Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: :colbert:

Topic: Austin bombings (Read 446 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Austin bombings
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-blast/race-against-time-to-find-bomber-as-fifth-device-blows-up-in-texas-idUSKBN1GW136

A 5th bomb went off today:
AUSTIN/SCHERTZ, Texas (Reuters) - A package bomb blew up at a FedEx Corp distribution center near San Antonio on Tuesday, officials said, and the FBI was investigating whether it was linked to a series of four homemade bombs that hit the Texas capital of Austin this month.

Officials did not say if the latest incident was the work of what Austin police believe could be a serial bomber responsible for the four earlier devices that killed two people and injured four others.

The blast at the FedEx facility in Schertz was the fifth in the state in the last 18 days. If it is linked to the others, it would be the first outside the Austin area and the first that involves a commercial parcel service.

Police discovered another package at the same location that they believe is also loaded with an explosive device, San Antonio Police Chief Bill McManus told reporters.

"There was one other package that we believe was also loaded with an explosive device that they are looking at right now," McManus told reporters in Schertz, which is about 20 miles northeast of San Antonio.

The blast knocked a female employee off her feet and may have caused a concussion, McManus said. Federal officials on the scene said she had ringing in her ears and was treated and released.

The package, filled with nails and metal shrapnel, exploded shortly after midnight local time at the facility, about 65 miles south of Austin, the San Antonio Fire Department said on Twitter.

Of course, when the White House finally chimed in, this is what they fucking said:
The bombings in Austin did not appear to be linked to terrorism, White House spokesman Sarah Sanders said on Twitter on Tuesday.

How is indiscriminate bombing of civilian targets literally not fucking terrorism?

There's more here about the prior bombings: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/20/package-believed-to-be-bound-for-austin-explodes-at-texas-fedex-facility-police-say/

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Re: Austin bombings
Reply #1
Of course, when the White House finally chimed in, this is what they fucking said:
The bombings in Austin did not appear to be linked to terrorism, White House spokesman Sarah Sanders said on Twitter on Tuesday.
How is indiscriminate bombing of civilian targets literally not fucking terrorism?
Maybe they're just trying to say that they don't have any information that makes it looks like a Muslim did it.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #2
I wonder what the motivation is?
Austin is (in)famous in Texas as a Librul enclave.
Maybe it's a Texan who doesn't like Libruls?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
Another undetonated bomb was found near the airport, and now there's been another bombing, this time at a Goodwill: https://apnews.com/aacdba867cdd4026b8be5325a0993f6c

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The Latest on serial bombings in Texas (all times local):

7:30 p.m.

Austin authorities say emergency personnel are responding to another reported explosion, this one at a Goodwill store in the southern part of the city.

Austin-Travis County EMS tweeted Thursday evening that at least one person was injured but that details about the severity of those injuries and the explosion itself were unknown.

It would mark the sixth explosion in the Austin area since March 2. So far, two people have been killed and four others seriously wounded.

___

6:58 p.m.

The FBI says a suspicious package reported at a FedEx distribution center near the Austin airport "contained an explosive device."

In a statement Tuesday evening, the FBI said no one was injured when law enforcement responded to a report of a suspicious package at the facility around 6:20 a.m.

Hours earlier, a separate package exploded at a FedEx shipping center in Schertz, about 60 miles (96 kilometers) south of Austin.

Reply #4

Reply #5
Blew himself up this morning as police closed in

Reply #6

It could still be terrorism. I mean the guy could have looked at some Antifa websites at one stage or something.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #7
Maybe they're just trying to say that they don't have any information that makes it looks like a Muslim did it.

Reply #8
Definitely a lot of things that I personally would call terrorism don't fit within the legal definition of being tied to a political cause.  I've always thought that that definition was too narrow.  It should also include violence aimed solely at "terrorizing" regardless of whether there is a political aim. 

In that former context, it would be too early to conclude "terrorism."  The obvious problem is that "they" always prematurely conclude terrorism based on their own whims.

Reply #9
Guy was a 24 year old homeschooled conservative

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #10
a true patriot standing up for what he believed in, and now he is being maligned for his politically incorrect beliefs

Reply #11
If they'd said "no confirmed links to known terrorist groups" then that might be accurate as these people tend to cultivate the whole "lone wolf" thing. But it also means you can describe it as a "terrorist act" because I can't really think of a more obvious act of terrorism than sending bombs through the mail, etc. Everyone calls the Unabomber a terrorist, and that's exactly what he did.

But of course being white he can't possibly be a terrorist, but instead hangs out with "very fine people".
Why do I bother?

• ksen
Reply #12
FREE SPECHE!!!

Reply #13
If they'd said "no confirmed links to known terrorist groups" then that might be accurate as these people tend to cultivate the whole "lone wolf" thing. But it also means you can describe it as a "terrorist act" because I can't really think of a more obvious act of terrorism than sending bombs through the mail, etc. Everyone calls the Unabomber a terrorist, and that's exactly what he did.

But of course being white he can't possibly be a terrorist, but instead hangs out with "very fine people".

The Unabomber had a political manifesto

Reply #14
Well yes, but I was thinking more of the fact that the Unabomber was one person who wasn't a member of any particular organisation.
Why do I bother?

Reply #15

Reply #16

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #17
That was probably a reddit troll and complete bullshit.

Reply #18

Reply #19
I'm not going to defend media double standards re: reporting on murderers and victims but that one is a bit cherry picky.

Reply #20
The New York times is no angel

• MSG
Reply #21
I'm not going to defend media double standards re: reporting on murderers and victims but that one is a bit cherry picky.
agreed
braying among the ruins

Reply #22
love to humanize right-wing christian terrorists

Reply #23
Fuuuuuck
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #24
agreed

Well, one of them is literally dead.