Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > Life Science Discussions

Life Science Discussions Biology, Natural History, etc.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #1055016  /  #1
Abdul Alhazred
Yes that one.

Abdul Alhazred
Default Non-evolutionary refutation of creationism

I specifically mean the usual Christian fundy young earth creationism, including the supposed geology of Noah's flood.

The usual debate is the fundies attacking evolution and the evolution defenders defending. The problem with this approach is the fundies generally don't really understand evolution. So you get a bunch of "why are there still monkeys" type nonsense.

How about another approach to the issue?

You don't really need recourse to the theory of evolution to refute the notion that there was a worldwide flood in historical times. Written records of various cultures (including in the mideast) cover the period without any flood hiatus.

To say nothing of the question of how the kangaroos got home from Mount Ararat.

The classical pagan flood legend (in Ovid) doesn't have a specific chronology, so forget that approach.

Likewise the Adam and Eve story. It is supposed to have happened less than 6000 years ago. There ruins of cities older than that, not to mention continuous written (clay tablet) records.

That is not evolution or even geology. It is archeology and written history.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #1055033  /  #2
sanshou
freedom axis
Mod: A&E

sanshou

has it crossed anyone's mind here that arguing with a creationist is like trying to convince a guy who believes otherwise that a spider-man comic is fiction?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #1055036  /  #3
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

Bartholomew Roberts

I didn't go immediately to comic books as I am not a nerd, but I have had similar thoughts.
Bartholomew Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #1055070  /  #4
Species8472
Persistence is futile

Species8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul Alhazred View Post
I specifically mean the usual Christian fundy young earth creationism, including the supposed geology of Noah's flood.

The usual debate is the fundies attacking evolution and the evolution defenders defending. The problem with this approach is the fundies generally don't really understand evolution. So you get a bunch of "why are there still monkeys" type nonsense.

You don't really need recourse to the theory of evolution to refute the notion that there was a worldwide flood in historical times. Written records of various cultures (including in the mideast) cover the period without any flood hiatus.

The classical pagan flood legend (in Ovid) doesn't have a specific chronology, so forget that approach.

Likewise the Adam and Eve story. It is supposed to have happened less than 6000 years ago. There ruins of cities older than that, not to mention continuous written (clay tablet) records.

I get the impression you haven't been lurking much on these forums before you registered. Am I right?
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." - Albert Einstein
Species8472 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #1055169  /  #5
adkinsjr

adkinsjr

Quote:

Yeah, but they will probably just deny any history and archeology that goes against the literal interpretation of the Genesis. For them, Genesis is written history. When I learned of "creationism" I was pretty disturbed by it. I always figured fundamentalists would reject evolution, but I had no idea that people thought the world was 6,000 years old until I saw some creepy christian cult youtube videos.

Searching the net, it appears that they have a lot of bizarre explanations and rationalizations for just about any kind of objection you can think of. Everything ranging from distant starlight, the formation of planets, stars, and chemical elements; the formation of mountains, canyons, and continental drift, the formation of fossils, coal, and oil; radiometric decay etc. They seem to deny it all.
adkinsjr is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #1055310  /  #6
boba123

boba123

Quote:

It sure looks like you have never heard about Gilgamesh. What you write above - about NO written records and about Ovid being a first reference - is wrong. Maybe you'll want to start with the Wiki on this.

Quote:
Bilgames in the earliest text[1]) was the fifth king of Uruk (Early Dynastic II, first dynasty of Uruk), ruling 126 years, according to the Sumerian king list. He was said to be contemporary with some of the earliest archaeologically-known figures, placing his reign ca. 2500 BC. According to the Tummal Inscription,[2] Gilgamesh, and his son Urlugal, rebuilt the sanctuary of the goddess Ninlil, in Tummal, a sacred quarter in her city of Nippur. Gilgamesh is the central character in the Epic of Gilgamesh, the greatest surviving work of early Mesopotamian literature. In the epic his father was Lugalbanda and his mother was Ninsun (whom some call Rimat Ninsun), a goddess. Gilgamesh is described as two parts god and one part man. In Mesopotamian mythology, Gilgamesh is credited with having been a demigod of superhuman strength who built a great city wall to defend his people from external threats and travelled to meet Utnapishtim, the sage who had survived the Great Deluge.
<snip>
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh
MattShizzle - using the word "MORON" - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...772#post914772-- "Ignore the assholes. Assholes are the price we pay for being able to tell assholes they are assholes." = Febble - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...599#post958599-- "Im a Satanist, Israel is a terrorist state, Hamas is the good guys." = S'hitman - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...61#post1454961
boba123 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #1055411  /  #7
Abdul Alhazred
Yes that one.

