Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: SteveF - A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

Topic: Immigration/border patrol megathread (Read 14699 times) previous topic - next topic

ffejrxx, Tenuous, Faid and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Re: Immigration/border patrol megathread
Reply #800
But just imagine how great it would be. America would be mad3 great again!
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ksen
Reply #801
I am looking forward to being able to buy my slaves directly from a website and having them delivered by drone to my house so I don't have to risk going into the bad section of town to find people desperate for work hanging out at the local day laborer place.

Reply #802
I have a better idea I call "Fixing the Problem." Mary lives in Wheeling, WV. When she gets laid off from the chicken-processing plant, she realizes she can't get by on her own labor alone anymore. Instead of giving her access to someone's slave labor, we just hook her up with a lifetime dose of fentanyl and send her back to her trailer park to permanently check out.

Because fuck Mary and her fucking shit politics.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #803
https://apnews.com/888ae5de1bd44bada5fc57bdee0d4485/ICE-lawyer-in-Seattle-charged-with-stealing-immigrant-IDs

SEATTLE (AP) -- The chief counsel for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Seattle has been charged with stealing immigrants' identities.

Raphael A. Sanchez, who resigned from the agency effective Monday, faces one count of aggravated identity theft and another of wire fraud in a charging document filed Monday in U.S. District Court.

Prosecutors with the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section allege that Sanchez stole the identities of seven people "in various stages of immigration proceedings" to defraud credit card companies including American Express, Bank of America and Capital One.

Reply #804
Agrevated identity theft?

Reply #805
oh my god

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/02/13/immigration-visas-economics-216968

no, really, what in the actual motherfucking FUCK is this garbage

The problem posed by migration is that the benefits are not evenly distributed. They flow to the migrants themselves and the corporations that hire them. Consumers do receive better products and lower prices, but ordinary people don't really perceive these benefits. And working-class people may suffer a decline in their wages (some or many of them, depending on which economist you ask, but most agree the decline is not large), or (certainly, in most cases) believe that immigration undercuts their wages and threatens their cultural values.

So, immigration expands the economic pie but gives too meager a slice to ordinary people.

Oh, so I'm not "ordinary people" because I wasn't born here.

The goal must be to retain, and in fact expand, immigration while ensuring that its benefits are distributed fairly.

Hm, yes, Real Americans should benefit equally from my own personal labor.

The current system does the opposite: channeling the benefits of migration to immigrants and domestic elites.

As an immigrant, I should not benefit from being in America. Other people should benefit from me. I should only exist to benefit Real Americans.

This system should be wiped away and replaced with a system of citizenship sponsorship for immigrants that we call a Visas Between Individuals Program. Under this new system, all citizens would have the right to sponsor a migrant for economic purposes.

Here's how the program would work: Imagine a woman named Mary Turner, who lives in Wheeling, West Virginia. She was recently laid off from a chicken-processing plant and makes ends meet by walking and taking care of her neighbors' pets. Mary could expand her little business by hiring some workers, but no one in the area would accept a wage she can afford. Mary goes online--to a new kind of international gig economy website, a Fiverr for immigrants--and applies to sponsor a migrant. She enters information about what she needs: someone with rudimentary English skills, no criminal record and an affection for animals. She offers a room in her basement, meals and $5 an hour. (Sponsors under this program would be exempt from paying minimum wage.)

lol i can't even do this anymore

Second, the program is not that different from the au pair program run by the State Department, nominally under the J-1 cultural exchange visa program, but in reality a nanny migrant-labor program used by upper-middle class American families.

Because there are no problems with the au pair system.

A Visas Between Individuals Program would extend the benefits of these types of immigration programs to everyone, rather than just to corporations and the affluent. It would also achieve the goals of both sides of the immigration debate--better than their own proposals do. Immigrants would no longer have special privileges to sponsor family members, while working-class voters would enjoy dramatic benefits.

