Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: Death by Exile

Topic: They've found Franklin's Terror in a Nunavut bay. (Read 1338 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: They've found Franklin's Terror in a Nunavut bay.
Reply #25
Britain has announced it will give Canada the shipwrecks of British explorer John Franklin, who perished with his crew while trying to chart the North-west Passage through the Arctic in the 1840s.

HMS Erebus and HMS Terror were found in 2014 and 2016 about 30 miles (48km) apart near King William Island in the Canadian Arctic, some 1,200 miles (2,000km) north-west of Toronto.
Under an agreement between the two countries, the wrecks were the property of Britain although Canada had custody and control of them. The UK Ministry Of Defence said on Monday it would transfer the ownership to Parks Canada, but retain a small sample of artefacts.
The British defence secretary, Michael Fallon, said the arrangement "will ensure that these wrecks and artefacts are conserved for future generations".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/23/britain-to-give-canada-recently-found-1800s-arctic-shipwrecks

Reply #26
I sometimes listen to the news in Inuktitut just because it sounds so good, solid, rhythmic, and soothing.
I love that a alternative to youtube has sprung up, it's introduced me to the music of Saali
http://inuktitube.com/
Quote from: Dave Hawkins on Sun Jan 14 2018 19:59:03 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)
you suck at truth detection. (And spelling)

Reply #27
I went to the Vasa museum in stockholm where they raised a 400 year old ship. The big trick is replacing the seawater as the ship dried. I forget what they used, some sort of glycerine mixture I think. You have to keep spraying it every half hour for years or it will crack up as it dries.
It was a polyethylene glycol (PEG) solution. Some info in English on Vasa's history at http://www.regalskeppetvasa.se

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #28
Inuit oral historian who pointed way to Franklin shipwrecks dies aged 58

Growing up in the Canadian Arctic, Louie Kamookak was captivated by tales from Inuit elders of rusted utensils strewn along a remote shore and mysterious white men using ropes to haul a large ship through the ice.

Years later, he realized there was a striking resemblance between the stories of his youth and historical accounts of the ill-fated expedition of Sir John Franklin, whose two ships - and 129 crew members - vanished while searching for the North-West Passage in the 1840s.

Kamookak compared Inuit stories with explorers' logbooks and journals to develop a working theory of where the ships might be.

He shared these thoughts with Canadian archaeologists, and was eventually vindicated in a spectacular fashion when, using his directions, divers located the HMS Erebus in 2014, and two years later, the Terror.

Both ships were found exactly where Kamookak had predicted.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

Reply #29
This show looks pretty good.