Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Refugees from Internet Infidels, but still unaware they are free.

Topic: Re: Those footprints in Crete (Read 252 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Those footprints in Crete
CBC article:

Many of the reactions to the Trachilos discovery were negative, to say the least. Ahlberg has been publishing papers since 1989 -- including in Nature and Science -- and had never experienced anything like this before.
"We got ferociously aggressive responses saying this couldn't possibly be true and these can't be footprints at all," said Ahlberg. "In every round [of reviews], there would be at least one, and sometimes several, reviewers who were in the first instance savagely hostile. They would just flatly deny that these would be human or hominin footprints. They would say almost anything -- they're bear or monkey [tracks] or whatever."
Ahlberg shared some of the reviews with CBC, and they appeared to match his descriptions, but warned that they could not be reproduced for confidentiality reasons.
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/human-footprints-greece?cnis=9c11e2ea-feb7-4318-827d-21bb7f62551e*C*1195*0*0*A

I thought there was an earlier thread about this controversial find, but I can't locate it with search.

• Faid
Re: Re: Those footprints in Crete
Reply #1
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #2
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #3
http://talkrational.org/index.php/topic,1531.0.html

Search function sucks ass.

What search term did you use to find it? Mine evidently sucked.

• Faid
Reply #4
I tried a general search for 'footprints' and Crete' and failed. I remembered posting in the thread so I searched through my own posts with the term 'Crete'. That worked for some reason.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #5
Per mentioned this to me in person when they were going through the review process. Anthro is apparently a mean fucking field.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #6
Anthro is apparently a mean fucking field.
That is a huge understatement.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