Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: World Headquarters of the Universal Post-Atheist Church

Topic: Newsflash: Junk food increases cancer risk substantially (Read 199 times) previous topic - next topic

Newsflash: Junk food increases cancer risk substantially
http://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k322
Abstract

Objective To assess the prospective associations between consumption of ultra-processed food and risk of cancer.

Design Population based cohort study.

Setting and participants 104 980 participants aged at least 18 years (median age 42.8 years) from the French NutriNet-Santé cohort (2009-17). Dietary intakes were collected using repeated 24 hour dietary records, designed to register participants' usual consumption for 3300 different food items. These were categorised according to their degree of processing by the NOVA classification.

Main outcome measures Associations between ultra-processed food intake and risk of overall, breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer assessed by multivariable Cox proportional hazard models adjusted for known risk factors.

Results Ultra-processed food intake was associated with higher overall cancer risk (n=2228 cases; hazard ratio for a 10% increment in the proportion of ultra-processed food in the diet 1.12 (95% confidence interval 1.06 to 1.18); P for trend<0.001) and breast cancer risk (n=739 cases; hazard ratio 1.11 (1.02 to 1.22); P for trend=0.02). These results remained statistically significant after adjustment for several markers of the nutritional quality of the diet (lipid, sodium, and carbohydrate intakes and/or a Western pattern derived by principal component analysis).

Conclusions In this large prospective study, a 10% increase in the proportion of ultra-processed foods in the diet was associated with a significant increase of greater than 10% in risks of overall and breast cancer. Further studies are needed to better understand the relative effect of the various dimensions of processing (nutritional composition, food additives, contact materials, and neoformed contaminants) in these associations.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• F X
  • The one and only
Re: Newsflash: Junk food increases cancer risk substantially
Reply #1
Newsflash

Eating crap food makes you sick
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2
http://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k322
Abstract

Objective To assess the prospective associations between consumption of ultra-processed food and risk of cancer.

Design Population based cohort study.

Setting and participants 104 980 participants aged at least 18 years (median age 42.8 years) from the French NutriNet-Santé cohort (2009-17). Dietary intakes were collected using repeated 24 hour dietary records, designed to register participants' usual consumption for 3300 different food items. These were categorised according to their degree of processing by the NOVA classification.

Main outcome measures Associations between ultra-processed food intake and risk of overall, breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer assessed by multivariable Cox proportional hazard models adjusted for known risk factors.

Results Ultra-processed food intake was associated with higher overall cancer risk (n=2228 cases; hazard ratio for a 10% increment in the proportion of ultra-processed food in the diet 1.12 (95% confidence interval 1.06 to 1.18); P for trend<0.001) and breast cancer risk (n=739 cases; hazard ratio 1.11 (1.02 to 1.22); P for trend=0.02). These results remained statistically significant after adjustment for several markers of the nutritional quality of the diet (lipid, sodium, and carbohydrate intakes and/or a Western pattern derived by principal component analysis).

Conclusions In this large prospective study, a 10% increase in the proportion of ultra-processed foods in the diet was associated with a significant increase of greater than 10% in risks of overall and breast cancer. Further studies are needed to better understand the relative effect of the various dimensions of processing (nutritional composition, food additives, contact materials, and neoformed contaminants) in these associations.

This study's ramifications multiplied by (food deserts plus the impending dismantlement of SNAP plus the dismantlement of Medicaid/Medicare) = genocide of the poors?

Reply #3
I think the gop prefers to call it cost cutting for social security.

• ffejrxx
Reply #4
so about 2% get cancer and <1% ate healthy and got cancer?
ill continue to take my chances thank you

Reply #5
spoilsport

Reply #6
I tried to Google "NOVA", but now I'm even more confused. So ultra-processed means containing more than 4 to 5 ingredients and is bad for you? What about my chicken liver casserole? Chicken liver - looks like most favourable slot: "Aliments frais ou peu transformés". Champignon mushrooms - same. Onions - same. Milk - one more. Some veg oil (Canola/rape seed oil) for frying and (non-bleached or not in any other way processed beyond milling) wheat flour - look sufficiently innocent. But suddenly, when I mix them, those 4 to 5 ingredients (and some salt and pepper, and some Chinese soy sauce), they become ultra-processed, super dangerous despicable Aliments hautement transformés.

Sorry (not really), but I found no sufficiently informative Google hit in English. While I'm at it, I hadn't seen any white/red meat distinction before visiting US discussions. I didn't (and don't) find that a useful or easily applicable distinction. Is intensive veal calf meat (?) /fatling meat (?) whiter or more red than ostrich? What about use other countries?

Reply #7
You don't seem to be acting like a team player here.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #8
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

Reply #9
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages
Apparently it's nitrosamines that are the problem and have been known to be so for decades. If only folks went by taste rather than looks. Just using salt for curing means no nitrosamines but the meat is not so pink.