Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: give some hasty rationalization, launch into some tangentially related crap, and then when someone replies to the initial point, pretend that the real topic is your freshly squeezed-out nugget of rhetoric

Topic: 55 Vehicle Pile-up on I-95 at Baltimore (Read 205 times) previous topic - next topic

55 Vehicle Pile-up on I-95 at Baltimore
A witness caught the worst of yesterday's chain reaction pile-up on his camera phone. Tanker truck skids off the overpass and crashes onto the ground below, and explodes.  Flames are shooting up each side of the overpass as another truck coms in, the driver trying to brake, the cab door is open so he is ready to jump. And again and again. The ones that manage to stop before rolling into the fire are hit from behind by the ones that couldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeR8tbnTIBg
  • Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:26:34 PM by Autonemesis

Re: 55 Vehicle Pile-up on I-95 at Baltimore
Reply #1
Hot damn
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2
On second thought, the cab door might have been open because he had already jumped.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-Id-mXtUM

The idea of mandating every vehicle have computer connection to every other video (it was on the news last week) to actually prevent accidents would save lives and a shit ton of money and suffering.  So of course certain groups will fight tooth and nail to prevent the ;logical and really fucking cool idea of stopping accidents, and making everyone accountable for their driving.

Because people are assholes.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #4
No kidding at all.  Start with the trucks, which already have GPS and other safety systems in them.  Make them aware of every other truck nearby, and stop this stupid shit.

It's not the stone age anymore, you complete asshole speeding drivers.

Trucks used to use CB radios, and it prevented a lot of these kinds of accidents.  Now, even when you know a truck is speeding to certain death, no way to warn them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuU0udn6Vn4
  • Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:51:07 AM by F X
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #5
No kidding at all.  Start with the trucks, which already have GPS and other safety systems in them.  Make them aware of every other truck nearby, and stop this stupid shit.

It's not the stone age anymore, you complete asshole speeding drivers.

Trucks used to use CB radios, and it prevented a lot of these kinds of accidents.  Now, even when you know a truck is speeding to certain death, no way to warn them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuU0udn6Vn4
There's a perfectly good base system already out there and it works. It's called AIS. Automatic Identification System. For shipping. It's used world wide and is extremely effective. One can have both transmit and receive or just receive, as is common with many yachties. Better to have both, so that big freighter coming your way at 12 knots in a serious cross current and with a strong wind running perpendicular, with lots of other traffic and a tight channel knows you are there. The bugs have been worked out. Well, mostly, never get them all. But it does work and works well. It's not that expensive and saves massive amounts of property damage not to mention the occasional life here and there.

I see no reason it could not be adapted to major roads. At least in areas of high congestion or frequent pileups.

In California, the most notorious site is on I-5 between Harris Ranch and Patterson. The San Joaquin Valley gets serious pea soup fogs in the winter. Somebody gets sleepy and runs off the road, somebody notices and stops, somebody doesn't notice and gets stopped. One thing leads to another. Pretty soon you have a fairly well supplied parts depot.
Are we there yet?

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #6
They are talking about a Wifi system, that can auto brake cars and trucks, as well as warning drivers.  It would only "know" about anyone close enough to you to be a danger, like 300 meters.

But considering trains still don't have a system, nor all planes, I can see a battle ahead.

Assholes resist shit like this with a passion.  It would also mean you can't drive like an asshole anymore.

― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #7
I mean seriously, you would think they could stop train accidents, considering how expensive and dangerous a train is.

But fuck no, they still run into each other, or go off the rails, all the fucking time
― Mark Twain 🔭

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #8
I mean seriously, you would think they could stop train accidents, considering how expensive and dangerous a train is.

But fuck no, they still run into each other, or go off the rails, all the fucking time

How many times to trains actually run into each other versus some idiot in a car or truck getting stuck on the tracks, or idiot at the controls going to fast around a corner or into a station (though I agree those last two should be easily preventable with technology).

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #9
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #10
Even once a year, where a train just runs into another train, is too many times.  The technology to prevent this actually exists.  It's a human problem.  Getting the system to be used.

― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #11
Considering how expensive a truck running smack into another truck is, you would think a Wifi system that would prevent this, would be embraced with joy.

― Mark Twain 🔭

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #12
At quick glance I don't see causes listed that could have been prevented by some kind of automated system. 

The exception is Hoboken which is an example I cited above (idiot conductor going to fast into the station).  The other's could have been similar but without more information we don't know. 

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #13
Whatever the reason, you would think in 2016, mankind could solve the problem of trains going off the rails.  Especially when so many are loaded with crude oil, or other very dangerous loads, which simply fuck things up in such a major way.

People are such assholes.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #14
Speaking of, in 2014 (last year I could find stats) in the US alone there were over 7000 crashes involving trucks, where people fucking died.  That's just the fatal accidents.

7000 crashes. 

That's 19 people a day die because a truck crashes.

The number of "just" crashes is so much higher.
― Mark Twain 🔭