Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > History, Anthropological Sciences and Humanities

History, Anthropological Sciences and Humanities History, Anthropology, Behavioral Sciences, etc.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #1573818  /  #26
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth View Post
unless she was critiquing Figgy's paintings, in which case, keep on keepin on.
Figuer's paintings, not El Greco's!
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #1573824  /  #27
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
unless she was critiquing Figgy's paintings, in which case, keep on keepin on.
Don't be silly Tleex: borealis is a simpleton lacking self reliance that would never criticize something presented as good on an art book. She(?) even thinks Matisse and Cezanne are worth mentioning as examples of artists

Halfwits like borealis don't know art history as deeply as enlightened and hypereducated masters like myself: Most artists considered great during their lifetimes are now not even remembered (and rightly so). The same will happen to most of the decadent artists of the twentieth century. Picasso is partly an exception because cubism is intellectually sound. But he is a Giotto to Dali's Leonardo: The rough initiator, not the great master. His name will be known to experts, not to the masses, whose taste is more honest, and falls not to pseudo intellectual nonsense.
Perseo is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #1573828  /  #28
teeth!
trollo trollini trollus est
Commissar

teeth!

your art criticism leaves something to be desired, Figgy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dan View Post
I tried [crack] once in September 1990 and it was nasty, it made me think "ew, this must be what bicycle tires taste like."
teeth! is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #1573836  /  #29
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

Figuer's art criticism is cranky and likely based on a couple books written by some of the more backward critics whose works were rejected as second rate in their time, after reading which Figuer decided his own work, being more like their's than, say, Robert Smithson's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smithson), (http://www.robertsmithson.com/) or Rauschenberg's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rauschenberg), was better than the modern greats.

Damn, you don't even have to like someone's art to decide whether it is good or not, you just have to see it, preferably in person. And Figuer has ample opportunity, of which opportunity I am jealous, but he likely makes little use of it.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #1573844  /  #30
teeth!
Commissar

teeth!

Figuer lives in puerto rico and has never left the island.

So I dunno what you mean by "ample opportunity."
Quote:
I tried [crack] once in September 1990 and it was nasty, it made me think "ew, this must be what bicycle tires taste like."
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #1573848  /  #31
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

I thought he once said he had actually visited Spain; perhaps not. In which case he really needs to get out more.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #1573852  /  #32
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

It's difficult enough to be a painter in the era of instant multiples, without further hampering your own efforts by aping the brushwork of who knows what second rate artists, which from the examples I saw, is what he has done to himself. he'd be better off currently by studying whatever authentic local folk art is available and riffing off that than what he appears to be doing.

I don't know how old Figuer is; perhaps he still has time to mature creatively.

Turn your old canvases to the wall, Figuer, go out and observe, come back and paint something without preconceived notions of what is 'good art'. You might surprise yourself.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #1573855  /  #33
teeth!
Commissar

teeth!

If you haven't been raised in a folk tradition, you can't really come to it as an adult and then suddenly start using it to produce quality work.
Quote:
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #1573890  /  #34
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
your art criticism leaves something to be desired, Figgy.
Obviously, it leaves it to be desired that my notions become academic norm, instead of the pseudo intellectual nonsense currently being taught.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #1573897  /  #35
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
Figuer lives in puerto rico and has never left the island.
What a moron. I have travelled extensively and seen in person the works of all major artist, both classical and 'modern'. Been to the Moma and Guggenheim many, many times. When I wrote that I had never left P.R. I meant that I had never lived anywhere else, not that I hadn't traveled outside. You are incredibly stupid.

Quote:
So I dunno what you mean by "ample opportunity."
She is actually right. Not all people are as dumb as you.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #1573905  /  #36
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Figuer's art criticism is cranky and likely based on a couple books written by some of the more backward critics whose works were rejected as second rate in their time.
Contrary to nit wits such as yourself, I don't base my opinions on what others write, but on my experience. For instance, I saw the largest exposition ever of Matise's work in the National Gallery: utter crap. Once spent half an hour looking at a Pollock on the Moma: trash.

Quote:
, after reading which Figuer decided his own work
I base my work on what I like and feel, not on what I read about art.

Quote:
, being more like their's than, say, Robert Smithson's or Rauschenberg's
Those clowns.

Quote:
Damn, you don't even have to like someone's art to decide whether it is good or not, you just have to see it, preferably in person. And Figuer has ample opportunity, of which opportunity I am jealous, but he likely makes little use of it.
You are silly: Good art is a matter of taste.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #1573907  /  #37
teeth!
Commissar

teeth!

lol MoMA and the Gugg.

Have you ever been to the European museums where the classic works are kept?
Quote:
Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #1573912  /  #38
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
It's difficult enough to be a painter in the era of instant multiples, without further hampering your own efforts by aping the brushwork of who knows what second rate artists,
Oh, so Vermeer and Velazquez are second rate artists.

Quote:
which from the examples I saw, is what he has done to himself. he'd be better off currently by studying whatever authentic local folk art is available and riffing off that than what he appears to be doing.

Quote:
The great among the great like myself, by which I mean the michelangelos, velazquezes, titians, el grecos, etc. keep evolving till they die. The prophecies claim I will live till the hundreds, so I still have many decades ahead.

Quote:
Turn your old canvases to the wall, Figuer, go out and observe, come back and paint something without preconceived notions of what is 'good art'. You might surprise yourself.
Yes, if I followed the advice of a nitwit such as yourself I would surprise myself, and then proceed to jump off a bridge.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #1573913  /  #39
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
lol MoMA and the Gugg.

