Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today |  Daily Wingnut | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Town Hall > Post Reports and Public Feedback > Appeals > Archived Appeals

Archived Appeals For finished and closed appeals

Old 07-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #1464298  /  #76
Dean W
What difference does it make?

Dean W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenscape View Post

...And, yeah, I agree that Nothing is not going to change his posting behavior due to this suspension, whether it is shortened or not. So, the current restrictions on his account will probably stay in place a good long while, and other restrictions may be tried...
Based on this post and the staff discussion here, the purpose of the suspension is to give a temporary break to the targets of Nothing's abuse.

Is that accurate?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #1464314  /  #77
ravenscape
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

ravenscape
Send a message via MSN to ravenscape

The initial 2-3 week suspension was for that purpose, yes, to prevent further hassling of someone while their support thread was active.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #1464339  /  #78
Dean W

Dean W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenscape View Post
The initial 2-3 week suspension was for that purpose, yes, to prevent further hassling of someone while their support thread was active.
I'm confused. The initial 2-3 week suspension started two weeks ago, on the 19th. Since Nothing is appealing, do those two weeks count? Or would the clock start when the appeal is decided, should the decision be to let the suspension stand?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #1464344  /  #79
ravenscape
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

ravenscape

If you read the thread, the way it unfolded was that about the time we'd worked around to a 2-3 week suspension (but hadn't yet finalized it and added the time to his initial suspension) Nothing posted with the 000 account and we increased it to 4 weeks.

If you decide that the suspension was totally out of line and shouldn't have been enacted at all, we can't undo the 2+ weeks he's already been suspended, but we'll immediately lift the suspension.

If you decide that it should be shortened, we'll shorten it to whatever length you decide. And that could also mean an immediate lift of the suspension.

If you decide that the length is justified, then the suspension will remain 4 weeks.

If you decide it should be longer than 4 weeks, then the admins will take that under consideration and re-discuss the situation with your feedback in mind.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #1464404  /  #80
Dean W

Dean W

Got it. Thanks.

I'm fine with four weeks. By the time this is settled it'll probably have lasted three. If the others decide for less than four, I'll go along.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #1464465  /  #81
noAnthro

noAnthro

Nothing committed three separate rules violations as I see it.
Harassment of a member after being told to stop, subverting a forum restriction by copying from the restricted forum and pasting the copied information to an unrestricted forum in order to accomplish the harassment and lastly using a sock while under suspension.

With Nothing's history, I would have to agree with Dean W, Linus and Darwinsbulldog that the 4 week suspension is not unreasonable, one might even characterize it as generous.

If anyone wishes to discuss lengthening it, I am open to that discussion, but am against shortening the suspension.
noAnthro is offline   topbottom
Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #1464499  /  #82
feelings
daddy horny, michael

feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by noAnthro View Post
using a sock while under suspension.
this has never been established. raven needs to revoke this accusation
feelings is offline   topbottom
Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #1464502  /  #83
ravenscape
trigger warning

ravenscape

Nothing, if you gave your sister your password and got her to post right after you were suspended, it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a message board. It was virtually assured that we would notice that the posts originated from your IP address and would ban the account on sight.

And, though you've posted about your sister and her cat before, and I have no concerns about whether you actually have a sister, I do not buy that those posts, given the timing, were made by your sister.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #1464673  /  #84
nostrum
who the fuck is nostrum

nostrum

Is it time to officially vote now?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #1464688  /  #85
ravenscape
trigger warning

ravenscape

That is up to you guys. If you feel that your questions have been answered adequately, then you can proceed to discussion either in this thread or via PM. If you decide to discuss via PM, we just need each appeal group member's vote and the reasoning behind it, along with any comments or recommendations about the appeal process itself posted in this thread. Once everyone has done that, we can figure out what needs done.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #1464703  /  #86
Dean W

Dean W

I'm fine with doing it here.

I think we should reject the appeal and go with the four week suspension. Given what's been presented, this not a punitive measure against Nothing; it's a break for people he will most likely resume harassing when able.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #1464721  /  #87
nostrum
who the fuck is nostrum

nostrum

I think the two weeks of suspension already served are probably adequate, whether it was a punitive measure or one to give a break to the member he was hassling. Longer term measures will have to be considered given Nothing is not going to change his behaviour.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #1464726  /  #88
feelings
daddy horny, michael

feelings

ill change my behavior if i had access to pot
Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #1464727  /  #89
Linus
opportunity of an erection

Linus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean W View Post

I think we should reject the appeal and go with the four week suspension. Given what's been presented, this not a punitive measure against Nothing; it's a break for people he will most likely resume harassing when able.
I don't buy that there isn't a punitive element---at least the extra suspension for the sock account appears to be rather punitive---but agree otherwise. No need to PM and I think the 4 week suspension can stand.
Linus is online now   topbottom
Old 07-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #1464788  /  #90
Dean W

Dean W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean W View Post

I don't buy that there isn't a punitive element---at least the extra suspension for the sock account appears to be rather punitive---but agree otherwise. No need to PM and I think the 4 week suspension can stand.
You're right, there is a punitive element, but an almost certainly ineffective one, since it seems unlikely he'll change his behavior.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #1464789  /  #91
noAnthro

noAnthro

Suspension stands at 4 weeks.
noAnthro is offline   topbottom
Old 07-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #1464999  /  #92
ravenscape
trigger warning

ravenscape

Thanks very much for the time you devoted to considering this appeal!

I will leave this thread open for another day or 2 for further comment, and then move it to the closed appeals forum.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #1465018  /  #93
feelings
daddy horny, michael

feelings

terrible waste of time.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #1465020  /  #94
feelings
daddy horny, michael

feelings

we really do need to make some kind of filter for CoU so faggots like "noAnthro" don't get to be on it.

TalkRational > Town Hall > Post Reports and Public Feedback > Appeals > Archived Appeals