Wait, now imagine how much more benefit Real Americans could get if you didn't have to pay them at all instead of just having them work as an underclass trapped at their employer's house with nowhere else to go?

GUYS LOOK AT HOW SMART I AM.

eta guys, seriously, am I missing something here? Is this satire? This is literally an argument in favor of what's basically indentured servitude, right?  :psyduck:

Reminds me of this story from The Atlantic last year

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/lolas-story/524490/

Reply #806
I have a better idea I call "Fixing the Problem." Mary lives in Wheeling, WV. When she gets laid off from the chicken-processing plant, she realizes she can't get by on her own labor alone anymore. Instead of giving her access to someone's slave labor, we just hook her up with a lifetime dose of fentanyl and send her back to her trailer park to permanently check out.

Because fuck Mary and her fucking shit politics.

You know nothing of Mary, comrade

Mary lives in Wheeling, WV. When she gets laid off from teh chicken-processing plant and can't find gainful employment to earn a living wage in the wealthiest country in the history of the world,, she realizes that late stage capitalism is a sham. Mary constructs a guillotine in her back yard, and, skipping ahead a couple of years, becomes a prominent figure in the Second American Republic.

Reply #807

Reply #808
The advent of the surveillance state and the lack of bordering sanctuary makes this whole daca thing just a whole different kind of horrible.

Reply #809

Reply #810
I'm now at the point where I think Manchin really does need to be primaried from the left and to give an open leftist a shot there because fuck, if he's on board with the white ethnostate, what the fuck good is he? yeah a WV republican will be bad, but this isn't worth the cost.

Reply #811

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #812
Here's how the program would work: Imagine a woman named Mary Turner, who lives in Wheeling, West Virginia. She was recently laid off from a chicken-processing plant and makes ends meet by walking and taking care of her neighbors' pets. Mary could expand her little business by hiring some workers, but no one in the area would accept a wage she can afford. Mary goes online--to a new kind of international gig economy website, a Fiverr for immigrants--and applies to sponsor a migrant. She enters information about what she needs: someone with rudimentary English skills, no criminal record and an affection for animals. She offers a room in her basement, meals and $5 an hour. (Sponsors under this program would be exempt from paying minimum wage.)

I call this brilliant new idea... inblentured smurvitude
was about to post this, only "yrevals"

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #813
I am looking forward to being able to buy my slaves directly from a website and having them delivered by drone to my house so I don't have to risk going into the bad section of town to find people desperate for work hanging out at the local day laborer place.
seriously lol'ing

Reply #814
apparently the current "deal" on the table entails a 12 year path to citizenship of which only 2 years of current time as a resident counts towards and requires no criminal record of any kind, which i am sure will not be abused and manipulated to ensure pretexts for deportation as needed.

dems are gonna give trump his wall in exchange for this lol  :stareicide:

if i owned a house i'd start trying to make part of it a secret hiding place rn

Reply #815
secret hiding places are relatively easy to make. find a closet no one would expect and put a floor to ceiling bookshelf in front of it.

Reply #816
I have read that attics work reasonably well.  For a time.

Reply #817
it's how teeth hides from bilirubin

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #818
12 years is not far off from what it takes to go from visa to permanent residency to citizenship. There's a minimum 5 year waiting period with permanent residency before you're eligible to apply for naturalization.

We got here in 1992. My parents didn't get their citizenship until after 2004. I got mine in 2008.

Reply #819
I have read that attics work reasonably well.  For a time.

yeah :sadcheer:

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #821
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/politics/ice-california-donald-trump/index.html

I know he's not serious, but please, please let him be serious.

Pretty sure the consensus response from California would be "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #822

Fuck every dumb fuck whoever said, "It's illegal immigration we have a problem with, not legal immigration!" forever and ever, amen.

• ksen
Reply #823
wtf?

Reply #824
I am okay with removing the heads from every ICE agent currently serving.