Abdul Alhazred

There are plenty of flood stories. What exactly is your point? That I didn't mention your particular hobby horse?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #1055456  /  #8
Tension

Tension

Abdul Alhazred! what an honor it is to have the authour of the Necronomicon on our forum Ia Shub-Niggurath!
Tension is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 AM   #1055498  /  #9
boba123

boba123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tension View Post
Abdul Alhazred! what an honor it is to have the authour of the Necronomicon on our forum Ia Shub-Niggurath!
Quote:
The Necronomicon is a fictional grimoire appearing in the stories by horror writer H. P. Lovecraft and his followers. It was first mentioned in Lovecraft's 1924 short story "The Hound",[1] written in 1922, though its purported author, the "Mad Arab" Abdul Alhazred, had been quoted a year earlier in Lovecraft's "The Nameless City".
<snip>
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon
Great find Tension. Thanks.
MattShizzle - using the word "MORON" - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...772#post914772-- "Ignore the assholes. Assholes are the price we pay for being able to tell assholes they are assholes." = Febble - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...599#post958599-- "Im a Satanist, Israel is a terrorist state, Hamas is the good guys." = S'hitman - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...61#post1454961
boba123 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #1055504  /  #10
cmoon
I like to watch

cmoon

Quote:
So now that the Hobbit is toast, is Jackson still going to make his version of Mountains of Madness?
cmoon is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #1055643  /  #11
Tension

Tension

I think del toro is going to make at the mountains of madness
Tension is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 AM   #1055659  /  #12
Vicious Love
beepboop

Vicious Love

Quote:
There are plenty of flood stories. What exactly is your point? That I didn't mention your particular hobby horse?
SPOILERS:
boba has miraculously bad reading comprehension.
Vicious Love is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #1055662  /  #13
teeth!
trollo trollini trollus est
Commissar

teeth!

Lovecraft nerds ITT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
I suppose it's good for society that I'm not an alpha wolf then.
teeth! is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #1055707  /  #14
cmoon
I like to watch

cmoon

Quote:

Ughh, I knew that. The stupid lord of the rings thread corrupted my mind. But the question still stands, with substitution.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #1055732  /  #15
Monad
Rabbit in your headlights
Mod: LSD, Phys Sci

Monad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoon View Post
Quote:

Ughh, I knew that. The stupid lord of the rings thread corrupted my mind. But the question still stands, with substitution.
That's interesting - the first Hellboy seemed pretty much to fit with the Cthulhu mythos, although the second drew more on ancient Irish mythology
Monad is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #1055797  /  #16
Jet Black
Finding Things Out
Mod: ASS, LSD, Phys Sci

Jet Black has disabled comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
I didn't go immediately to comic books as I am not a nerd, but I have had similar thoughts.
yeah. That's pretty much it. They're in the same boat as lunar landing deniers. You could take them to the moon personally and show them the landing sites and they would say you telepathically put the images in their brains or something.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #1055801  /  #17
Jet Black
Finding Things Out
Mod: ASS, LSD, Phys Sci

Jet Black has disabled comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
Quote:

I get the impression you haven't been lurking much on these forums before you registered. Am I right?

it's cool. nice to have a bit of fresh blood.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #1055905  /  #18
Abdul Alhazred
Yes that one.

Abdul Alhazred

Quote:
Nah. That was my uncle. Uncle Al .
Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #1055937  /  #19
I Lick Pie
Bart's BFF

I Lick Pie

Quote:

all of that stuff was fabricated by angry and insecure atheists with chips on their shoulders....
I Lick Pie is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #1056005  /  #20
cmoon
I like to watch

cmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Quote:
yeah. That's pretty much it. They're in the same boat as lunar landing deniers. You could take them to the moon personally and show them the landing sites and they would say you telepathically put the images in their brains or something.
There's no way to get the woo out of people's heads other than this, is there?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #1056010  /  #21
Species8472
Persistence is futile

Species8472

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
Quote:

it's cool. nice to have a bit of fresh blood.
Absolutely.
I just get the impression he thinks we haven't met any creationists yet ...
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." - Albert Einstein
Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #1056062  /  #22
Mike PSS

Mike PSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoon View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There's no way to get the woo out of people's heads other than this, is there?

I'm Mugatu!

Mike PSS is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #1056678  /  #23
RAFH
Robot Architect From Hell

RAFH

Quote:
Quote:
Well, it's true, I did.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #1056686  /  #24
espritch

espritch

Quote:

Unfortunately, Creationists are just as capable of denying archeology and history as they are of denying physics, astronomy, cosmology, geology, paleontology, biology, and genetics.

The only way to win with creationists is to keep pointing out just how wrong they are and laughing at them.
espritch is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #1056927  /  #25
Species8472
Persistence is futile

Species8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by espritch View Post
The only way to win with creationists is to keep pointing out just how wrong they are and laughing at them.
In the case of the person being a creationist by default because they're a Christian, it is usually easy to "win". They are creationists out of pure ignorance on the subject of science. In my experience rational argument is sufficient with these people.

But the kind we usually deal with here are different as they have creationism as an essential part of their faith, and faith is highly resistant to reason. There is no "win". However they have one purpose. It makes people have to explain scientific theories in detail, which is highly educational to the rest of us. That itself is a win.

TalkRational > Discussion > Life Science Discussions