Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > Physical Sciences

Physical Sciences Dangerous meddling in things man was not meant to know. Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry, etc.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #446461  /  #26
ofro
Ol' Frothy

ofro

Shouldn't a homeopathic solution for cleaning out ears contain an infinite dilution of earwax instead of candle wax? I am sure there is a huge difference between the two.
ofro is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #446462  /  #27
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!

Testy Calibrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofro View Post
Shouldn't a homeopathic solution for cleaning out ears contain an infinite dilution of earwax instead of candle wax? I am sure there is a huge difference between the two.
don't knock it til you try it.

The initial preparation is very important.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #446465  /  #28
ofro
Ol' Frothy

ofro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
In college I let a hippie girl do one of those on me. I was severely investigating altered states at the moment and it produced some of the most beautiful fully developed orchestras I've3 ever heard. Afterward, I swear I was talking to Leonard Bernstein.
Are you sure you weren't inhaling the smoke of that "candle"?
ofro is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #446466  /  #29
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
ear candling is one homeopathic remedy that works.
Ear candling does. not. work.

http://audiology.advanceweb.com/Edit....aspx?CC=46262

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._or.html?cat=5

Quote:
One of the simplest and most ridiculous is the so-called traditional Hopi Indian ear candling. This is a method that involves placing a lighted hollow candle in the ear to remove wax. Some practitioners have also claimed that it can “draw toxins” from the body. Vanessa Charles, public relations officer for the Hopi Tribal Council, has stated that ear candling "is not and has never been a practice conducted by the Hopi tribe or the Hopi people”. The method is not only of doubtful provenance, but is ineffective and has led to injuries. Professor of Complementary Medicine at Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, Edzard Ernst has published critically of ear candles: “There are no data to suggest that it is effective for any condition. Furthermore, ear candles have been associated with ear injuries. The inescapable conclusion is that ear candles do more harm than good. Their use should be discouraged”

http://www.biij.org/2008/3/e25/
In college I let a hippie girl do one of those on me. I was severely investigating altered states at the moment and it produced some of the most beautiful fully developed orchestras I've3 ever heard. Afterward, I swear I was talking to Leonard Bernstein.
If she'd twiddled a goose feather in your ear instead, you might have heard the whole damn heavenly chorus.
borealis is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #446467  /  #30
SkepticTank
legitimately terrible
Amazon Race Champion, Deuces Solitaire Champion, Mahjong - Valley in the mountains Champion, Darts 501 Champion, Harbor Fishing Champion, Glop:Melee Champion, Bloons Tower Defense Champion, Mario & Friends Tower Defense Champion, Donkey Kong Ice Adventure Champion, Flying Gonzo Champion Mod: C&T, TIH

SkepticTank

Quote:
I'm pretty sure, they'd be equally effective.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #446469  /  #31
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!

Testy Calibrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
If she'd twiddled a goose feather in your ear instead, you might have heard the whole damn heavenly chorus.
It's possible.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #446472  /  #32
Testy Calibrate
goats in trees!

Testy Calibrate

Quote:

Are you sure you weren't inhaling the smoke of that "candle"?
A few hundred micrograms of LSD pretty much overshadows candle smoke I think.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #446521  /  #33
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
Mod: P&CA; The People's Admin

schneibler elf

hey stevef, i'm sorry i ruined another one of your crappy threads about homeopathy.

eta no i'm not.
schneibler elf is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #446555  /  #34
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

Quote:
hey stevef, i'm sorry i ruined another one of your crappy threads about homeopathy.

eta no i'm not.
Well, it wasn't a crappy thread, and it wasn't about homeopathy, so, no.

It was nearly as funny as the polar bear one.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #446572  /  #35
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator

schneibler elf

febble it was an inside joke between me and steveF.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #446602  /  #36
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

Quote:
febble it was an inside joke between me and steveF.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-16-2009, 03:12 AM   #447109  /  #37
Requiescat in pace
Dubstyle.

Requiescat in pace

My Brother in Law is a qualified homoeopath. Four years study, self financed, so he can charge thirty quid for a 'consultation'. Some fucking serious looking books with the indexed thumb indents, very doctory.

When he and his colleagues put together a few hundred quid for a remedy machine I thought "eh up, gotta see this."

So I'm expecting this thing where you prepare the initial distillation of natural ingredients, plenty of glass tubes and water bubbling merrily, all 1970s chemistry lab. So after it arrives I go down to the 'practice', and there's this:

and I'm thinking OMFG! WTF? Spinal Tap eatchaheartout!
He explains how all remedies have their own energy signature, which you set on the dials. Then you put your beaker of distilled water in and let it run for a while as the energy signature is infused. Afterwards you get a pipette and you draw out the energised water and drop it onto some sugar tablets and hey presto!!!, just like magic and as good as the real thing.

He wouldn't let me open it up, even after I promised him that if there was anything more than a little motor and some wires I'd buy him a new one.

