pen and don't get a rooster. you said you want an automatic door. Why?

Reply #36043
Keep them safe at night? Yeah but maybe I don't need that because of the goats and sheep and cow and the dog and cat in close proximity?

Reply #36044
I was thinking you'd open the door in the morning and shut it at night. I do that and it's not a big deal. But ok. That means you'd need a timer or a light meter. And a small winch.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #36045
And a fuse? :D
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #36046
And a fuse? :D
What for?  I already have a circuit breaker.

Reply #36047

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #36048
Keep them safe at night? Yeah but maybe I don't need that because of the goats and sheep and cow and the dog and cat in close proximity?
If I remember correctly, it was the dog that was a problem for the chickens.
And no, cats generally are not protective of chickens. They can certainly stand up for themselves and you never want to give a mama cat the impression you are fucking with her kits, but beyond that, not really likely they'd interfere with predators after your chickens. I'm pretty sure the goats and sheep and cow are probably oblivious to such as well. If it's not a threat to them, they'll likely ignore it. If it is a threat to them, sure, they'll put up a fight, but I doubt such threats are looking for chicken.

As usual, your "maybe"s are irrational hope.
Are we there yet?

• Sea Star
  • Not an octohatter
Reply #36049
Dave, how's Natalie? Do you have her separated off with some shelter?
I want baby pics!
Lol