Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: BWRV removed

Topic: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition (Read 9164 times) previous topic - next topic

RAFH and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Re: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition
Reply #625
Those are cop cars! It was an African groundhog obviously.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #626
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/head-kicking-miami-cop-in-video-charged-with-assault-10332576
Last Thursday, a clip went viral of Miami Police Officer Mario Figueroa taking a running start and kicking the head of a defenseless, handcuffed black man.

Now, in an unusually swift chain of events for local police-misconduct cases, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle announced this afternoon that her office had charged Figueroa with one count of misdemeanor assault.

"Officer Mario Figueroa can have no excuse for the alleged actions seen on the initial videotape," Rundle announced in an afternoon news release. "This community demands respect for all individuals taken into custody. Any evidence of abuse, which is also evidence of a crime, will assist us going forward."
This isn't the first time Rundle's office has been presented with video clips of Miami-area cops beating or attacking handcuffed or detained suspects, and in the past, she's often declined to file charges. But in this case, she has moved swiftly -- perhaps because Miami Police Chief Jorge Colina quickly announced Friday that Figueroa had been suspended with pay and noted in an unusually stern statement that the video "depicted a clear violation of policy," placing added pressure on Rundle's office to take action. (It's worth noting MPD is still being monitored by the U.S. Department of Justice after a federal report found the department used excessive force against people of color.)
also, this related article:
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/six-miami-police-brutality-cases-besides-the-kicking-video-10322438

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #627
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/head-kicking-miami-cop-in-video-charged-with-assault-10332576
Last Thursday, a clip went viral of Miami Police Officer Mario Figueroa taking a running start and kicking the head of a defenseless, handcuffed black man.

Now, in an unusually swift chain of events for local police-misconduct cases, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle announced this afternoon that her office had charged Figueroa with one count of misdemeanor assault.

"Officer Mario Figueroa can have no excuse for the alleged actions seen on the initial videotape," Rundle announced in an afternoon news release. "This community demands respect for all individuals taken into custody. Any evidence of abuse, which is also evidence of a crime, will assist us going forward."
This isn't the first time Rundle's office has been presented with video clips of Miami-area cops beating or attacking handcuffed or detained suspects, and in the past, she's often declined to file charges. But in this case, she has moved swiftly -- perhaps because Miami Police Chief Jorge Colina quickly announced Friday that Figueroa had been suspended with pay and noted in an unusually stern statement that the video "depicted a clear violation of policy," placing added pressure on Rundle's office to take action. (It's worth noting MPD is still being monitored by the U.S. Department of Justice after a federal report found the department used excessive force against people of color.)
also, this related article:
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/six-miami-police-brutality-cases-besides-the-kicking-video-10322438
Ooh, nooo! Not suspended with pay? That's so cruel.

Are we there yet?

• uncool
Reply #628

Finally. Now how much abuse of "individualized suspicion" will there be?

Reply #629

Reply #630
I stopped hitting him after I got tired! De-escalation baby!

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #631

In this one, the cop had previously been fired for felony domestic violence, but he got his job back:

Reply #632
who the fuck calls the cops over this sort of petty shit anyway?* I've called the cops exactly one time, and that was when I saw a dude wailing on his gf's (?) car with a shovel as she was slowly driving next to him because I thought things had an actual chance to turn deadly

*I know that this is how white supremacy actually works, even if these people aren't out-and-out "white supremacists"

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #633
I called the cops once because my downstairs neighbor's pregnant daughter was having a nasty argument with her shitbag boyfriend. She was yelling at him to get out, and he was refusing to leave, and then I heard crashing noises and shit breaking.

Then there was the time in Chicago when I had my wallet stolen at a restaurant, but the manager called the cops for me. And the time when this lady hit my car by merging into my lane at an interchange on the highway. It was an actual accident, but she just tapped me so there wasn't much damage. I pulled off, but she kept going the other way. I wanted to report it to be safe just in case I was supposed to or just in case she was going to go to the cops and claim I ran off from the scene of an accident or whatever, so they told me to go to the station. I told the cop, and he was like *shrug*, and I was like *shrug*, and that was the end of it.

I also called the non-emergency number one time when my neighbors had a bunch of people over and literally blocked the entire street with their parked cars so no one could get in or out. They didn't show up anyway.

But lol just remembered about the guy who was stalking me and following me around in Chicago that one time, and I didn't call the cops and just ran off instead.

Oh then there was the time where this lady with 2 kids who lived a couple of doors down from Ty had the one shitbag guy who was beating up on her and then her ex or some other guy came over and was busting down the door with a sledgehammer. I'm pretty sure another neighbor had called the cops before we heard the commotion, but we did see the mom and kids running away and had them hide in the apartment until the cops and ambulance showed up. I don't really remember much except the boy saying the guy had broken some glass over his mom's head and was wielding a screwdriver, and she was dazed and out of it and bleeding from her forehead. Good times.

Reply #634
who the fuck calls the cops over this sort of petty shit anyway?* I've called the cops exactly one time, and that was when I saw a dude wailing on his gf's (?) car with a shovel as she was slowly driving next to him because I thought things had an actual chance to turn deadly

*I know that this is how white supremacy actually works, even if these people aren't out-and-out "white supremacists"

Too many unfortunately...

https://www.theroot.com/cookingoutwhileblack-white-woman-calls-cops-on-black-1825920347

https://www.theroot.com/a-black-yale-student-took-a-nap-in-a-dorm-common-room-1825893057

https://www.theroot.com/blackwhileairbnbeing-3-filmmakers-checking-out-of-ren-1825823565#ignr7ojmw6svyf2f.qcftuqc4k2qg

The bitch who called on the Yale student is a real piece of work:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #635

phew it's a good thing they had so many officers there to take care of this dangerous criminal

THANK JESUS the Officers went Home Safe to their Family's!

• uncool
Reply #636
Deleted already. What was it?

Reply #637
 Bunch of cops hassling an older black woman. Not super violent but super scary if you were her. 3 or 4 pulled her out of her car and the shoved her around to the back of the car. The issue was that there were around 6 of them doing the job. I didn't have the sound on so it might have been more dramatic if you did.

Reply #638

• nesb
Reply #639
Free speech

• nesb
Reply #640
only matters when racists are speaking

Reply #641
Real armed resistance better not use facebook.

Reply #642

Reply #643

Reply #644
Jesus Christ that is awful

Even if it weren't so regularly abused, 10 years in prison minimum for assault

Reply #645
follow up tweet corrected it, not a 10 year minimum

Reply #646
Just means make sure you hurt them bad so it will be worth it. 10000 people could all assault an officer together...

Reply #647
follow up tweet corrected it, not a 10 year minimum
Of course not. It's got to have a provision for white people.

Reply #648
not really sure where this belongs but

Reply #649
Because of course he did.