To be fair, he has had great success with people having emotional problems. He's a pretty nice guy, a good listener, so perhaps his 'therapy' is in the game rather than the product. Belief is a powerful force, and the placebo effect still remains unexplained.
Requiescat in pace is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 AM   #447110  /  #38
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator

schneibler elf

those dials go up to 11.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #447116  /  #39
SkepticTank
legitimately terrible
Amazon Race Champion, Deuces Solitaire Champion, Mahjong - Valley in the mountains Champion, Darts 501 Champion, Harbor Fishing Champion, Glop:Melee Champion, Bloons Tower Defense Champion, Mario & Friends Tower Defense Champion, Donkey Kong Ice Adventure Champion, Flying Gonzo Champion Mod: C&T, TIH

SkepticTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem for your dreams. View Post
So after it arrives I go down to the 'practice', and there's this:

and I'm thinking OMFG! WTF? Spinal Tap eatchaheartout!
I'd love to put that up against a Scientology e-meter.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 AM   #447125  /  #40
Requiescat in pace
Dubstyle.

Requiescat in pace

http://www.naturalpatient.com/homeop...emedymaker.htm

Quote:
Natural Patient is proud to offer a Homeopathic Remedy Maker with an 8 dial Rates section and Potency selection facilities of 1 to 999 X, C, M, CM, MM and LM. Additionally there is an amplification system enabling remedies to be made with power levels of 0-250 units and our unique "lock system".

As well as using this device to originate Homeopathic Remedies, you can also use the device to copy any homeopathic remedy, or in fact any sort of Energy remedy. This Potentiser can be used to transmit remote healing to patients, simply by placing the remedy you wish to send in the Copy Well and a witness from the patient, such as a hair sample, in the Receive Well.

Unlike many other potentisers of this type this device requires no electrical supply and as such is fully portable. The overall dimensions of the device are 250mm long x 200mm wide x 90mm deep.

Power Function

To give you an idea of what is meant by power units, homeopathic Remedies bought at a pharmacy have been dowsed and have been found to always contain around 30 power units. You can think of this power unit as being something like Watts, (it is the amount of actual energy in the remedy).Our machine can increase this to as much as 250 power units.

Lock Feature

Our unique "lock" feature prevents remedies losing energy. Many people who have used Homeopathic and Energy remedies may have noticed that those remedies tend to fade with prolonged storage, and if stored or even bought over the counter using a barcode reader, next to strong smelling substances, or accidentally touched with the palm of the hand they may have lost their potency completely. This remarkable feature developed by Gillian Lee is quite unique and is brought into action by depressing a single switch for a couple of seconds, after the remedy has been made.

Potency Section

The Potency section includes a three-digit multi-turn selector, which can very quickly be moved to the setting of your choice, it also has a locking lever to ensure your selection is not altered. Potency selection facilities of 1 to 999 X, C, M, CM, MM and LM. Additionally there is an amplification system enabling remedies to be made with power levels of 0-250 units and our unique "lock system".

Rates Remedy Selection

The Rates section has eight dials each calibrated 0-10, with a blank space on each dial as a neutral position. The Potentiser is supplied with a Rates book containing approx. 3500 Rates. The Rates number is set from the top dials, left to right, and the the bottom dials also left to right. The device has an output lead and clip allowing vibrations to be fed to larger receptacles, for potentising material too big to fit into the Receive well or large quantities of tablets.

To Operate

The preparation of a remedy from an existing sample is a simple operation without succusion/dilution or mechanical agitation nor the use of electricity or other external energy source.

To copy an existing Homeopathic Remedy

The unique energy pattern of any Homeopathic Potency from any other Homeopathic Potency of the same substance can easily be created. Place the remedy to be copied into the COPY, set the potency and power required by adjusting the central knobs and three-digit dial. Place the substance to be potentised into the RECEIVE, and finally press the "make" switch for three seconds and then the "lock" switch also for three seconds.

To create a unique energy pattern from a substance or combination of substances

Place the sample of the substance or substances into the COPY (crystal, plant, fossil etc.).Set the potency and power required by adjusting the central knobs and three-digit dial. Place the substance to be potentised into the RECEIVE, and finally press the "make" switch for three seconds and the "lock" switch for a further three seconds. Note that a remedy created from a saliva sample often proves to be an appropriate remedy!

To create a "Rates" Remedy

Set the dials to the "Rates" sequence, as selected from your "Rates Book", for the remedy required. Place the substance to be potentised into the RECEIVE, and finally press the "make" switch for three seconds and the "lock" switch also for three seconds. The "Rates Book" contains dial sequences of Homeopathic Remedies, Homeopathic Nosodes, Bach Flower Remedies, Radioactive Isotopes, Vitamins, Bio-chemical Remedies, Elements, Compounds, Diseases, Chakras, Constellations Jewels and Mental Conditions.

