Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Oh just shut the fuck up, you paranoid multiple voting weirdo.

Topic: Chilcot Report finally out (Read 229 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pingu
Chilcot Report finally out
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• MikeS
Re: Chilcot Report finally out
Reply #1
You guys take a long time to do these report thingys.

Whitewash or not, Tony Blair is almost retired (or awaiting his appointment to the Upper House).

• Pingu
Reply #2
Yes, it was ridiculous.  But Blair was retired before the report was commissioned.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3
Fuck we need one of those over here too. Little Johnny Howard was so chuffed to be able to play with real guns. Fuckwit.
Truth is out of style

• MikeS
Reply #4
Fuck we need one of those over here too. Little Johnny Howard was so chuffed to be able to play with real guns. Fuckwit.
Just copy the report and do a "Find - Replace" with Tony Blair to John Howard.  I'm sure it will read the same.

Reply #5
It will end up being about Tojohn Howardair.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Pingu
Reply #6
Blair's press conference speech and response is totally inadequate.

"For all of this I express more sorrow, regret and apology than you can ever know or believe"

Parsing that is a challenge.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #7
whatever.  I gather many of the englanders who just voted for brexit did so at least partly because of half-conscious nostalgia for the empire.  if so, those people are probably fine with the UK invading a brown country without a good reason.  maybe even see it as a positive. 

all the better if they're doing it side by side with the transatlantic prodigal son, through whom they vicariously relive the bad old days.  better still if the president they're following is a brash, trigger-happy jackass, who views war as the safe choice and, to paraphrase chancellor palpatine, embraces a larger view of causus belli.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:32:59 AM by el jefe

• Pingu
Reply #8
It was a very unpopular war.

Blair had the gall to say to day, when asked about "trust" and whether his actions had contributed to the lack of trust the referendum voters had in what any politician had to say, something like "you should trust a politician most when they are doing something unpopular, because that means they are doing it because they believe in it".  It still doesn't dawn on him that being in the minority might be reason to wonder whether he might have been wrong.

In any case, he was all about "history will judge" at the time.  He seemed to see himself as the brave maverick who would be later admired for his courage and perspicacity in the face of criticism.  But we know he also bought into the "our soldiers will be greeted as liberators" myth.

I can't even bear to look at him.  Though it was mildly satisfying to see him look genuinely shaken. 

Reply #9
Nice to see Robin Cook and Charles Kennedy vindicated. Its a pity neither of them are here to see it.
Why do I bother?

• Pingu
Reply #10
Yup.

Corbyn, however, was there to put the knife in.

• linus
Reply #11
In any case, he was all about "history will judge" at the time. 
It's fitting that history's judgement is an official 12 volume report on how much Blair sucks. That has to hurt if he cares at all about his legacy.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #12
Someone has to take this and run with it in Australia, because the same basic arguments will apply to Howard & Co.
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
Reply #13
It's interesting to see that he's still whining about "well, I might have made a mistake but I thought I was doing the right thing".

He just doesn't get it.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #14
It's interesting to see that he's still whining about "well, I might have made a mistake but I thought I was doing the right thing".

He just doesn't get it.

Indeed. I don't think one can ever be too cynical about politicians' motives.