Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: list of posters you're not allowed to respond to in my threads.

Topic: Pope Francis is the best pope (Read 699 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Pope Francis is the best pope
And it's not just because he's my fellow countryman and because his Argentinianized Italian is fun to listen to:

:crai:  :crai:

A summary of what was said:
"If only we could all cry like Emanuele when we have an ache in our hearts like he has," the pope told the children. "He was crying for his father and had the courage to do it in front of us because in his heart there is love for his father."

Pope Francis said he had asked Emanuele if he could share the boy's question and the boy agreed. "'A little while ago my father passed away. He was a nonbeliever, but he had all four of his children baptized. He was a good man. Is dad in heaven?'"

"How beautiful to hear a son say of his father, 'He was good,'" the pope told the children. "And what a beautiful witness of a son who inherited the strength of his father, who had the courage to cry in front of all of us. If that man was able to make his children like that, then it's true, he was a good man. He was a good man.

"That man did not have the gift of faith, he wasn't a believer, but he had his children baptized. He had a good heart," Pope Francis said.

"God is the one who says who goes to heaven," the pope explained.

The next step in answering Emanuele's question, he said, would be to think about what God is like and, especially, what kind of heart God has. "What do you think? A father's heart. God has a dad's heart. And with a dad who was not a believer, but who baptized his children and gave them that bravura, do you think God would be able to leave him far from himself?"

"Does God abandon his children?" the pope asked. "Does God abandon his children when they are good?"

The children shouted, "No."

"There, Emanuele, that is the answer," the pope told the boy. "God surely was proud of your father, because it is easier as a believer to baptize your children than to baptize them when you are not a believer. Surely this pleased God very much."

Pope Francis encouraged Emanuele to "talk to your dad; pray to your dad."

Re: Pope Francis is the best pope
Reply #1
Nice of him to reassure the kid that it is just the other goods dad's who didn't baptize their children who are in hell.

Reply #2
Baby steps
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #3
True: I do not actually disagree with the OP title. He seems nicer than other popes.

• MSG
Reply #4
To be fair it is a low base
braying among the ruins

• Fenrir
Reply #5
Yeah, he seems just peachy.

Catholic Cruelty: Pope Francis argues transgender teens must stop complaining, deny their lived experience, and "accept their own body as it was created."

In his new letter on marriage and the family, Amoris Laetitia ("The Joy of Love"), Francis claims that teaching kids about safe sex "promotes narcissism," that transgender teens should just stop complaining and "accept their own body as it was created," and that same-sex couples are not "legitimate families."

Claiming that transgender teens are "self-centered" and "self-absorbed," Francis writes:

Plenty more at link. Go read it, he just gets cuddlier and friendlier all the time.
It's what plants crave.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #6
It's very nice of you all to take a minute and reject the idea of appreciating a kind and compassionate act for a crying 6 year old child to ask the really tough questions like, "Did you know the Pope is still Catholic?". Wow, I mean, my mind is fucking blown.

Reply #7
"Did you know transphobes can be compassionate to cis kids?" isn't exactly mind-blowing either.

• MSG
Reply #8
He seems quite nice for an Argentinian too
braying among the ruins

Reply #9
You are welcome. Any other heart-warming moments you want me to drizzle grey disapproval over while I am here?

Reply #10
It is possible to be both the best pope and still in need of some improvement.  

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #11
"Did you know transphobes can be compassionate to cis kids?" isn't exactly mind-blowing either.

Why are you assuming the 6 year old is cis? Isn't that a bit presumptuous of you?

Also it was a bit surprising to me that he would tell a child that God wouldn't reject an atheist if they were a good person. I wouldn't have expected that from any of the other popes.

You are welcome. Any other heart-warming moments you want me to drizzle grey disapproval over while I am here?

If only everyone were totally woke and not problematic, then we might actually be able to briefly take comfort in another person's act of kindness every so often instead of being bitter fucking cynical shells of human beings 24 hours a day.

