Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• She did look at it and confirmed that I basically fucked everything to the point of no return.

Topic: 1984 top seller on Amazon (Read 224 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: 1984 top seller on Amazon
Reply #1
Also:
Sinclair Lewis's It Can't Happen Here, a 1935 novel about the rise of an authoritarian fascist leader in the U.S., is currently the 26th most-purchased book on Amazon, and its spike on Google Trends corresponds with the U.S. presidential election on November 8.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #2
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #3
Also:
Sinclair Lewis's It Can't Happen Here, a 1935 novel about the rise of an authoritarian fascist leader in the U.S., is currently the 26th most-purchased book on Amazon, and its spike on Google Trends corresponds with the U.S. presidential election on November 8.
Sounds worth reading.  I'll see if I can get it on the Kindle.

Reply #4
Also:

It's up to #8 now

Brave New World at 12 and a different edition/version of 1984 is 15. The Signet Classics edition is still at 1.

And of course Trump: Art of the Deal makes the list at 10

I wonder how long they've been on the list.
  • Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:04:32 PM by madmardigan

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #5
Also:
Sounds worth reading.  I'll see if I can get it on the Kindle.
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/3659/it-can-t-happen-here

Its excellent, I just finished it a week or two ago

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Jesus Christ, now you people are reading these classics?

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #7
In my defense, I had read both 1984 and Brave New World many years ago. Just never got around to Lewis. Still have Babbit on my bookshelf too.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #8
I read 1984 as a kid.  Started BNW,  but never finished.  I'm not familiar with ICHH.

Also this got me think about The Wave.  I'd watch it again if it was available.  The best I can find is a German remake on Netflix

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #9
Jesus Christ, now you people are reading these classics?

rereading

• Fenrir
Reply #10
Got Spawn (12) Lord Of The Flies for xmas. Read it at a sitting and declared it excellent.
It's what plants crave.

Reply #11
I have done almost all those books in middle school literature groups. :smug:
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #12
It kind of makes the whole building a successful coalition on the left much more important, eh?

Bernie or Bust!
Self-censorship is the lamest form of censorship.