Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Not nearly as retarded as those other "rational" sites.

Topic: stranger things owns (Read 693 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: stranger things owns
Reply #25
I feel its one of those things that nobody cares about in a Raymond Chandler first person-perspective novel (unless the POV character is a male), but when films that really should be able to pass, fail, then you can't help but be disappointed. (I'd also suggest that at least in things like crime thrillers you give a pass if the women are discussing evidence that leads to finding out who they are). The other thing is that they need a reason to interact, and at least in Stranger Things case pretty much any interaction between "mom of missing kid and mom of missing kid's best friend" is going to be about their children.

I actually really like that article. I just think that having applied the "But a lot of that behavior serves to situate the show in its time period", and noted that its not going "hurr durr historically accurate", (more "historically accurate, ask your mum what it was like and how her and her friends dealt with the bullshit"), it fails to apply that to the bullies- for one thing they're not presented as being particularly complex 3D characters, because the bullies in ET weren't either.
Why do I bother?

Reply #26
the betchel test is one of those things that's always seemed more interesting in aggregate than for understanding individual films. like BMI for how unhealthy a population is.

Agreed.  It's application here is a good example of its flaws because apparently two moms talking about a missing boy child doesn't count

Reply #27
I actually really like that article. I just think that having applied the "But a lot of that behavior serves to situate the show in its time period", and noted that its not going "hurr durr historically accurate", (more "historically accurate, ask your mum what it was like and how her and her friends dealt with the bullshit"), it fails to apply that to the bullies- for one thing they're not presented as being particularly complex 3D characters, because the bullies in ET weren't either.

notable exception is steve, the cool jerk with a heart of gold

Reply #28
Yeah he's not as awful as you expect him to be

Reply #29
Ok just watched episode 6, he comes off a bit worse. Still understandable to at least a small extent though

Reply #30
He does act like a dick, and its not surprising that Nancy turns to Jonathan for support.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why do I bother?

Reply #31
neither jonathan nor steve do much worse/better than what you'd expect of teenagers. what i liked about the first "jerkass steve" scene when he breaks jon's camera is that he's not really totally in the wrong. jon's not some perfect misunderstood nice guy, he's a peeping tom. maybe breaking his camera wasn't the right thing to do but steve has a legitimate concern there. it's not just arbitrary cruelty. so they are both realistically flawed but both basically good in some way or at least have that potential

Reply #32
also just want to give a lol shout out to how awesome the opening title sequence is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDZkbq0Zp8

Reply #33
neither jonathan nor steve do much worse/better than what you'd expect of teenagers. what i liked about the first "jerkass steve" scene when he breaks jon's camera is that he's not really totally in the wrong. jon's not some perfect misunderstood nice guy, he's a peeping tom. maybe breaking his camera wasn't the right thing to do but steve has a legitimate concern there. it's not just arbitrary cruelty. so they are both realistically flawed but both basically good in some way or at least have that potential
I was thinking more of his involvement in slut-shaming her. Definitely a jerkass move, and yes Jonathan's in the wrong for being a peeping tom. I was thinking more in that she goes to him because she thinks he can help her find Barb, and stands by him when Steve does start acting like a jerkass. I think my favourite bit about both those characters is that they're flawed, realise when they screw up, and work to fix things.
Why do I bother?

Reply #34
i also like the part where a 13 year old (??) girl snaps a dude's neck with her mind

Reply #35
That was pretty good
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Y.B
Reply #36
http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/stranger-things-fails-the-bechdel-test-but-does-it-fail-feminists

"the bullies gay-shame Will and slut-shame Nancy;"

shit, we wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea about bullies

eta: this article isn't bad overall, so maybe these are shit examples being quoted more than endorsed.

The article is really over-analyzing/overthinking imo.

Reply #37
fewer people care about your opinion than stranger things characters care about barb, tho

• Y.B
Reply #38
 :smith:

Reply #39
finished last night.  mostly good final episode, although I could've done without the obvious is she still alive/is he infected/etc kinda tells.

Reply #41
what's supposed to happen there?  I'm only getting a still frame

Reply #42
lol finally worked.