Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• My reactions to this were a mixed "Wow, what monsters, what colossal douchebags." and "lol what kind of idiot moron dork try-hard I-only-just-discovered-Ayn-Rand talks-too-much-during-philosophy-101 pseudo-intellectuals chat about gutting Medicaid at a fucking college party COME ON."

Topic: Cambridge Analytica (Read 319 times) previous topic - next topic

Cambridge Analytica
Probably deserves it own thread at this point

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: Cambridge Analytica
Reply #2
Here's the direct link to Part 3 of the Channel4 investigation:

https://www.channel4.com/news/exposed-undercover-secrets-of-donald-trump-data-firm-cambridge-analytica

In the third part of a Channel 4 News investigation into Cambridge Analytica, bosses also talked about:

The full scale of their pivotal work in Trump's election win
    How they avoid Congressional investigations into their foreign clients
    Setting up proxy organisations to feed untraceable messages onto social media
    Using a secret email system where messages self-destruct and leave no trace
    Cambridge Analytica's involvement in the "Defeat Crooked Hilary" brand of attack ads

In one exchange Alexander Nix revealed the company used a secret self-destructing email system that leaves no trace. He said: "No-one knows we have it, and secondly we set our... emails with a self-destruct timer... So you send them and after they've been read, two hours later, they disappear. There's no evidence, there's no paper trail, there's nothing."

Mr Nix also belittled representatives on the House Intelligence Committee to whom he gave evidence in 2017. He claims Republican members asked just three questions. "After five minutes - done."

"They're politicians, they're not technical. They don't understand how it works," he said.

Mr Nix further claimed that Democrats on the Committee are motivated by "sour grapes".

He said: "They don't understand because the candidate never, is never involved. He's told what to do by the campaign team."

"So the candidate is the puppet?," the undercover reporter asked.

"Always," replied Mr Nix.

I mean, you have to adjust it for the usual dumb male trying to sell something bravado, but still, jesus christ.

Also lol the jurisdiction thing - it's still somehow amazing to me how many mediocre dudes consistently manage to end up in these powerful, highly paid positions when they're so unbelievably fucking dumb about some very important things.

Reply #3

Reply #4

Also lol the jurisdiction thing - it's still somehow amazing to me how many mediocre dudes consistently manage to end up in these powerful, highly paid positions when they're so unbelievably fucking dumb about some very important things.

the literal CEO of a company registered in Delaware, USA: the US government has no jurisdiction!

~meritocracy~

Reply #5
Maybe they are a sovereign corporations are people citizen

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #6

the literal CEO of a company registered in Delaware, USA: the US government has no jurisdiction!

~meritocracy~

lol I just remembered Amy Wax here at PennLaw saying black law students never graduate in the top half of the class because they only got into the school because they're black and now I want to jump out of the window so I can break my leg and maybe feel something again

Reply #7
It's great that Facebook and Twitter are essentially mass hypnotizing millions of people but no one in charge of the companies even thinks about that and just cares about increasing user engagement

• ksen
Reply #8
It's great that Facebook and Twitter are essentially mass hypnotizing millions of people but no one in charge of the companies even thinks about that and just cares about increasing user engagement ad revenues

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #9
debating whether Cambridge analytica would be a good band name

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #10
No, but I'm 100% sure that it will be a pub trivia name all across the country this week and that the people who put it on their sheet will feel like they're so very clever and hilarious.

Reply #11
I'll just make it my new wifi network name!

• ksen
Reply #12
I named my phone "NSA Phone 264" and one of my sons decided to see what devices were connected to our wifi and he started freaking out a bit. He was ready to change passwords and throw up serious firewalls.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #13
Thank you, British bureaucracy.

Nix is a director of another data company, and Rebekah and Jennifer Mercer were added as directors just a few days ago: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10911848/officers

• Pingu
Reply #14
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Faid
Reply #15
...What
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #16
Bragging about crimes on Twitter is a family tradition

• Pingu
Reply #17
The amazing thing is that this kind of risk-taking has worked for him so far.  But surely there's a limit to his run of dumb luck?

It's a random walk, right?

I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #18
Bragging about crimes on Twitter is a family tradition
That was just locker room talk, ok?  Look, no one respects Democracy more than Cambridge Analytica.  No one.
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #19
The amazing thing is that this kind of risk-taking has worked for him so far.  But surely there's a limit to his run of dumb luck?

It's a random walk, right?

he's buffered by
1) uncertainty as to whether the constitution allows a sitting president to be tried for a crime probably leading prosecutors other than mueller not to touch the possibility
2) the one definite remedy (impeachment and removal from office) being as much a political process as a legal one, when trump's own party controls both houses of congress, and dynamics like partisan polarization, media isolation, and the relative importance of pleasing primary voters has led most of the gop to put party ahead of rule of law.

• MSG
Reply #20
as much a political process as a legal one
as much? it's entirely a political process.
braying among the ruins