Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• You aint got eight telescopes and a house in Monterey. I aint got a healthy heart. We all have our crosses to bear.

Topic: Global warming is making for record cold  (Read 1863 times) previous topic - next topic

• SR-71
  • Schmewbie
Re: Global warming is making for record cold
Reply #100
https://www.livescience.com/62006-arctic-warms-united-states-freezes.html

And the relationship between Arctic warmth and severe winter weather was strongest in in the northeastern U.S. -- in fact, a temperature spike in the Arctic meant that the U.S. Northeast was two to four times more likely than usual to experience a bout of extreme winter weather, the scientists reported in a new study.

I noticed the inverse relation, but hesitated to mention it until someone who studies these things did.  Well, now we have it, published in March 2018 in Nature Communications.

Past climate projections predicted that, in a warming world, winters would be the seasons to heat up the fastest -- and yet recent winters in the Northern Hemisphere were more severe than scientists anticipated, said Judah Cohen, the study's lead author and director of seasonal forecasting at Atmospheric and Environmental Research, an organization that assesses risks from weather events and climate change.

To understand what might be driving these unusual episodes, Cohen and his colleagues looked at pulses of warmth in the Arctic during winter months, to see how they lined up against weather anomalies elsewhere in the globe.

"When the Arctic pulse is warm, you tend to get an increase in occurrences of extreme winter weather across the midlatitudes, including the eastern U.S., northern Europe and northern Asia," Cohen told Live Science.

The relationship between spiking Arctic warmth and pockets of cold to the south was "really, really strong" -- and it was strongest in the eastern U.S., Cohen said.

Of course, FX and Cephus are way smarter than these deceitful eggheads and will soon set the record straight about what's really behind the inverse relationship.

Reply #101
Of course this is hardly the first study to find such a connection, as the authors themselves note. I posted links to several others in one of the other FX denial vanity threads. This is definitely the most specific as far as effects on the continental U.S. though.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #102
https://www.livescience.com/62006-arctic-warms-united-states-freezes.html

And the relationship between Arctic warmth and severe winter weather was strongest in in the northeastern U.S. -- in fact, a temperature spike in the Arctic meant that the U.S. Northeast was two to four times more likely than usual to experience a bout of extreme winter weather, the scientists reported in a new study.

I noticed the inverse relation, but hesitated to mention it until someone who studies these things did.
From when I started this topic
Now you can blame record cold and snow on global warming.  Or rather on people, who obviously control the weather now.

That's right, we are making the winters colder.

It's science.
Maybe you should read a topic before posting in it.

:parrot:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