Reply #12
That is beautifully said.

• nesb
Reply #13
What is this? Talk Catholic: home of unqualified praise for the pope? Nah, no idgaf. Francis is alright. A step up from the freaky Hitler Youth warlock. And look at me, setting the high bar.

Reply #14
Just remember that "best" is merely a synonym for "least worst".
Why do I bother?

Reply #15
I totally sympathize with your point of view, and I really do agree he seems a lot nicer than some popes.

But what kind of bugged me is that attitudes of the religious organisation of which he is the head had kind of upset the poor kid in the first place. He was 6, and he was afraid his dad was in hell.

I am of an age now where I get to see about as many funerals as I see weddings in what is still a pretty Catholic country, and I cannot tell you how often I have had to listen to wizened nasty little gnomes warning grieving relatives that they better stick with the church if they want to see them again. During a goddamn funeral mass. There seems to be a machine in this country somewhere that turns out angry hobbits dressed in vestments. There are loads of nice ones too, mind. But good lord it feels like you meet that particular type a lot if you live in a catholic country.

I would have whole-heartedly applauded his performance here of he hadn't included the rider about baptizing his children. Even with it, it is so much nicer than it used to be. I appreciate the way he is even letting nice atheists into heaven these days. The CC is slowly, SLOOOOOWLY starting to shed some of their awful baggage.

But he did include it. And those priests at those funerals I sit through do say those petty, nasty, smallminded things. It doesn't bother me much personally, but it does bother people I know and care about. And I live in a country where the CC is pretty much unavoidable: almost no non-catholic schools, so my agnostic daughter goes to a Catholic one. Funerals happen in churches. Weddings do. Young kids do confirmation and so on. Etc etc etc.

I think the CC could be so much nicer. I think it would be so much better for them: both priests and believers could be so much happier if they could just focus on the joys of faith rather than on areas that clearly conflict with the modern ethos as most people, in this country at least, see it.

I am not so much cynical as I am frustrated, I think. That should absolutely not blind me to what is good and nice and so on, I totally agree with you there. But on the other hand, it is not like THAT much is being asked of these guys either. No-one is asking them to stop believing in God, or to believe that God wants them to live a certain way. It would just be nice if they could stop being jerks in the name of their religion to other people. And sometimes it feels a little bit like they get a round of applause whenever they almost completely fail to be a jerk to other people.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #16
Nice of him to reassure the kid that it is just the other goods dad's who didn't baptize their children who are in hell.
My dad is definitely in Hell, if such a place exists and people's consciousness continues after death, if only to meet all the interesting people there. Mark Twain, Rogers and Hammerstein, Shakespeare, the list goes on and on forever. He'd be in heaven, so to speak.

Now, my mom, I'm not sure. Wonderful mom, with some reservations. But she raised me and I was pretty easy to raise compared to my  brothers. Not so much that I was easier to raise than them, but both my parents figured out by then we boys were going to be what we were going to be. One turned out to be a very successful scientist who is also a retired USAF colonel and a pretty dang cool guy to be a brother of, we've always taken care of each other, the taking care of ones brother going both ways, but I owe him a lot in a currency that's not traded on the markets, at least I hope not, and is mostly of my own fantasizing. The other was not as successful from some points of view, he was like you Bluffy, a maverick. Just didn't get along with the mainstream. Wonderfully talented art wise, but it was his therapy and he could not conceive of selling it. He was a victim of Vietnam. And a bit of an asshole to our parents. Before the war bent him, he was the coolest brother one could have. Actually took time out of his life to chauffeur my girl friend and I around on Saturday nights, when we went to the Coconut Grove in Santa Cruz to dance and hang out. Picked us up right at 1:30 went the place closed. Not a good time to be under 21 and not in the custody of adults, legally speaking. And me, well, you know about as much about me as most anyone. I was a bit of a handful. They, my parents, gave up. Decided to do as they said and let that be my guide. I guess it's worked out, though there have been times when I had doubts.

