Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: We let almost anyone in

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 115659 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #9625
Trump reportedly had to be talked out of killing the Iran deal each time he had to rubberstamp its renewal, so that's probably a consistent belief. But Pompeo will have to publicly adress lots of other issues as Sec. State, only to be contradicted by improvised Trump tweets.
even with a new batch of idiots, ideologues, and yes-men in his cabinet, i think trump's advisers will still have a tendency to push back against his dumb cartoon-thinking and fox news isms.  once they're in those jobs they get plugged into policy in a real and concrete way, and the professionals below them show them the pros and cons of various options, and they gain some appreciation for what the good and bad moves would be. 

e.g., tearing up the iran deal would give iran a rock solid excuse to kick out inspectors and resume research we're concerned about, in return for...  (wait for it) ... nothing.  if trump is thinking he can bring back sanctions to pressure them into giving more, that is unlikely.  the multilateral sanctions are gone, and there is no international political appetite for restoring them outside the treaty framework - especially not if it's based on a random, unilateral decision by trump.  there is a mechanism under the treaty to make them "snap back", but it requires that Iran violate the treaty - which they haven't, even according to the trump administration - and it would need to be certified by 3/5 of US, UK, France, russia, and china; of whom I think the UK is the only one we might get to go along.  lastly of course we could do unilateral sanctions, though those are ineffective, symbolic garbage that would only accomplish snubbing iran on the world stage and giving them an excuse to break the treaty.

I think even shitty cabinet members can look at things like that and think "maybe we should slow down here".

• nesb

• ksen
Reply #9627
Trump reportedly had to be talked out of killing the Iran deal each time he had to rubberstamp its renewal, so that's probably a consistent belief. But Pompeo will have to publicly adress lots of other issues as Sec. State, only to be contradicted by improvised Trump tweets.
even with a new batch of idiots, ideologues, and yes-men in his cabinet, i think trump's advisers will still have a tendency to push back against his dumb cartoon-thinking and fox news isms.  once they're in those jobs they get plugged into policy in a real and concrete way, and the professionals below them show them the pros and cons of various options, and they gain some appreciation for what the good and bad moves would be. 

e.g., tearing up the iran deal would give iran a rock solid excuse to kick out inspectors and resume research we're concerned about, in return for...  (wait for it) ... nothing.  if trump is thinking he can bring back sanctions to pressure them into giving more, that is unlikely.  the multilateral sanctions are gone, and there is no international political appetite for restoring them outside the treaty framework - especially not if it's based on a random, unilateral decision by trump.  there is a mechanism under the treaty to make them "snap back", but it requires that Iran violate the treaty - which they haven't, even according to the trump administration - and it would need to be certified by 3/5 of US, UK, France, russia, and china; of whom I think the UK is the only one we might get to go along.  lastly of course we could do unilateral sanctions, though those are ineffective, symbolic garbage that would only accomplish snubbing iran on the world stage and giving them an excuse to break the treaty.

I think even shitty cabinet members can look at things like that and think "maybe we should slow down here".

You still actually believe this?

• el jefe
Reply #9628
anyway, it may not matter because he seems to be on a self-actualization kick this week.  he's not just replacing people, he's also fed up with people saying no to him, so now he's just saying screw it and going full crazy.  it'll have some disastrous effects, and Kelly Anne will point to those and say "see? we need to slow down and listen to our advisers more. can we do that?" and it will convince him.  in the mean time, though, it will be terrifying to see what price the country and world will pay for trump's latest lesson in presidenting.

we should count ourselves lucky if all he does this time is create a new "space force" branch of the military

• el jefe
Reply #9629
jfc we elected an 8 year old

Reply #9630

Reply #9631
posadism is real

• nesb
Reply #9632
Space Force might be a good way to recruit for the military. You get kids to join the space force, then put a rifle in their hands and send them to Afghanistan.

Reply #9633
Or just for real real launch them into space, never to return

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.

• uncool
Reply #9635
So Kris Kobach is in court against the ACLU about Kansas's proof of citizenship law. And it's as ridiculous as you'd expect.

The tweet author has a lot of information on this case; read it to get a sense of the awful, terrifying hilarity. Like the lawyers being walked through evidence 101 by the judge. 3 times in the first 2 days, at least.

ETA2: Question to the Kansas attorney general's spokesperson: "I asked the Kansas AG's office if they still had confidence in Kobach's ability to represent the state in voting trial." Response: "The secretary of state requested to represent himself in this and related cases. For any comment, I refer you to the secretary of state's office."

ETA3:

And for all you academics that work with statistics out there:

And worse,
  • Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:18:27 PM by uncool

Reply #9636

Reply #9637
Larry Kudlow is now the top economic advisor

Larry Kudlow is a moron

• el jefe
Reply #9638
larry Kudlow used to have an expensive coke habit

and he's a moron

• el jefe
Reply #9639
rand paul opposes both Pompeo as secretary of state and haspel as cia director, and is willing to filibuster both

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/14/rand-paul-opposes-mike-pompeo-state-461749

I meant to predict this, but forgot to make the post

anyway, paul + mccain could stop haspel even if a filibuster is overcome

and Paul + one more republican could stop Pompeo as secretary of state (mccain wasn't opposed to him).  however, I'm worried they could still pick up one of the Democrats who voted against the iran deal.

Reply #9640

I meant to predict this, but forgot to make the post

looks like you've finally found a way to reliably make accurate predictions.

• el jefe
Reply #9641
I knew you were going to say that, but didn't get around to saying so

• MSG
Reply #9642
braying among the ruins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #9643
NY Post is saying Junior and his wife are divorcing.

But this right here... :

lol

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'

Reply #9646
Lol forever

Lol at anyone dumb enough to vote for this man

Reply #9647
the hit to amerikkka's global stature is a nice silver lining.

eta: woke voting for trump in 2020 to combat yanqui imperialism

• ksen
Reply #9648
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/15/17120702/larry-kudlow-trump-nec-economist-cable

Trump is basically trying to turn his administration into a literal cable news show.

Reply #9649