Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Why God made tag clouds.

Topic: Israel (Read 1435 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Israel
Reply #75

Anyone know what criterion Hamas is using for "were Hamas"?

I haven't been following things closely in the past few years, so this is just a guess, but it seems to me that it'd probably be in Hamas's best interests, politically, to claim those people were members.

Whether they were members doesn't really change the fact that snipers were shooting at unarmed teenagers, children, and medical personnel or the greater context.
[/quote]

per this British shit head, wrong!

Reply #76
hamas's brilliant master plan:

-pretend that all the people killed were just regular civilians to drum up sympathy
-assume no one in the world but their allies can read arabic and "admit" that this isn't the case

• uncool
Reply #77
Anyone know what criterion Hamas is using for "were Hamas"?

I haven't been following things closely in the past few years, so this is just a guess, but it seems to me that it'd probably be in Hamas's best interests, politically, to claim those people were members.
That's my guess, too - which works against the pro-Israeli narrative. The narrative generally plays on the idea that Israeli soldiers are being careful only to shoot threats; if Hamas is claiming people who don't support it, or people who wouldn't be a threat, that breaks the Israeli narrative.
Whether they were members doesn't really change the fact that snipers were shooting at unarmed teenagers, children, and medical personnel or the greater context.
Nope, it doesn't.

Reply #78
it's a nice conflation of "anyone in Hamas" and "terrorist," and it also assumes that everyone Hamas claims is actually an active/militant member of Hamas.

Reply #80
This is not a parody account

How long until they're printing the protocols of the elders of Mecca and proposing the final solution to the Muslim question

• nesb
Reply #81

If I were making pro-IDF propaganda, I might shy away from drawing attention to the radical socioeconomic differences between Israelis and Palestinians, but I suppose you have to consider your market.

Reply #82
yeah you have to consider that the target audience consists of the kind of people who already think the problem is just that palestinians are all no better than fundie klansmen who fail at self-governance and The Left is stabbing israel in the back.

Reply #83
US State Passes Law Defining Any Criticism of Israel as 'Anti-Semitic' Just As They Kill 60 Civilians

headline is slightly exaggerating, but only slightly

According to the text of the measure, the definition of "anti-Semitism" will now include:
  • a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of anti-Semitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities;
  • calling for, aiding, or justifying the killing or harming of Jews; making mendacious, dehumanizing, demonizing, or stereotypical allegations about Jews as such or the power of Jews as a collective; accusing Jews as a people of being responsible for real or imagined wrongdoing committed by a single Jewish person or group, the state of Israel, or even for acts committed by non-Jews;
  • accusing the Jews as a people, or Israel as a state, of inventing or exaggerating the Holocaust;
  • accusing Jewish citizens of being more loyal to Israel, or to the alleged priorities of Jews worldwide, than to the interest of their own nations;
  • using the symbols and images associated with classic anti-Semitism to characterize Israel or Israelis;
  • drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis;
  • blaming Israel for all inter-religious or political tensions;
  • applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation;
  • multilateral organizations focusing on Israel only for peace or human rights investigations;
  • denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, and denying Israel the right to exist, provided, however, that criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as anti-Semitic.

As can be determined by the long list of ways in which South Carolina will now define "anti-Semitism," individuals will be forced to tiptoe around a legitimate subject, and expressing an opinion that is no longer considered politically correct can now be legally used against them.

i expect defenders of free speech to shortly go berserk over this

Reply #84
it's cool that israel's defenders are mixing in legitimate understandings of antisemitism with attacks on their horror regime so as to make defending jewish people against real hate much harder

• Faid
Reply #85
applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation;
Heh. So, anytime someone accuses the state of Israel on failings in their behavior, they should follow it with a clause like:

"Israel should not gun down and kill unarmed protesters and even medical personnel!*"

(*) It should be noted that the author holds that a similar behavior should be expected and demanded by all democratic nations, listed as of 2017 in the link below (#1 to #76): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#Democracy_Index_by_country_(2017)"
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #86
thinking it over, that provision of the law might not work out as they hope. critics will have to find examples of awful regimes doing crimes against humanity similar to israel in order to criticize israel, and then every criticism will explicitly link israel to them, like "it is shameful for israel to use its military to kill civilians, just like the assad regime" or "we call on israel to end its holodomor in gaza"

Reply #87
I can't imagine that provision will last more than 10 seconds into the first court challenge against it for a variety of reasons

Reply #88
I can't imagine that provision will last more than 10 seconds into the first court challenge against it for a variety of reasons

on the other hand, what have you been saying about court appointments recently...?