Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today |  Daily Wingnut | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > Physical Sciences

Physical Sciences Dangerous meddling in things man was not meant to know. Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry, etc.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #1467249  /  #1
SteveF
Pleistocene person

SteveF
Default Bad to the bone: facial structure predicts unethical behaviour

Quote:
Men who have wider faces relative to their facial height are more likely to engage in unethical behavior, according to a new study in the latest issue of the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

The finding adds to the growing body of evidence that an individual's genes and hormonal development can influence that person's behavior. The research also supports that certain static physical characteristics — in this case, a man's facial bone structure — may serve as reliable visual cues to behavior.

"Other researchers have found that differences in facial width-to-height ratio (WHR) emerge around puberty," co-author Michael Haselhuhn told Discovery News. "As sex differences in facial structure, generally, are at least partially due to increased testosterone concentrations in boys, testosterone likely plays a role in determining facial WHR, specifically, as well."

Haselhuhn, an assistant professor in the Lubar School of Business at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, said the new data indicates high WHRs tend to be those greater than 1.9.

"Historical examples of men falling into this general range are John F. Kennedy (2.15), Richard Nixon (2.02), and Ken Lay (1.86)," he said, adding that Bill Clinton (2.07) and John Edwards (2.38) also exhibit the trait and "have notably been caught in ethically-compromising positions."

Low WHRs, on the other hand, tend to be lower than 1.7.

"Men with low WHRs, such as John Lennon (1.63) tend to have longer rather than narrower faces," he explained. "George 'I cannot tell a lie' Washington (1.75) and William Shakespeare (1.44) also have low WHR's, though it is difficult to gather precise measurements from painted portraits."
http://news.discovery.com/human/faci...me-110705.html

paper:

Quote:
Haselhuhn, M.P. and Wong, E.M. (2011) Bad to the bone: facial structure predicts unethical behaviour. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, advance online.

Researchers spanning many scientific domains, including primatology, evolutionary biology and psychology, have sought to establish an evolutionary basis for morality. While researchers have identified social and cognitive adaptations that support ethical behaviour, a consensus has emerged that genetically determined physical traits are not reliable signals of unethical intentions or actions. Challenging this view, we show that genetically determined physical traits can serve as reliable predictors of unethical behaviour if they are also associated with positive signals in intersex and intrasex selection. Specifically, we identify a key physical attribute, the facial width-to-height ratio, which predicts unethical behaviour in men. Across two studies, we demonstrate that men with wider faces (relative to facial height) are more likely to explicitly deceive their counterparts in a negotiation, and are more willing to cheat in order to increase their financial gain. Importantly, we provide evidence that the link between facial metrics and unethical behaviour is mediated by a psychological sense of power. Our results demonstrate that static physical attributes can indeed serve as reliable cues of immoral action, and provide additional support for the view that evolutionary forces shape ethical judgement and behaviour.
SteveF is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #1467268  /  #2
Free Falling

Free Falling

Horseshit.
Free Falling is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #1467272  /  #3
gandalf
teh r3t4rd

gandalf

Reported for antifattyism

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
Mattshizzle: Advice # 1 - post in English instead of Retarded.
Schneibster: Do you have any idea how many people have arrogantly told me I was full of shit on the Internet?
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #1467319  /  #4
Bartholomew Roberts
Suspended
Tetris Champion, Soccer Cup 2012 Football Champion, Pirateers Champion

Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Men who have blacker faces are more likely to engage in unethical behavior
Bartholomew Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #1467364  /  #5
el guapo
el governmento grande
TR Pundit

el guapo

garbage
el guapo is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #1467389  /  #6
Sugriva

Sugriva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post

Quote:
Men who have wider faces relative to their facial height are more likely to engage in unethical behavior, according to a new study in the latest issue of the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
This isn't news. We've known this for a long time.

/nerd
Sugriva is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #1467429  /  #7
Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone

Cool, it looks like I will have to add a few sets of large vises for my Retrophrenology practice.
Subduction Zone is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #1467432  /  #8
Worldtraveller
A fuzzy, winged spork.

Worldtraveller
Send a message via MSN to Worldtraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free In Freeport View Post
Horseshit.
Not necessarily.

If there is a genetic component to unethical trends in behavior (and IMO, everything we do is a combination of genetic inclination and environmental/societal influences), then that bahvior could also be correlated to the genetic trend of wider facial features.

Much like dogs. We didn't initially breed them for spots, curly hair, or other physical charactieristics, so much as how well they worked with/listened to people. The other stuff was coincidental, genetically speaking. (ref. The Trut Fox Study pdf)
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #1468136  /  #9
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

llanitedave

So Lennon, Washington, and Shakespeare were paragons of virtue?

I can see that it is easy to measure facial dimensions, but how are they quantifying ethical behavior?

