Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How is this place even a forum?

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 209049 times) previous topic - next topic

BenTheBiased, DaveGodfrey, VoxRat, borealis, JonF (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
  • Pingu
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #35025
Yeah us poor plebes with our lowly B.S. degrees have to slowly work up to your lofty PhD-level nosebleed Heights using baby steps.

If I ever get a project going, it would probably involve me actually living in the village for 1 year and training people that want to learn, then handing it off. 

:ironicat:
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Photon
  • I interfere with myself
Reply #35026
Yeah us poor plebes with our lowly B.S. degrees have to slowly work up to your lofty PhD-level nosebleed Heights using baby steps.
Why if it isn't Poor Whiny Dave,
An arse for a brain, and thinks he's a slave.
A shoulder with a chip, imagines he's brave.
Just a broken thinker, and cannot behave.
Best read in the voice of Dr. Nick Riviera...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rgqKv9rkAE0

Re: Some heads are gonna roll
Reply #35027
This is just one example of lack of attention to detail on the left.  I see this sort of thing all the time [1]
Simple.

In Pingu we trust.

In you, not so much.
Let me know how that works out about one year into the five-year exile.
I see this in people's posts here too - Pingu is a prime example - latest example being her complete avoidance of providing any details whatsoever on her plan for "Pingu's Island" - yet no one on Team Darwin cared about details.  They signed up for her island blindly without any details of how they would be fed.

Re: Re: Some heads are gonna roll
Reply #35028
The devil - they say - is in the details.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #35029
:facepalm:

the "exile" is imaginary, Dave.
It works out in five years however you imagine it to.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Photon
Reply #35030
This is just one example of lack of attention to detail on the left.  I see this sort of thing all the time [1]
Simple.

In Pingu we trust.

In you, not so much.
I ran the simulation virtually, and Pingu's island is thriving after one year, with robust plans and thoughtful execution, they were able to deal with several weather-related issues and one insect infestation on one of the many staple plant crops, and have emerged successfully, though challenged, with the island inhabitants healthy, and nourished, with a vibrant joy of living.

Conversely, Dave's myopic plans, which have no capability to address unforeseen circumstances, has led to a sad decrease in the animal herds, a few due to exposure, some due to inattention with the island dogs, and some escaped. Being wholly dependent on animal milk and protein, Dave's island had to butcher many of the breeding and milking stock to survive. Unfortunately, a high percentage of the inhabitants were lactose intolerant, leading to much diarrhea and cramping, but thankfully only one islander lost their life to malnourishment and dehydration. The others are having difficulty with water quality since the compost system wasn't aged at a high enough temperature to kill pathogens, and the entire tomato crop was useless for human consumption. The remaining pigs ate lots of human feces-laced tomatoes and excess milk, and are doing quite well. The people have some significant vitamin deficiencies, severe lack of fibre, and a dangerously high saturated fat content in their diets, and are growing lethargic. And they have to shit in buckets.

Wow, Dave, after one year (I just got back to you), the verdict seems clear.

Going with Pingu, with her proven record of forethought and collaboration, was the better choice.
I see this in people's posts here too - Pingu is a prime example - latest example being her complete avoidance of providing any details whatsoever on her plan for "Pingu's Island" - yet no one on Team Darwin cared about details.  They signed up for her island blindly without any details of how they would be fed.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #35031
Dave, are you still going on about your island experiment? Out of curiosity, could you even find water if dropped off in a random landscape?
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #35032

Well it would be interesting to see how it works out if both sides were committed to an honest analysis. But one side unfortunately isn't.

Reply #35033
Dave, are you still going on about your island experiment? Out of curiosity, could you even find water if dropped off in a random landscape?
Yes of course and I'm not just talking about any random landscape. I would propose a landscape like my location in Missouri because it's very easy to work with.

Reply #35034
One side should honestly be committed.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #35035
Yes of course and I'm not just talking about any random landscape. I would propose a landscape like my location in Missouri because it's very easy to work with.

One with a town nearby?
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• Photon
Reply #35036

One with a town nearby?
For water and Wendy's, obviously.

Reply #35037

Well it would be interesting to see how it works out if both sides were committed to an honest analysis. But one side unfortunately isn't.
I do get the impression that thought experiments are considered more authoritative by those that have bought in to the Bible.
I'm guessing that is because they are like parables, which cannot be dismissed as fiction, and must therefore be true.

• JonF
Reply #35038
As in Lake K.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #35039

One with a town nearby?
Nope.  You get one shot at loading up with whatever supplies you want - garden seeds, livestock, tools, etc.

• Pingu
Reply #35040

Except an island

• Faid
Reply #35041

One with a town nearby?
Nope.  You get one shot at loading up with whatever supplies you want - garden seeds, livestock, tools, etc.
So, you'll be dead a few days after your water supplies run out?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #35042
Come on. If you're going to insult me, at least make it entertaining.
Does the objective observation of the chip on your shoulder offend you?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #35043
Simple.

In Pingu we trust.

In you, not so much.
Hey, Bluffy, I'm back here to report on the one-year anniversary. Man, we're doing great. Turns out Pingu really was the better choice, at least I think so, hard to compare with nothing. Your island exploded a couple of months before this anniversary. We didn't have the equipment to record all the data from the actual explosion itself and being downwind of us we didn't get an wind drift. Ocean current as well. So we really don't know exactly what happened. Kinda sad.
But, on the other hand, we're doing great. I mean, how about this baby? It's a prototype so one of a kind so far, but pretty good, it can transport one back in time up to 10 years. And so here I am. To tell you Pingu was definitely the right choice, even though we all voted for her because we were no way going to live on an island with you as governor (possible exception we define "governor" as person confined to the locks and thrown rotting veggies at).
Of course, to preserve the future, you will remember nothing about this other than this post of mine on TR. Toodles, I off to party with Testy, in both your time and mine.
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #35044
One side should honestly be committed.
And, honestly, it's you.

ETA: Oops, missed your avatar and thought this was from Bluffy. Sorry.
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #35045

One with a town nearby?
I want a near-by town or I'm not going to play.
So there!
Are we there yet?

• uncool
Reply #35046
Jesus Christ, Dave, are you not getting that this is a rejection of your premise that this thought experiment is going to do anything?

If we took the thought experiment seriously and came up with a serious plan, there would be no way for us here now to evaluate which plan would be better. You would likely bluff and bluster, certain that your plan was better, with no data that would demonstrate it, because this is a thought experiment. We would get nowhere, having learned nothing.

So instead, we reject the premise that the thought experiment is about the details of the plans. We instead talk about whom we trust to implement a good plan well, because that's the only difference we'd be able to determine beforehand. And we don't trust you at all - either on finding a good plan, or on implementing it.

Reply #35047
Hogwash. We have plenty of information with which we could make informed decisions.

I really do want to create a simulation sometime. That would be freaking awesome.

Reply #35048
Hogwash. We have plenty of information with which we could make informed decisions.

I really do want to create a simulation sometime. That would be freaking awesome.
It would get bogged down in discussions about what it is even supposed to simulate and that it's not doing that.
I cannot see this going anywhere but nowhere.

• Pingu
Reply #35049

Well, you don't.  You are the most ignorant person I have ever met.   And even when you have the information, your decisions are crap.

Why?