Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TR: It's a bunch of neoconservatives masquerading as liberals, and drawing liberals in and trashing them.

Topic: Oh. My. Gosh. Guy Berthault Video Gold (Read 2001 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Oh. My. Gosh. Guy Berthault Video Gold
Reply #50
I predict that in order to get several layers, you would have to deposit the sand and cement in MOVING water ... so you need a flume.

How about you take a big basin of water.  Add some sand. Let it settle.  Then add some (geez not cement you idiot) gravel.  Let it settle.  Then add some sand.  Then let it settle.  Then add some gravel. Then let it settle.

Would that be another way of producing layers, Dave?

Here's another experiment you could do:

Take a deep glass of water.  Add some sand and compost, stir it around with a shortish stick so you only stir the upper part of the tank, then put a lid on it and leave it for a while.

Repeat several times. 

After several repeats, what will you see at the bottom of the tank?

Yes, now we are getting somewhere.  I was beginning to think you were afraid of laboratory experiments.
Both Pingu and I actually work in laboratories, Hawkins.
You don't.

Yes I know which is why I was going to be surprised if you were scared of this laboratory experiment I have proposed.

Reply #51
So there are two key experiments we would want to perform ...

1) Adding mixed particle size sediment to CALM water multiple times, and
2) Adding mixed particle size sediment to MOVING water once

Then study and compare the resulting layers.
^^^^^

• Pingu
Reply #52

Or you could accept, as you do, that there are a number of mechanisms by which sediment can form alternating layers, and check out which mechanism applies to Lake Kalksjon.

Or you could :badger:
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #53
Hey Dave, remember that thread on the old forum "Geologic Features that Creationists can't Explain"?  The one that made you shit your pants and run crying from the room?  We can resurrect some of those examples if your like.  I'd love to see your experiment showing how a one-time Flood can create angular unconformities or 180 deg. switchback incised meanders.

You game?   :]

• Faid
Reply #54
Or vertical dinosaur tracks.

Or burrows.

Or raindrops.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Pingu
Reply #55
Or the 9,000 radiocarbon dated varves of Lake Kalksjon.

Reply #56

^^^^^
I see we've lost interest in this question.

More fun posting badger pics I guess.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #57

^^^^^
"we"?
You were the only one who proposed to do this.
I have yet to see a rationale - a stated hypothesis and how this is supposed to test it.
So I never had that much interest in it.
But now YOU'VE lost interest in it too?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #58
I predict that in order to get several layers, you would have to deposit the sand and cement in MOVING water ... so you need a flume.

How about you take a big basin of water.  Add some sand. Let it settle.  Then add some (geez not cement you idiot) gravel.  Let it settle.  Then add some sand.  Then let it settle.  Then add some gravel. Then let it settle.

Take a deep glass of water.  Add some sand and compost, stir it around with a shortish stick so you only stir the upper part of the tank, then put a lid on it and leave it for a while.

Repeat several times. 

Yes, now we are getting somewhere.  I was beginning to think you were afraid of laboratory experiments.
Both Pingu and I actually work in laboratories, Hawkins.
You don't.

Yes I know which is why I was going to be surprised if you were scared of this laboratory experiment I have proposed.
I'm "scared" of wasting time on "experiments" with no stated hypothesis or - if there is a stated hypothesis - one that is of no interest, or - if there is a hypothesis of any interest - no statement of how the experiment is supposed to test it.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #59

^^^^^

Why is it interesting, Dave?  What is much more interesting (or should be, to a truth seeker) is why, when we know that the first 3000 varves of Lake Kalksjon were produced by a well-studied annual mechanism, we should have any reason to think that the remaining 6000 were produced by a quite different mechanism of exponentially increasing (as you go down the layers) frequency.

Can you even suggest such a process?

Reply #60
Why is it interesting, Dave?  What is much more interesting (or should be, to a truth seeker) is why, when we know that the first 3000 varves of Lake Kalksjon were produced by a well-studied annual mechanism, we should have any reason to think that the remaining 6000 were produced by a quite different mechanism of exponentially increasing (as you go down the layers) frequency.

Can you even suggest such a process?
(and then explain why it produces a matching change in the rate of radioactive decay, but let's not get ahead of ourselves)

• JonF
Reply #61

^^^^^

Nobody's stopping you.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #62

I'm looking forward to your results, Dave.

I suggest you use a mixture of sand and compost, or just nice loamy soil if you prefer.  You probably have lots of that.

Use a deep glass tank (I'm sure someone's got an old aquarium tank you can borrow) and add handfuls of loam once a week.

I predict that you will see alternating layers of mostly mineral material and mostly waterlogged organic material, and each couplet will represent one of the occasions on which you added your handful of soil.

What do you think you will see?

Reply #63
In THIS thread, I am more interested in the Tonto Group which consists of limestone / mudstone / sandstone ... I don't think there is significant organic material in there.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #64
In THIS thread, I am more interested in the Tonto Group which consists of limestone / mudstone / sandstone ... I don't think there is significant organic material in there.
Indeed. Where do you think the organic matter went?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #65
Do you have anything to add that wasn't thoroughly discussed here:
Mike and Dave Paleogeography Discussion
Mike and Dave Paleogeography Discussion - Part 2
Mike and Dave Paleogeography Discussion - Part 3
Mike and Dave Paleogeography Discussion- Part 4
Mike and Dave Paleogeography Discussion- Part 5
Mike and Dave Paleogeography Discussion- Part 6

... or is this just another case of

:grandpa:
  • Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:36:21 AM by VoxRat

Reply #66
For a guy who loves to generalize everything having to do with agriculture, you sure do avoid generalizing anything having to do with geology.

Anyway, the topic you are looking for is called hydrological sorting. Go read up.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Pingu
Reply #67

Repeat several times. 

Are you afraid of answering my question?

Reply #68
No.

Reply #69
 I don't think there is anything I'm afraid of. I'm one of the most fearless people I know of.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #70
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #71
I don't think there is anything I'm afraid of. I'm one of the most fearless people I know of.
:facepalm:
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

Reply #72
 Anyway why would it be scary for even the most timid of people to one day wake up and realize that there is no God or heaven or hell after all?

• Pingu
Reply #73

I don't think so, Dave.

You show copious evidence of being terrified of evidence that you suspect might threaten your preferred conclusions.

Reply #74
You are also one of the smartest people you know of. Amirite?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor