Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• I think as part of the "reboot" this place's name should be changed to "Talk and Talk and Talk and Talk More or Less Rationally".

Topic: Love your washing machine? (Read 299 times) previous topic - next topic

Love your washing machine?
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

kind of a crazy article. Stuff we don't think about.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Love your washing machine?
Reply #1

"We"? Washing machines are expensive. They used to last 25 to 35 years, cleaned your clothes, and were repairable at pretty low cost by any reasonably competent appliance repair person. When my ancient Kenmore toploading agitator switch quit working, it cost $42. for parts and labour. When the parts were no longer available, we bought an Amana toploader. It was a pain to use, did not do a great job, it flooded the house twice, and as soon as the one year warranty was up, the computer control panel died. Replacement cost? $800, almost the price of a new machine. Complete waste of all the other functional components.

We replaced it with a GE toploader. It's a year and a half old, still running. I hate it. It twists the clothing in spirals. It does not clean heavily soiled work clothing well, and winds sheets (even with the correct selection) into bundles of scrunched up, poorly cleaned knobs. It locks you out, so you can't toss in an errant sock without going through a ten minute pause-hold-restart-relock cycle. It even locks you out for some time after the load is finished. God forbid you select the wrong load specification. The machine will throw a fit and rock itself into the nearest wall.

Modern 'high efficiency' washing machines are a fucking rip-off, environmentally disastrous as even the best last on average five years, and the cost of the computer components is an outrage.

Grr.

ETA: Do you ever do the laundry?

Reply #2
I do all the laundry at my house. :colbert: The disposable mindset bothers me a lot too. The stuff I was referring to is the fact that the reviewing standard is so wrong.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #3
We got a top of the line made in the east eco machine.  Can't say what the lifetime of it will be.  Slow and methodical.  Does a great job, uses very little eco friendly detergent.

I doubt it will last anywhere close to the life of our old washer

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #4
On the plus side, it doesn't make the hideous racket the old machine made.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #5

I have a suspicion that my washing machine has been farming chinese bitcoins.

Reply #6
you really can't trust 'em anymore.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #7

I have a suspicion that my washing machine has been farming chinese bitcoins.

I hadn't even considered that. It's probably listening in on our conversations too.  :staregonk:

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #8
frontloaders ftw.

Reply #9
We've had the same frontloader now since 1997. It's had a couple minor mechanical issues (both times after a cross country move), but it still works great, uses much less water than top loaders, and is much nicer to clothes.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #10
Our front loader is not quite that old.  I think we bought it in 2000.  Two repairs, both in the $200-$250 range. When it does die, I'll buy another.  Not sure the current brands are as reliable.  I think when we bought it the Maytag, Whirlpool and Amana models were made by the same factories.  I think now, every appliance that isn't named Samsung or LG or some other name you associate with smartphones is made by Whirlpool.

Reply #11
I've still got a top loader I bought when we moved into this house, so 1996. Works great. I replaced the wigwag a few years ago. $5 and took a half hour.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #12
I have one of those efficiency toploaders and I fucking love it.

Come fight me about it, guys. :v: