Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: spewing shitposts into the twitterverse for 4 years and counting

Topic: The Trump Kompromat Fact: Whereby we discuss the realness of the piss tape (Read 50195 times) previous topic - next topic

brugroffil and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
  • Doobie Keebler
  • I've got a lot of problems with you people
Re: The Trump Kompromat Theory
Reply #2575
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Pingu
Reply #2576
It's actually evidence that news that is ACTUALLY wrong gets corrected.

Actual faked news doesn't.
While that's true, it's also evidence that there is a rush to publish, before looking for things that need correction. These are three big stories whose corrections were basic and easy to check - and the publishing journalists apparently failed to do so. It is a relief that our entire journalistic system did manage to correct it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the error occurred when it should not have.

However, when rephrased in those terms - that our journalistic system is a self-correcting system - there is a major problem: that that hypothesis is unfalsifiable. How do you check whether the journalistic system self-corrects? By whether journalists corrected an error. What happens when an error isn't corrected? The error becomes historical/journalistic "fact".

Yes, it's better that our journalistic system has some self-correction mechanisms. But that doesn't show what you said (or implied) - that (all or most) wrong news gets corrected.

No, but it's evidence that correction is part of the system.  It's evidence that the aim of the organisation is to get things right rather than promote a narrative.

That evidence is totally lacking in what Trump puts out.

I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #2577
Doesn't matter to a significant portion of the electorate though.

Reply #2578
Doesn't matter to a significant portion of the electorate though.
A significant portion of people believe admitting being wrong and issuing corrections when you learn new information is a sign of weakness, stupidity, etc. Compare to Trump, who never admits to being wrong and they view as a strong leader.

Like fundamentalists' view of science correcting and evolving theories and understanding of the world rather than maintaining a singular "truth" eternally.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #2579
So will they try to fire Mueller before or after Christmas?

Schiff is concerned the GOP is trying to end the House Intelligence Committee investigation:

And the insanity with those stupid texts continues:
http://www.businessinsider.com/doj-says-early-release-of-fbi-agents-texts-was-not-authorized-2017-12

The Department of Justice acknowledged in a statement on Thursday night that copies of private text messages exchanged between two former special-counsel investigators were disclosed to certain members of the media before they were given to Congress, even though those disclosures "were not authorized."

Reply #2580
The House investigation has always been a sham, the Senate one a little less do. The only one that really matters is Mueller.

Reply #2581
The House investigation has always been a sham, the Senate one a little less do. The only one thing that really matters is Mueller the piss tape.

fyp

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #2582
It's really weird to see this kind of shit happen in real time.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2583
All the #Resist groups and organizers I know are preparing to hit the streets next week in the expectation that Trump gets somebody in the Justice Dept to fire Mueller.  Plans have been in the works for a while.  I don't think this is a drill.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2584
I think this is it. This is what they'll run with next week.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/365278-trump-lawyer-says-mueller-obtained-transition-emails-illegally

Autoplay: On | Off
A lawyer for President Trump's transition team said Saturday that Robert Mueller's special counsel office obtained tens of thousands of emails from the Trump transition organization illegally, Reuters reports.

Kory Langhofer, counsel to Trump for America (TFA), wrote a letter to several congressional committees claiming that Mueller's team improperly obtained thousands of emails from the General Services Administration (GSA), where the Trump transition team housed its staffers during the transition.

Langhofer's letter accuses Mueller's team of "unlawfully produc[ing] TFA's private materials, including privileged communications, to the Special Counsel's Office," according to Reuters.

The illegally obtained documents include "tens of thousands of emails," the letter adds.

The move from Mueller's team to obtain the emails from the GSA stymied efforts from transition officials, who were prepared for Mueller's request for the emails and had separated messages they believed contained privileged information. Mueller now has access to all of them.

Langhofer's letter, which was sent to the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, calls on the committees "to protect future presidential transitions from having their private records misappropriated by government agencies, particularly in the context of sensitive investigations intersecting with political motives."

Reply #2585
The Trump Campaign Claims A Federal Office Illegally Turned Over Transition Emails To The Special Counsel
In a phone interview with BuzzFeed News on Saturday night, Loewentritt disputed the claims made in the letter sent by the Trump campaign.

"Beckler never made that commitment," he said of the claim that any requests for transition records would be routed to the Trump campaign's counsel.

Specifically, Loewentritt said, "in using our devices," transition team members were informed that materials "would not be held back in any law enforcement" actions.

Loewentritt read to BuzzFeed News a series of agreements that anyone had to agree to when using GSA materials during the transition, including that there could be monitoring and auditing of devices and that, "Therefore, no expectation of privacy can be assumed."
:reign:

• Doobie Keebler
Reply #2586

Continues....

As we now know:

1) Mueller obtained ALL of the emails sent to/from Trump transition team accounts
2) The Trump gang only realized this after Mueller's team seemed to know all about their emails
3) This made them quite... upset

4) Thier lawyers then wrote the letter in the link to congressmen complaining about just how upsetting all of this is.

Here's the classically amusing reveal in the letter...

Earlier this year, Trump appointed the top attorney at the office responsible for providing all the electronics and email accounts the Trump transition team used.

That attorney's name was Richard Backler.

Now, as background, Backler was a white collar criminal defense attorney before his appointment.

He helped rich criminals beat government convictions for a firm with a name you'll find familiar.

Bracewell & Giuliani.

So, Trump appointed Backler and then Backler went and ensured Trump transition team attorneys that he would not allow his org (the GSA) to provide any of their emails to investigators.

One problem: Backler fell ill and ultimately passed away.

So, until Mueller's crew started asking Trump aides about those emails, they had absolutely no idea Mueller had them because they thought Trump's guy on the inside was running interference for them.

Let that one sink in.

Trump and his flunkies thought their friend at the GSA had locked their emails away *literally* in a vault no one could get to...

They thought their bodies were all buried.

As a result, Trump's people walked into their interviews with Mueller and team with a completely false sense of confidence that he didn't know what he already knew in spades.

They thought he was fishing. He was just reeling fish in.

Can you imagine the freakout that must have occurred in Trumpland when they realized their cleanup guy hadn't actually done the cleanup after all?

Alllllllll of the things they thought they had buried were not only not buried; Mueller had them in writing!

While this is just conjecture, I suspect the entire Trump orbit just realized that Mueller has a trove that entirely hangs them out to dry AND brings them down for obstruction and lying to Mueller to boot.

Trump appointed a Giuliani guy to protect him from Mueller...

...and then the guy went and died just as Mueller was coming a'calling.

Trump must be losing his freaking mind...

...even more panicked: Jared Kushner.

Mueller is gonna roast them all.

<end>

Note: Trump team knew Beckler had died. They didn't know he had failed to lock down their electronics and emails - and didn't know GSA staff had produced them all without telling anyone.

One more note: as the letter in the link lays out, Beckler was incapacitated by August. He was hospitalized when Mueller's crew came a'knockin'.

As @HoarseWisperer admits, this is conjecture but it aligns with everything I've read so far.

If true. this pretty much explains why right-wing media and especially the Republican Senators/Congresscritters (Nunes, Gowdy, and Bondi come to mind, there were more) that were part of the transition have shifted into overdrive floating conspiracy accusations towards Mueller's team and the FBI, the shift at the intelligence hearings to attack them, and the mumblings aimed at justifying having Mueller fired (or even arrested ala Fox News/Breitbart). This all ramped up once Trump's and the administration's lawyers figured out how potentially fucked some of their clients are.

Mueller's team asked "yo, you got all those transition emails?"  GSA: "yeah dog, we got those" and never said a word about it publicly. Which legally, even as Trumps' lawyers admitted in that letter, is entirely permissible if national security is involved. You know, like if we have a DOJ investigation with a specially appointed prosecutor who mandate is to investigate potential violations of that.

But watch all the crazy spin ramping up even harder about the "treasonous" FBI and DOJ in the coming days in an attempt to sway the public perception before they actively move against the investigation by trying to shut everything down.

