Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > Physical Sciences

Physical Sciences Dangerous meddling in things man was not meant to know. Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry, etc.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #1801600  /  #1
buttershug
Hung
Zaptonia Defense Champion, Summer Sports Match Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Budapest Defenders Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Flash RPG Tower Defense Champion

buttershug
Default Well that was neato weird

I had put some bottled water in the freezer. I just looked and one was solid so I put in the fridge. The other bottle was still liquid. I started to drink when I felt something not quite solid in my mouth. It was some soft ice but I hadn't noticed it. Nothing too strange so far but the rest of the bottle seemed liquid.
It happened again. So I got a glass and poured the water out. I saw that there was some ice in the bottle like slushy ice.

BUT when I looked in the cup it was half ice. I'm sure it was all water when I poured it. Isn't the latent heat of freezing (whatever it's called) significant?

Could it be that the ice crystals were too small to notice then came together when I poured the water?

Robert Anton Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YQ24i1wP0
buttershug is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #1801638  /  #2
Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttershug View Post
I had put some bottled water in the freezer. I just looked and one was solid so I put in the fridge. The other bottle was still liquid. I started to drink when I felt something not quite solid in my mouth. It was some soft ice but I hadn't noticed it. Nothing too strange so far but the rest of the bottle seemed liquid.
It happened again. So I got a glass and poured the water out. I saw that there was some ice in the bottle like slushy ice.

BUT when I looked in the cup it was half ice. I'm sure it was all water when I poured it. Isn't the latent heat of freezing (whatever it's called) significant?

Could it be that the ice crystals were too small to notice then came together when I poured the water?

You have just experienced super cooled water. And yes, the heat of formation is significant, the slush that you observed was still mostly water. It is a neat phenomenon. You can sometimes set it off with a shock to the bottle.
Subduction Zone is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #1801660  /  #3
Gagundathar Inexplicable
Intolerant of Intolerance
Skill Mini Golf: Egypt Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Sperm Defense Champion, Poker Square Champion, 3D Poker Champion, 12 Way Poker Champion, Difference Quest Champion

Location: On the surface of a tiny blue dot floating in Outer Space.
Gagundathar Inexplicable

Danggit! I was going to tell buttershug that he was poisoned but then you come along with all this sciency stuff and mess things up.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #1801680  /  #4
ppnl

ppnl

Yep, that's super cooled water. The water is below the freezing point. When the ice starts to form it heats the water up to the freezing point.

A homemade ice cream does something similar in reverse. You mix salt with ice at the freezing point. This forces some of the ice to melt causing the saltwater to cool down below the freezing point.
ppnl is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #1801706  /  #5
ffejrxx

ffejrxx

you can so something similar with soda/pop

put a unopened 20oz bottle in the freezer for a 20-30 minutes
when you open it it will turn into a slushie
The views and opinions expressed by Dondrei are not necessarily those of DonCorp or its owners or subsidiaries.
ffejrxx is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #1802069  /  #6
eversbane
Big Time Nerd.

eversbane

I've occasionally found a soda machine that will do that. You pop the can and you get soda slushie.
-el guapo
"[T]here seems to be a lot of quackery here -- almost a New Age belief in the power of a gut unspoiled by burgers and fries."
-John Hawks
eversbane is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #1802083  /  #7
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

Bartholomew Roberts

I have a can of Coke Zero in my pocket right this second. True story.

I'm enrolling at a school!
Bartholomew Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #1802220  /  #8
daap-umop-bnp
white

daap-umop-bnp

Quote:
I felt something not quite solid in my mouth.
twss
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #1802228  /  #9
Gagundathar Inexplicable
Intolerant of Intolerance
Skill Mini Golf: Egypt Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Sperm Defense Champion, Poker Square Champion, 3D Poker Champion, 12 Way Poker Champion, Difference Quest Champion

Location: On the surface of a tiny blue dot floating in Outer Space.
Gagundathar Inexplicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daap-umop-bnp View Post
Quote:
I felt something not quite solid in my mouth.
twss
Don't go there, dug. The caverns are twisty and filled with grue.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #1803330  /  #10
BobCox
bObCoX

BobCox

I get this all the time with beers from the freezer, take it out and liquid, set it down hard on the counter and bam! it turns to solid ice.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #1805656  /  #11
BobCox
bObCoX

BobCox

Chinese Researchers Quantum Teleport Photons Over 60 Miles

Forbes

Teleporting independent qubits through a 97 km free-space channel
Juan Yin, He Lu, Ji-Gang Ren, Yuan Cao, Hai-Lin Yong, Yu-Ping Wu, Chang Liu, Sheng-Kai Liao, Yan Jiang, Xin-Dong Cai, Ping Xu, Ge-Sheng Pan, Jian-Yu Wang, Yu-Ao Chen, Cheng-Zhi Peng, Jian-Wei Pan
(Submitted on 9 May 2012)

With the help of quantum entanglement, quantum communication can be achieved between arbitrarily distant places without passing through intermediate locations by quantum teleportation. In the laboratory, quantum teleportation has been demonstrated over short distance by photonic and atomic qubits. Using fiber links, quantum teleportation has been achieved over kilometer distances. Long distance quantum teleportation is of particular interest and has been one of the holy grails of practical quantum communication. Most recently, quantum teleportation over 16 km free-space link was demonstrated. However, a major restriction in this experiment is that the unknown quantum state cannot directly come from outside. Here, based on an ultra-bright multi-photon entanglement source, we demonstrate quantum teleportation, closely following the original scheme, for any unknown state created outside, between two optical free-space links separated by 97 km. Over a 35-53 dB high-loss quantum channel, an average fidelity of 80.4(9) % is achieved for six distinct initial states. Besides being of fundamental interest, our result represents an important step towards a global quantum network. Moreover, the high-frequency and high-accuracy acquiring, pointing and tracking (APT) technique developed in our experiment can be directly utilized for future satellite-based quantum communication.

Comments: 5 pages, 2 figures
Subjects: Quantum Physics (quant-ph)
Cite as: arXiv:1205.2024v1 [quant-ph]
Submission history
[v1] Wed, 9 May 2012 16:30:55 GMT (402kb,D)
Which authors of this paper are endorsers?

Link back to: arXiv, form interface, contact.

TalkRational > Discussion > Physical Sciences