Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• I think that PM uses almost any topic with the intent to shock other people and that he holds pretty much no beliefs of his own. I am pretty sure that PM is the walking embodiment of schadenfreude and lacks anything resembling the conceptualization of a soul. He is not worth even trying to shock, because he is incapable of so human an emotion. But thats just my opinion.

Topic: stranger things owns (Read 695 times) previous topic - next topic

stranger things owns
that is all

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: stranger things owns
Reply #1
Poor Barb. No one cares about Barb. :sadcheer:

Reply #2
i cared, meepmork. i cared.

Reply #3
Damn the series gets even better with the 3rd episode.

Reply #4
fyi it never stops getting better

Reply #5
i am 5 episodes in.  lots of flaws, but extremely fun and entertaining

• Y.B
Reply #6
Just watched the 8th episode.  Good stuff. Hopefully there'll be another season (as it looks like there will be).

Reply #7
here is some awful shit for you (didn't read very far, so I don't know if there are spoilers)

http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/08/30/stranger-things-and-the-perils-of-nostalgia/

Reply #8
here is some awful shit for you (didn't read very far, so I don't know if there are spoilers)

http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/08/30/stranger-things-and-the-perils-of-nostalgia/
The Slippery Slope Of Nostalgia

Stranger Things manages to encapsulate all of the worst elements of clumsily-crafted television--clunky dialogue, blatant sexism, and poorly written characters and scenarios--all celebrated under the auspices of nostalgia, a wistful pining for a past that perhaps never existed. I believe the sensation people are actually nostalgic for is how they remembered television/film looked and felt in the '80s, not what the reality was. Either way, it's a bleak yearning. To revel in a state of nostalgia is to be comfortable; this is dangerous because comfort is in direct opposition to change and growth.

We are currently experiencing an absolute explosion of quality, dramatic episodic programming that rivals the best dramatic Hollywood feature film releases. Spectacle may still fill theater seats, but television is where many entertainment aficionados now turn for their story fixes; these stories have all but dethroned the Hollywood feature film monolith. Unfortunately, Stranger Things does little to nothing to propel us forward into this Golden Age of television.

This is bizarre. She managed to pull exactly what isn't a part of the narrative as her description of the narrative.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #9
ah, the blatant sexism of a show that subverts the horror movie cliche of killing women for having sex and portrays single mothers as awesome people and slut shaming as a really shameful dastardly act

Reply #10
ah, the blatant sexism of a show that subverts the horror movie cliche of killing women for having sex and portrays single mothers as awesome people and slut shaming as a really shameful dastardly act

stealing

Reply #11
lol, that got me called a mansplainer

Reply #12
By the author of the article?

Reply #13
no, someone in a facebook thread about the article

Reply #14
Same thing I guess.

Reply #15
lol, that got me called a mansplainer

lol

Reply #16
this character is treated and taken seriously as a badass on blatantly sexist television show "stranger things"

Reply #17
PD if you want to speak these peoples' language (i.e., borrow the analytic authority of having a vajay) link this: http://www.themarysue.com/the-stranger-sex-subverting-gendered-tropes-in-stranger-things/

Reply #18
I hate that website.  but that could be a powerful weapon.

Reply #19
Have to say, Winona Ryder is amazing at least in the first 5 episodes.

Reply #21
I hate that website.  but that could be a powerful weapon.

the enemy of my enemy...

• Y.B

Reply #23
http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/stranger-things-fails-the-bechdel-test-but-does-it-fail-feminists

"the bullies gay-shame Will and slut-shame Nancy;"

shit, we wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea about bullies

eta: this article isn't bad overall, so maybe these are shit examples being quoted more than endorsed.
  • Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:10:46 PM by the idea of Harambe

Reply #24
the betchel test is one of those things that's always seemed more interesting in aggregate than for understanding individual films. like BMI for how unhealthy a population is.