"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #2587
So did trumpster fire's lawyer say what aspect of Mueller's investigation was actually illegal? I mean, it's one thing to say it, and another to cite at least some legal reference that actually might have some import. Isn't the fact that a lot of the email was supposedly sequestered much more illegal?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #2588
I think this is it. This is what they'll run with next week.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/365278-trump-lawyer-says-mueller-obtained-transition-emails-illegally

Autoplay: On | Off
A lawyer for President Trump's transition team said Saturday that Robert Mueller's special counsel office obtained tens of thousands of emails from the Trump transition organization illegally, Reuters reports.

Kory Langhofer, counsel to Trump for America (TFA), wrote a letter to several congressional committees claiming that Mueller's team improperly obtained thousands of emails from the General Services Administration (GSA), where the Trump transition team housed its staffers during the transition.

Langhofer's letter accuses Mueller's team of "unlawfully produc[ing] TFA's private materials, including privileged communications, to the Special Counsel's Office," according to Reuters.

The illegally obtained documents include "tens of thousands of emails," the letter adds.

The move from Mueller's team to obtain the emails from the GSA stymied efforts from transition officials, who were prepared for Mueller's request for the emails and had separated messages they believed contained privileged information. Mueller now has access to all of them.

Langhofer's letter, which was sent to the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, calls on the committees "to protect future presidential transitions from having their private records misappropriated by government agencies, particularly in the context of sensitive investigations intersecting with political motives."

Mueller, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.

... and a grateful nation.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Doobie Keebler
Reply #2589
IANAL but the way I see it is that in their whiny letter to congress they are saying, among other assertions, some of the emails are attorney client privilege. Which I'm seeing some folks say is nonsense since they had chosen to use that particular .gov system that clearly explains to them to expect no privacy or protection from law enforcement inquiry.

In translated legalese this means they they are technically handing over their documents to a third party just by use of the system so attorney-client doesn't fly here and would only apply to a fraction of the emails anyway. IOW, by using that system they tacitly acknowledged that any copies of emails and documents sent over the system and/or using their devices belonged to the government. I assume a lot of this is covered under basic legislation that requires archiving of governmental records.

What's most notable about the action that the lawyers have taken here is that they chose to whine in a letter to Congress about what's happened. If they had any legal leg to stand on they could just file a lawsuit and make it clear, they could request in a court to get the emails and their use immediately locked down with an injunction, but they of course aren't. That says a lot.

Instead they pull this crap. To make noise and give some meat to the right-wing media to spew about and Congressional Repub's to screw around the committees investigations with.

• Doobie Keebler
Reply #2590
Hahaha. I haven't seen this referred to in a good source yet but I just saw a short opinion piece claiming that what Mueller did was even more awesome.

Not only did Mueller get his hands on those emails back in September and then go about setting up interviews/depositions with Trump's people with them being unaware of that fact, he also formally requested the very same emails from Trump's team when he already had them. So they then provided Mueller's team only with what they wanted to which means Mueller not only let them think they had the advantage but let them hang themselves by withholding evidence and lying to the special counsel. I mean, imagine how delicious that is, not only have you been reading and sorting this shit in private but they just handed you a perfect filter to sort out what they didn't want you to see or know about.

Again, I haven't seen anything that backs up this version of events but...  "yuge, if true"

And if this is true there's a number of them that are probably in deep shit right now and it's been said that Mueller's team probably intentionally leaked the fact they had the entire cache of emails as a shot across Trump's bow, warning him against personally attempting to fire Mueller. Anybody in the transition team that would be affected by this has motive to convince Trump to leave Mueller alone so as to leave open the possibility for cutting deals for themselves and to keep Mueller from going the nuclear route and indicting everyone and anyone he possibly can, for instance if Trump went after Rosenstein as a preliminary move (the canary in the coalmine).

Apparently the administration just said again that they still have no plans to try and remove Mueller?

I hope this is all true because I'm all lmao right now imaging the potential bricks that are being shat.

• MSG
Reply #2591
  • Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:25:20 PM by MSG
braying among the ruins

• Doobie Keebler
Reply #2592
No, it was a different source but I can't get to the link right now, but I did post that entire Tweet chain earlier a few posts up with the exception of the last followup.

