Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General topics about anything not specific to one of the other Discussion category forums.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #1802098  /  #1
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

Bartholomew Roberts
Default How do I get people to like me?

I know what you're thinking. "You're Bartholomew Fuckin' Roberts. You don't need to get people to like you. People love and adore you." And you're right, of course. But that's not why I'm asking.

In December or so I'm going to need to get letters of recommendation together. Four of my classes are taught by two professors, each one teaching two classes. So I will probably get to know these professors.

How do I win them over? I mean more professionally. People love and adore me. I have the personal thing covered. We have professors here, right? What makes a good student that you enjoy teaching?

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; 05-08-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Bartholomew Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #1802102  /  #2
halii
Arya horseface
Mahjong - Wonderful Lake Champion, Bola Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion

halii

participate in class and ask questions afterwards or during office hours. then one day just casually bring up that you need a recommendation. continue participating and showing up occasionally to office hours after s/he agrees to write the rec so you don't look like you were putting on an act.

its like acting really interested and involved so the girl will have sex with you
halii is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #1802109  /  #3
ksen
Unsullied
Admin; Master of Coin

ksen

Find out if they have any pets/children. If they do, offer to make sure nothing happens to them.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #1802113  /  #4
TestyCalibrate
Someone oughta fix the door
dummy

TestyCalibrate

here ya go.l
Old 05-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #1802118  /  #5
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen

Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauna View Post
its like acting really interested and involved so the girl will have sex with you
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #1802238  /  #6
DaveGodfrey
Demoderated

DaveGodfrey

Not killing them in cold blood is a good start. Although zombies are compliant and all, they're not very good at writing references.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #1802246  /  #7
Gagundathar Inexplicable
Intolerant of Intolerance
Skill Mini Golf: Egypt Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Sperm Defense Champion, Poker Square Champion, 3D Poker Champion, 12 Way Poker Champion, Difference Quest Champion, Dragon Rider Champion

Location: On the surface of a tiny blue dot floating in Outer Space.
Gagundathar Inexplicable

Do what I do when I want a friend: pay her.

Hey! Don't look at me that way! It works, dammit!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #1802423  /  #8
Patronus Potter
When in Rome...
Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion

Patronus Potter

Just relax and be yourself.
Patronus Potter is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #1802431  /  #9
Gagundathar Inexplicable
Skill Mini Golf: Egypt Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Sperm Defense Champion, Poker Square Champion, 3D Poker Champion, 12 Way Poker Champion, Difference Quest Champion, Dragon Rider Champion

Gagundathar Inexplicable

Bart, don't pay attention to PP's advice. Look where it got HIM, after all.
Think about it. You have a screen name that invokes a famous bloodthirsty PIRATE!
PP... hah! His screen name comes from an obscure children's book written way back in the 20th century! Childish, boring, fan-wankery at its lowest nadir.

I, on the other hand, have used my method described above to great advantage.
And, my name evokes feelings of strength, masculinity and intelligence.

So, whose advice should you take?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #1802455  /  #10
Quizalufagus
Betraytheist

Quizalufagus

Do better work than the other people in your classes.
Quizalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #1802460  /  #11
Gagundathar Inexplicable

Gagundathar Inexplicable

What the hell is this shit anyway?
First Potter with his namby-pamby advice and now THIS?

Seriously, Bart, are you going to take advice from somebody who has that dork for his avatar picture? And he's the MATH moderator! Oh yeah... now there's your go-to-guy for advice on how to get people to like you (and by 'people' I assume you mean 'women' and by 'like' I assume you mean 'have sex with'). Yeah.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #1802461  /  #12
sanshou
freedom axis
Mod: A&E

sanshou

just be yourself buddy!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #1802464  /  #13
ericv00
DAG 0011
Chopper Challenge Champion, Dogfight Alpha Champion, Planet Chaos Champion

ericv00

Make a remark about how the Japanese "Iron Chef" was better than the American version.

Works every time.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #1802475  /  #14
Ishmael

Ishmael

I like students who show up to class and put a lot of effort into assignments, but that's just me.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #1802504  /  #15
Quizalufagus
Betraytheist

Quizalufagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I like students who show up to class and put a lot of effort into assignments, but that's just me.
Me too! But tbh, the way you get a good letter isn't by getting someone to like you, it's by showing your prof good things about yourself. If you want the letter to say you're a hard worker, make your assignments show that you put a lot of work into them. If you want the letter to say you're an awesome writer, write really good stuff for the class. If you want the letter to say you're good at thinking independently, ask questions that show you've thought about the subject matter deeply.

