Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational:  We are all the Body of Christ.

Topic: Immigration/border patrol megathread (Read 14768 times) previous topic - next topic

Martin.au, Testy Calibrate and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Re: Immigration/border patrol megathread
Reply #625
polls will differ it depending on how you ask the question.

"Do you support shutting the government down because of immigration?" versus "do you blame the republicans for this shutdown" will get different answers. That's obvious study design stuff.

• nesb
Reply #626
Oh, I know. I just heard about the poll results I mentioned, and thought it was relevant. Not enough to actually Google it, mind you.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #627

Reply #628
John Kelly really, really hates brown people and wants to end legal immigration and especially acceptance of refugees. He's as much of a Nazi as Miller is.

really rich for this to be coming during Trump's "executive time" though

Reply #629

weird how all of these deeply unpopular policies keep getting made into law while actually popular policies are strangled in the cradle

almost like our "democracy" isn't just broken but has always been a sham

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #630

ICE and their collaborators deserve nothing but disgust.

Reply #631

ICE and their collaborators deserve nothing but disgust.
That's a weird way of spelling "a bullet to the head before being shoved into a ditch"

Reply #632
Shit is really getting out of hand.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #633
"Is getting"

Reply #634
Well, military parades are kind of a milestone.

Reply #635
Man, I thought we had hit the milestone when ICE was roving the country asking people for their papers and detaining hispanics who couldn't show citizenship status, or arresting DREAMers when they were dropping their kids off at school.

Glad to know that's not a dealkiller for you.

Reply #636
Jesus Christ, shut up.

Reply #637
Man, I thought we had hit the milestone when ICE was roving the country asking people for their papers and detaining hispanics who couldn't show citizenship status, or arresting DREAMers when they were dropping their kids off at school.

Glad to know that's not a dealkiller for you.
Etc
Wtf is wrong with you?

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #638
Nazi Calibrate

• el jefe
Reply #639
Well, military parades are kind of a milestone.
honestly less bothered by his military parade than some other people are.  it's gay, it's dumb,  its unnecessary (we already worship the troops more than enough), and - yes - it has authoritarian connotations.  it shouldn't happen.  I also think it's relatively harmless.  despite the authoritarian symbolism, would it actually, meaningfully move the country toward authoritarianism, or facilitate such a movement?  eh... I don't think so.  not to a significant degree.

I look at it similarly to how i look at the wall.  my main beef would be that I don't like the symbolism of it.  but the concrete harm done by it seems small.  so if trump would think it's an accomplishment, maybe that would make him less desperate and flaily, and thereby reduce the real harm he's doing on other fronts.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #640
boy that is a really terrible post even for this thread

• dinosaurs!
  • a new kind of jihad, anal jihad
Reply #641
Guapo, we already know we can't stop you from posting stupid shit (lord knows we've tried), but ffs don't use "gay" as a pejorative.

• ksen
Reply #642
so if trump would think it's an accomplishment, maybe that would make him less desperate and flaily, and thereby reduce the real harm he's doing on other fronts.

It won't.

And you should know this already.

Reply #643
kinda feel like this parade really is the most "symptom not the disease" thing yet. this is just what about a third to a half of our fellow americans have really fucking wanted for a long time.

otoh, he apparently got the idea from france so  :unsure:

Reply #644
oh yeah that's the best part of this

The inspiration  for Trump's push is last year's Bastille Day celebration in Paris, which the president attended as a guest of French President Emmanuel Macron. Trump was awestruck by the tableau of uniformed French troops marching down Avenue des Champs-Elysees with military tanks, armored vehicles, gun trucks and carriers -- complete with fighter jets flying over the Arc de Triomphe and painting the sky with streaks of blue, white and red smoke for the colors of the French flag.

hey guap, it's ya boy (although they probably do this every year tbh?)

Reply #645
Look at pelosi go.

Reply #646
i saw something about "8 hour floor speech" and refusing to vote for a deal that doesn't do the thing and i'm pretty happy tbh

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #647
lol this is a nightmare:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ice-wants-to-be-an-intelligence-agency-under-trump

Officials at Immigration and Customs Enforcement are actively exploring joining the U.S. Intelligence Community, The Daily Beast has learned.

The effort is helmed by a small cohort of career Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials, and has been underway since the Obama administration, according to an ICE official familiar with the matter.

Internal advocates for joining the America's spy agencies--known as the Intelligence Community or the IC--focus on the potential benefits to the agency's work on counterproliferation, money laundering, counterterror, and cybercrime. The official added that joining the IC could also be useful for the agency's immigration enforcement work--in particular, their efforts to find and arrest undocumented immigrants with criminal arrest warrants (known in ICE as fugitive aliens).

But civil liberties advocates and government watchdog groups--as well as some current and former U.S. officials--are concerned at the prospect of the nation's immigration enforcers joining the ranks of America's spies.

"The idea that ICE could potentially get access to warrantless surveillance is frankly terrifying," Jake Laperruque, senior counsel at the Project on Government Oversight, told The Daily Beast.

eta:

oh by the way

• Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:31:38 PM by meepmeep

Reply #648
I've been waiting for that shoe to drop.

• el jefe
Reply #649
kinda feel like this parade really is the most "symptom not the disease" thing yet. this is just what about a third to a half of our fellow americans have really fucking wanted for a long time.

otoh, he apparently got the idea from france so  :unsure:
the fact that he got the idea from France is what first made me question the idea that it's simply an authoritarian thing