But I am pretty sure both of them are in Hell.
Too interesting for Heaven.
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #17
It is possible to be both the best pope and still in need of some improvement.  
Depends on ones definition of "best".
Would it mean the "best" pope that has ever existed?
Or would it mean the "best" pope that could be?
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #18

Why are you assuming the 6 year old is cis? Isn't that a bit presumptuous of you?

Also it was a bit surprising to me that he would tell a child that God wouldn't reject an atheist if they were a good person. I wouldn't have expected that from any of the other popes.

If only everyone were totally woke and not problematic, then we might actually be able to briefly take comfort in another person's act of kindness every so often instead of being bitter fucking cynical shells of human beings 24 hours a day.

Why would that be a good thing?
Are we there yet?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #19
If God is omnipotent, could He create a pope so good that even He could not find fault with him?   :hmm:

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #20
If God is omnipotent, could He create a pope so good that even He could not find fault with him?  :hmm:

Conversely, such a god could create such a pope, a pope that was so bad even this god could not pardon him. :hmm:
Are we there yet?

Reply #21
remember that Donald Trump once said that transgender people could use whatever bathroom they want in his hotel so let's not be too judgy about him!

Reply #22
I totally sympathize with your point of view, and I really do agree he seems a lot nicer than some popes.

But what kind of bugged me is that attitudes of the religious organisation of which he is the head had kind of upset the poor kid in the first place. He was 6, and he was afraid his dad was in hell.

I am of an age now where I get to see about as many funerals as I see weddings in what is still a pretty Catholic country, and I cannot tell you how often I have had to listen to wizened nasty little gnomes warning grieving relatives that they better stick with the church if they want to see them again. During a goddamn funeral mass. There seems to be a machine in this country somewhere that turns out angry hobbits dressed in vestments. There are loads of nice ones too, mind. But good lord it feels like you meet that particular type a lot if you live in a catholic country.

I would have whole-heartedly applauded his performance here of he hadn't included the rider about baptizing his children. Even with it, it is so much nicer than it used to be. I appreciate the way he is even letting nice atheists into heaven these days. The CC is slowly, SLOOOOOWLY starting to shed some of their awful baggage.

But he did include it. And those priests at those funerals I sit through do say those petty, nasty, smallminded things. It doesn't bother me much personally, but it does bother people I know and care about. And I live in a country where the CC is pretty much unavoidable: almost no non-catholic schools, so my agnostic daughter goes to a Catholic one. Funerals happen in churches. Weddings do. Young kids do confirmation and so on. Etc etc etc.

I think the CC could be so much nicer. I think it would be so much better for them: both priests and believers could be so much happier if they could just focus on the joys of faith rather than on areas that clearly conflict with the modern ethos as most people, in this country at least, see it.

I am not so much cynical as I am frustrated, I think. That should absolutely not blind me to what is good and nice and so on, I totally agree with you there. But on the other hand, it is not like THAT much is being asked of these guys either. No-one is asking them to stop believing in God, or to believe that God wants them to live a certain way. It would just be nice if they could stop being jerks in the name of their religion to other people. And sometimes it feels a little bit like they get a round of applause whenever they almost completely fail to be a jerk to other people.
Ireland?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #23
There seems to be a machine in this country somewhere that turns out angry hobbits dressed in vestments.

:sadyes:

That's part of why I appreciate Francis a lot more. Because he surprises me by not being a fucking asshole sometimes.

Yup.

I get what you mean. I'm certainly not a fan of the Catholic Church, and, yeah, it is a low bar to clear. But to me, these little signs of actual Christian compassion make me feel like maybe the entire enterprise isn't 100% awful if someone can get a little bit of comfort out of it. I don't know. It's hard to explain.

Reply #24
A little bit of comfort is highly underrated in this modern culture.