When I applied to grad school, my best letters of recommendation were actually from profs I barely talked to at all. One of them wrote about how I was great at thinking independently, and cited the the fact that I always came up with deep and sophisticated solutions to problems without any guidance outside of class! Most profs really will try to be honest with these things, and you really don't want them to send a letter that just talks about how personable you are.
Quizalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #1802523  /  #16
Fatima
Rune Tower Champion

Fatima

if people love and adore you, professors shouldn't be any different, right?

I wouldn't worry or think about it Bart. As long as you try your best in each class!!!
Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #1802621  /  #17
el jefe
TR Pundit

el jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestyCalibrate View Post
here ya go.l
came here to post this link
el jefe is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #1802633  /  #18
Jet Black
Finding Things Out
Mod: ASS, LSD, Phys Sci

Jet Black has disabled comments

you could kill yourself. Eulogies almost always start with a line like "so and so was loved by everyone..."
Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #1802678  /  #19
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen

Bartholomew Roberts

^reported
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #1802682  /  #20
Yukon

Yukon

I doubt that it is possible for an intelligent person to like you. You are a sexual predator, and a perverted pedophile. Your sexual preferences are easily recognized by mature intelligent adults. You are sick.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #1802701  /  #21
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen

Bartholomew Roberts

Well that certainly is going to make it more difficult to get a letter of recommendation from a professor.

Fortunately, you left a giant loophole: you specified I couldn't get a recommendation from an intelligent person. And yes, when you think of college professors, you assume a lot are intelligent. And many certainly are.

But not all of them. There's a number of idiot college professors out there. Especially in my field of study. All the dumb people major in communications. If we were smart we wouldn't have given up on science and be left with a minor in chemistry god major communications minor chem what the fuck that is completely useless oh god what am I doing with my life
Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #1802705  /  #22
Yukon

Yukon

Maybe people would like you more if you didnt get aroused when little boys bend over?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #1802707  /  #23
Ishmael

Ishmael

I also like students who don't give me a lot of bullshit excuses to why they have 7-8 absences already and might have to miss again because of <some excuse>. I would like to write such students a letter of disparagement.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #1802718  /  #24
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen

Bartholomew Roberts

Ishmael you're a social worker not a teacher your opinion isn't helpful at all no matter what you say.

Also, fun fact: I think one of my professors next semester is a crazy racist asshole. No joke, I'm serious. I've passed by his office when he was discussing Trayvon Martin with a student, who was also racist. Also one day a lot of us were sitting in the hall and this guy was talking to somebody about race relations or affirmative action or something and basically being a bigoted asshole.

There was a student from the Caribbean sitting there and she looked at me and I made that face when Jim makes when he looks at the camera and shook my head.

I'm not 100% certain this is the same guy. I'll stop by campus sometime and check it out, I know where the office is. Hopefully it's not the racist asshole that thought we should have sympathy for George Zimmerman. If it's the same guy I'm really not going to feel good about trying to build a rapport with that asshole just to get a letter of recommendation.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #1802729  /  #25
Gagundathar Inexplicable

Gagundathar Inexplicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Well that certainly is going to make it more difficult to get a letter of recommendation from a professor.

Fortunately, you left a giant loophole: you specified I couldn't get a recommendation from an intelligent person. And yes, when you think of college professors, you assume a lot are intelligent. And many certainly are.

But not all of them. There's a number of idiot college professors out there. Especially in my field of study. All the dumb people major in communications. If we were smart we wouldn't have given up on science and be left with a minor in chemistry god major communications minor chem what the fuck that is completely useless oh god what am I doing with my life
Bart, what the fuck are you planning to do with a major in communications and a minor in chemistry? Teach? Deliver the mail? Small engine repair? What? Obviously, you HAVE to get a master's degree in something. Otherwise, your life has no meaning or promise and you might as well turn yourself into the authorities, confess to the multiple murders in Colorado, and wait for justice to be served. All of those years living under an assumed identity (why in the world you chose 'Bartholomew Roberts' is difficult to understand), worrying every time you heard sirens in the background, checking the post office to see if your picture was still on the wall, never getting to become close to someone... ALL of that will be meaningless if you don't get into grad school.

So, I recommend you use flattery and bribery. It worked for several world leaders. It can work for you.

Good luck. Keep in touch.

TalkRational > Discussion > General Discussion