The difference (or additional info) I was attempting to point out, admittedly not very well, was about Muller making a request to them for the emails and the administration providing a culled version. Which may not be true. As I said, i haven't seen this verified anywhere I'd consider reliable.

• Doobie Keebler
Reply #2593
No, it was a different source but I can't get to the link right now, but I did post that entire Tweet chain earlier a few posts up with the exception of the last followup.

The difference (or additional info) I was attempting to point out, admittedly not very well, was about Muller making a request to them for the emails and the administration providing a culled version. Which may not be true. As I said, i haven't seen this verified anywhere I'd consider reliable.

Mmm, and it appears that's probably wrong. What remains of the transition, apparently as a legal entity, say they are going to formally demand the emails be returned so they can review, redact, and super duper promise to return them. Still no mention anywhere else that I can find that the transition previously provided emails. (edit: and note there's still no actual legal move concerning the emails and devices on the part of the administrations lawyers, just a lot of whining, they are going to "send Mueller a letter")

I swear these idiots talk about "emails" all the time like Mueller or whoever they are bitching about at the time is sitting in the middle of a giant pile of paper printouts. Maybe even on perforated dot-matrix paper with those fun little feed strips.

The software they have these days to evaluate databases like email and correlate that with things like phone records, financial transaction histories, and travel records is pretty damn powerful from what I've read. They are way the fuck beyond standard issue keyword searches and whatnot.

Trump: "My people are very upset" about Mueller obtaining emails

Officials of President Trump's transition team plan to ask Special Counsel Robert Mueller to return "many tens of thousands" of transition emails they contend were unlawfully provided to him. But the prosecutor's office says emails being used in the investigation were properly obtained.

President Trump, returning to the White House on Sunday, said when asked about the emails:
"Not looking good. It's not looking good. It's quite sad to see that. My people are very upset about it. I can't imagine there's anything on 'em, frankly, because as we said, there's no collusion. There's no collusion whatsoever. A lot of lawyers thought that was pretty  :sad: ."

What's new: A source close to Trump's transition, which still exists as a legal entity so it can shut down what was once a 1,000-person operation, said the transition will send a letter to Mueller informing him that some of the emails are privileged, and asking for their return. The transition says it is willing to provide Mueller with vetted emails.

The source told me: "What they did is totally illegal, and they need to fix it."

But Peter Carr, spokesman for the Special Counsel's Office, told Axios early this morning: "When we have obtained emails in the course of our ongoing criminal investigation, we have secured either the account owner's consent or appropriate criminal process."

The article continues.
  • Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:31:53 AM by Doobie Keebler

• linus
Reply #2594

The bit that was cut off is also interesting:
Mr. Trump's lawyers assured the president throughout the fall that Mr. Mueller's investigation would be over by the end of the year. But on Dec. 1, Mr. Flynn entered his guilty plea and agreed to cooperate with Mr. Mueller's investigation, an indication that the inquiry will not soon close.
The lawyers are either not so smart or said what they needed to say to get Trump's cooperation.
  • Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:28:08 AM by linus

Reply #2595
It's probably both.

If you can numb yourself enough to it, living through the rise of an incredibly incompetent and pathetic dictatorship in the most powerful country in the world is interesting on a day-to-day basis.

Then the fentynal wears off and hellworld stares you in the face  :smith:

Reply #2596
Looks like Jill Stein is under investigation now too. lolol

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered

Reply #2598
Wow. Haven't seen Raven's linked story before and I spend most of my time reading news feeds. Will have to start reading this thread. Thought for today? Trump is not the pres most want, but if you look at our history he is certainly the one we deserve.

And Liz, look at how the 1 percent will benefit from Brexit. May is just a female version of the same con. Corbyn is a Brit Sanders. And I say this as a fan of both, but they are up against forces they don't begin to comprehend. It's all so very complicated. Shadows on the cave wall might well foretell the view outside is also an illusion. Fear and loathing is something you've participated in a few years back. You were never a cheerleader, but you were in alignment with the pack quite often. Remember? It's a teeny bit of where we are, but we have all contributed to the current post-facts reality.

Reply #2599
I forgot how much of a creep RP is