Lennon was a wife beater, Washington was no stranger to deception (how could one be a general in wartime otherwise -- "I cannot tell a lie" was a 19th century invention), and Shakespeare is almost completely unknown as a person.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #1468141  /  #10
Beanfrost
High Plains Drifter

Beanfrost

Another half baked study at someone else's expense.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #1468202  /  #11
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
"Historical examples of men falling into this general range are John F. Kennedy (2.15), Richard Nixon (2.02), and Ken Lay (1.86)," he said, adding that Bill Clinton (2.07) and John Edwards (2.38) also exhibit the trait and "have notably been caught in ethically-compromising positions."
Perseo is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #1468210  /  #12
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

Autonemesis

Let's see a study of how people with tall, handsome faces behave towards people with homely short, wide faces.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #1468212  /  #13
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

Autonemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
... but how are they quantifying ethical behavior?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fine Article
Across two studies, we demonstrate that men with wider faces (relative to facial height) are more likely to explicitly deceive their counterparts in a negotiation, and are more willing to cheat in order to increase their financial gain.
Seems a very narrow definition to me. Generalizing this result to other behaviors of ethical and moral concern is probably a mistake.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #1468229  /  #14
Linus
opportunity of an erection

Linus

TR admins & mods should incorporate these findings into the modding.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #1468268  /  #15
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

llanitedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonemesis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
... but how are they quantifying ethical behavior?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fine Article
Across two studies, we demonstrate that men with wider faces (relative to facial height) are more likely to explicitly deceive their counterparts in a negotiation, and are more willing to cheat in order to increase their financial gain.
Seems a very narrow definition to me. Generalizing this result to other behaviors of ethical and moral concern is probably a mistake.

Way narrow. There just seems to be a whole fleet of variables unaccounted for.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #1468357  /  #16
Patronus Potter
When in Rome...
Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion

Patronus Potter

Patronus Potter is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #1468538  /  #17
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

llanitedave

That lying bastard.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #1468553  /  #18
Jerome
Life is but a bowl of cherries

Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free In Freeport View Post
Horseshit.

^^^ Wide-Face ^^^
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #1468893  /  #19
Bilirubin
YOU HEINOUS TOOL
Bejeweled 2 Champion Mod: ASS, LSD, Phys Sci

Bilirubin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the BEST elf View Post
i've always hated "well recall me then" as the only meaningful thing that can be done when a mod does stupid shit. it should not be an all or nothing proposition.
Bilirubin is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #1468905  /  #20
recursive prophet
Recursions Analyst

Location: Palomar Mountain hills near Escondido, Ca enjoying retirement and laughing at angry fools online.
recursive prophet

:drunk ..
recursive prophet is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #1474043  /  #21
haloxt

haloxt

Weston Price took measurements of the facial structures of thousands in many regions of the world. Endocrine disruptors aside, the primary determinant of facial width is nutrition, or more accurately, malnutrition, since properly fed humans and any other mammal exhibit surprising similarities in bone structure with their kin. People with broad faces are people with more fully developed facial structures, truer phenotype expression. People who are well-fed enough to exhibit wide faces tend also to receive nutrients sufficient for proper nervous and neurological functioning, and for men, this proper functioning includes the propensity for violent behavior. Sometimes the natural behavior of humans would be considered criminal in modern society, but whether this is a defect in man or his society is a different matter. We should also avoid confusing behavior and culturally-defined crime when asking whether or not people with less testosterone are better suited for modern society.

You can read more about behavior, facial structure and nutrition in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price. A difficult pill to swallow if you, like me and the majority of people on modern diets, have incomplete facial development, but it is old and proven science, and don't suggest ridiculous conclusions like the topic article.
haloxt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #1474102  /  #22
Per Ahlberg
Magical Liopleurodon
Prof. Moriarty

Per Ahlberg

Ming the Merciless disagrees with the OP.
Per Ahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #1475559  /  #23
Martin B
CAPS LOCK ON

Martin B

So, Proc. B. is now taking the Biology Letters model.
Martin B is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #1475611  /  #24
teeth!
trollo trollini trollus est
Commissar

teeth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloxt View Post
Weston Price took measurements of the facial structures of thousands in many regions of the world. Endocrine disruptors aside, the primary determinant of facial width is nutrition, or more accurately, malnutrition, since properly fed humans and any other mammal exhibit surprising similarities in bone structure with their kin. People with broad faces are people with more fully developed facial structures, truer phenotype expression. People who are well-fed enough to exhibit wide faces tend also to receive nutrients sufficient for proper nervous and neurological functioning, and for men, this proper functioning includes the propensity for violent behavior. Sometimes the natural behavior of humans would be considered criminal in modern society, but whether this is a defect in man or his society is a different matter. We should also avoid confusing behavior and culturally-defined crime when asking whether or not people with less testosterone are better suited for modern society.

You can read more about behavior, facial structure and nutrition in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price. A difficult pill to swallow if you, like me and the majority of people on modern diets, have incomplete facial development, but it is old and proven science, and don't suggest ridiculous conclusions like the topic article.
lookit dis scrub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dan View Post
I tried [crack] once in September 1990 and it was nasty, it made me think "ew, this must be what bicycle tires taste like."
teeth! is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #1475630  /  #25
sanshou
freedom axis
Mod: A&E

sanshou

you want to know a really good predictor of unethical behavior?

atheism

TalkRational > Discussion > Physical Sciences