Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Home of the shitty TR Memescape

Topic: Hints that some memory may be stored in RNA? (Read 167 times) previous topic - next topic

• Monad
Hints that some memory may be stored in RNA?
This could be huge:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44111476

potentially could completely change our understanding of how memory works, the concept of memory RNA has been around for some time but more in scifi than sci fact.
  • Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:58:51 PM by Monad

• nesb
Re: Hints that some memory may be stored in RNA?
Reply #1
How, though?

Reply #2
Magic
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• nesb
Reply #3
Ryan, Tonegawa and Glanzman all think that LTP, with its bulked-up synapses, is important for retrieving memories, but not the thing that actually stores them. It's quite possible to have stored memories that aren't readily accessible, what Glanzman calls "occult memories" [emphasis mine] and Tonegawa refers to as "silent engrams." Both think the concept applies more broadly than in just the sea slugs and mice they study.
-https://www.sciencenews.org/article/memory-brain-engram-neuroscience

Hmmm....

• nesb
Reply #4
For real, though, I honestly don't know if Glanzman hasn't adequately worked out the mechanism behind his hypothesis, or if my lack of knowledge concerning epigenetics, and the like, just makes it so I don't understand it. The evidence is the evidence, either way, but if Glanzman can't explain how things are supposed to work, according to his proposal, then I'm still prone to skepticism.

• Peez
Reply #5
I did not read the original article, but based on the news piece it seems possible that the term "memory" is being used rather uncritically.  If the snail's reaction is mediated by some metabolic process that involves RNA, then adding some of that RNA to another snail might cause it to react in a similar fashion.  Whether this would be "memory" is a semantic question, but one should not conflate it with other sorts of "memory".

Peez

Reply #6
I did not read the original article, but based on the news piece it seems possible that the term "memory" is being used rather uncritically.  If the snail's reaction is mediated by some metabolic process that involves RNA, then adding some of that RNA to another snail might cause it to react in a similar fashion.  Whether this would be "memory" is a semantic question, but one should not conflate it with other sorts of "memory".

Peez
Yeah, all it would take is the original stimulus to create a transcriptional response, then transferring the RNA to another animal would allow a quicker rapid response to the same stimulus...   Calling it "memory" is salesmanship.
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #7
Here's the actual research paper:

RNA from Trained Aplysia Can Induce an Epigenetic Engram for Long- Term Sensitization in Untrained Aplysia

I strongly doubt this is going to withstand much scrutiny.

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #8
For real, though, I honestly don't know if Glanzman hasn't adequately worked out the mechanism behind his hypothesis, or if my lack of knowledge concerning epigenetics, and the like, just makes it so I don't understand it. The evidence is the evidence, either way, but if Glanzman can't explain how things are supposed to work, according to his proposal, then I'm still prone to skepticism.
from my handwavey understanding of what epigenetics is, it already could be argued to constitute "memory", in a loose sense.  but that wouldn't be news, so I'm guessing they're saying more than that.  and I'll trust the people here who know something about it that it smells like baloney.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #9
It's 1960 all over again.  James V. McConnell would be laughing his ass off over this.

If Kaczynski hadn't ruined his hearing, and of course, if he was still alive.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• uncool
Reply #10
It's 1960 all over again.  James V. McConnell would be laughing his ass off over this.

If Kaczynski hadn't ruined his hearing, and of course, if he was still alive.
Still one of the best footnotes in math.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0511366.pdf

• Fenrir
Reply #11
Wonders at any parallels to heat shock proteins in plants.
It's what plants crave.