To create a Personalised Remedy

The experienced Healer Dowser can dowse for the "Dial Sequence" and "Potency" required for any condition and then the instructions shown to create a "Rates" remedy are carried out.

The substance to be Potentised

Un-medicated tablets, mineral water with a drop of alcohol (ie. Brandy), crystals etc. are all suitable.

This Deluxe Eight Dial Potentiser is priced at only £ 495.00 plus £5.00 postage in UK or the equivalent in any major foreign currency plus additional postage costs if outside the UK. Cheques should be made payable to Electre and sent to:

Electre
Forest Edge Cottage
Holly Hill
Slaley
Hexham
Northumberland
NE47 0AP
UK

Geddem while they're hot folks.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 AM   #447128  /  #41
Requiescat in pace
Dubstyle.

Requiescat in pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticTank View Post
I'd love to put that up against a Scientology e-meter.
I fucking want an e-meter. When I exit my first sci-fag, I'll get them to nick one before they leave.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #447153  /  #42
ravenscape
trigger warning
Match Around the World Champion, Duncan Castle Defense Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion Into the West

ravenscape
Send a message via MSN to ravenscape

Wait, wait wait...

You can sprinkle your crystals with potentized water?

sweeeeet!
Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 AM   #447161  /  #43
Matty
You wot?
Bricks Of Egypt Champion, Caribbean Poker Champion, Bejeweled Blitz  Champion

Matty

Roll up roll up, new aura charging devices, available in a variety of colours to rebalance your Karmic energy after even the most stubborn chi bottlenecks.
Feel the blue infuse you with calm, feel the red fill you with warmth and love and feel the green fill you with raw vitality. Never let your aura fade again with Auraglow.
Have confidence in your cosmic balance for the bargain price of $100 for individual colours , The delux triple set for full rebalance is yours for only $250 and I'm cutting my own arm off at that price so i am.

Last edited by Matty; 04-16-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #449313  /  #44
Requiescat in pace
Dubstyle.

Requiescat in pace

Man, I was hoping for turquoise. I'm gonna do a colour mixing version just like the paint shop. Mail order aura, choose your own colour from the chart and pay by Paypal. New aura arrives via ether-vibe-channelling from our team of dedicated aura channellers, within 24 hours guaranteed, or your money back. In order to view your new aura log into our website, share your webcam, and look at it using our unique live aura-viewing technology TM.

eta: I've written some very powerful and highly secret mathematical aura-decoding formulas, which I derived from the dimensions of the great pyramid, Pi, e, i, and the gooeyness factor of ideal mayonnaise (which was the second - largely forgotten - alchemist's dream, only now made possible). Yes, mayo has aura. Everything has aura. Thats why my aura viewing technology shows everything the same colour: your aura bleeds into everything man, just like mayo getting squeezed out the back of your sandwich while you bite the front.

Last edited by Requiescat in pace; 04-18-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #449346  /  #45
Bartholomew Roberts
Bart the Snow Queen
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

Bartholomew Roberts

I don't understand the question.
Bartholomew Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #450256  /  #46
themadhair

themadhair

Quote:
I fucking want an e-meter. When I exit my first sci-fag, I'll get them to nick one before they leave.
Be sure to ask them to bag a hard drive or two ok?
themadhair is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #453945  /  #47
Requiescat in pace
Dubstyle.

Requiescat in pace

That would be awesome. I've got so much of their advertising literature, and a DVD for the new crap. I'd like to get inside, I was thinking of looking for sponsorship from a TV company or something. Hidden camera and microphone, the full indoctrination from the inside (with frequent de-briefs after each). It could make good docu-TV.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #453970  /  #48
SkepticTank
legitimately terrible

SkepticTank

Quote:
I think you can find them on e-bay occasionally.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #454155  /  #49
themadhair

themadhair

Quote:
I'd like to get inside, I was thinking of looking for sponsorship from a TV company or something. Hidden camera and microphone, the full indoctrination from the inside (with frequent de-briefs after each). It could make good docu-TV.
Been done. Some of the best:
(three parts)

(five parts but only the first few are undercover)

(three parts)
themadhair is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #454892  /  #50
Requiescat in pace
Dubstyle.

Requiescat in pace

I had the idea back in the 90s. Those people owe me big time.

Thanks for that, I still think it would be good to see on UK TV. I live not far from a 'church' and as I say I get the mail through a lot (the guy who lived hear before must have got buttonholed - he also receives bills for thousands spent on credit cards, evidently on Scientology crap among other things.

I've been into the Church of Christ a couple of times, not recorded or anything. They're big on young adults (who are often the easiest to get through to - for the cults and for people like me who like to shit in the cult's soup). Their bible-study groups are set up to be super-laid-back, so once you're accepted as genuine your 'naive questions' are easily tolerated.

Last edited by Requiescat in pace; 04-23-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: half baked sentences fixt, note to self: learn to cuntpaste

TalkRational > Discussion > Physical Sciences

Tags
cluebat needed, ear candling, p.t. barnum approved