Have you ever been to the European museums where the classic works are kept?
Yes moron, I was emphasising my experience with modern works. Idiot.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #1573917  /  #40
teeth!
Commissar

teeth!

yabut why would you be citing Matisse then? Fuck Matisse what a fucker.
Quote:
Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #1573931  /  #41
DaveGodfrey
Demoderated

DaveGodfrey

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficus View Post
Quote:
In your mind, perhaps.
No. It is a fact that such art is nothing of value, and that pretending it is indicates intellectual dysfunction on a monumental scale (indeed, the value is recognized as not residing in the work, but in the fictional narrative that surrounds it). Such pseudointellectual exercises are the mother of postmodernism, and keep nourishing it.
Did you actually attend an art college or just take one of those $35 correspondence courses?

You sound, once the words are reduced to one or two syllables, exactly like the ignoramus who says "I don't know anything about art but I know what I like".
'tis a pity I am one of those ignoramuses. (I don't think I know enough art history to claim to know anything about art- I do know a few techniques however, but that's not the same thing at all.) Right now, I know what I like. But I'm sure there's lots of art I don't know that I'd like- I'd not seen any of Frida Kahlo's work before a recent exhibition of hers, but I liked it a lot. I think the thing I like most about art is discovering new stuff I like.
Quote:
There is bad conceptual art and good conceptual art, same as with any creative genre. The good stuff stands on its own, within its cultural context, without the need for 'pseudointellectual exercises'. As you would know if you were well versed in modern art history. Or any art history. Or even managed to exist within a milieu of recognized modern artists. As it stands, you sound like a disgruntled and resentful throwback, the kind of person who'd have trash-talked Rousseau, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Picasso, Matisse, Cezanne, Moore, et al in their day. Further back, you'd have dissed the inclusion of perspective effects in paintings.
Love Rousseau, Van Gogh, Not so fussed about Picasso- I just don't really get the abstract/cubist movement. I don't think it helps that I'm mostly a photographer, a medium that doesn't easily lend itself to abstraction. Its do-able, but you really have to think hard about light and shadow. When I paint and draw its mostly palaeontological reconstructions- so realism is essential. Matisse and Cezanne I do like- I'm a big fan of the impressionists. My favourite painiters are probably The Group of Seven. I love Moore mostly because of the way people interact with it- I love the fact that children use his sculptures as a climbing frame- the way people responded to Olafur Eliasson's "The Weather Project" at Tate Modern's Turbine Hall had a similar effect.

Anyway, as you were...
Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #1573932  /  #42
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

Quote:
If you haven't been raised in a folk tradition, you can't really come to it as an adult and then suddenly start using it to produce quality work.
You can, if you come from the same culture, learn to appreciate the root impulses and influences and reference them in your own work. many artists do that, consciously or unconsciously.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #1573934  /  #43
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

Quote:
Quote:
It's difficult enough to be a painter in the era of instant multiples, without further hampering your own efforts by aping the brushwork of who knows what second rate artists,
Oh, so Vermeer and Velazquez are second rate artists.

Quote:
which from the examples I saw, is what he has done to himself. he'd be better off currently by studying whatever authentic local folk art is available and riffing off that than what he appears to be doing.

Quote:
The great among the great like myself, by which I mean the michelangelos, velazquezes, titians, el grecos, etc. keep evolving till they die. The prophecies claim I will live till the hundreds, so I still have many decades ahead.

Quote:
Yes, if I followed the advice of a nitwit such as yourself I would surprise myself, and then proceed to jump off a bridge.
The work I've seen of yours in no way resembles anything influenced by Vermeer or Velazquez. You are fooling yourself if you think it does.

Do you know you sound like a Monty Python skit when you try to insult people?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #1573948  /  #44
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGodfrey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In your mind, perhaps.
No. It is a fact that such art is nothing of value, and that pretending it is indicates intellectual dysfunction on a monumental scale (indeed, the value is recognized as not residing in the work, but in the fictional narrative that surrounds it). Such pseudointellectual exercises are the mother of postmodernism, and keep nourishing it.
Did you actually attend an art college or just take one of those $35 correspondence courses?

You sound, once the words are reduced to one or two syllables, exactly like the ignoramus who says "I don't know anything about art but I know what I like".
'tis a pity I am one of those ignoramuses. (I don't think I know enough art history to claim to know anything about art- I do know a few techniques however, but that's not the same thing at all.) Right now, I know what I like. But I'm sure there's lots of art I don't know that I'd like- I'd not seen any of Frida Kahlo's work before a recent exhibition of hers, but I liked it a lot. I think the thing I like most about art is discovering new stuff I like.
I doubt you'd self-importantly state that out loud ("I don't know anything about art but I know what I like"). Usually someone who says that likes Kinkade and Rockwell and considers anything else to be rot.

Quote:
There is bad conceptual art and good conceptual art, same as with any creative genre. The good stuff stands on its own, within its cultural context, without the need for 'pseudointellectual exercises'. As you would know if you were well versed in modern art history. Or any art history. Or even managed to exist within a milieu of recognized modern artists. As it stands, you sound like a disgruntled and resentful throwback, the kind of person who'd have trash-talked Rousseau, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Picasso, Matisse, Cezanne, Moore, et al in their day. Further back, you'd have dissed the inclusion of perspective effects in paintings.
Quote:
Love Rousseau, Van Gogh, Not so fussed about Picasso- I just don't really get the abstract/cubist movement. I don't think it helps that I'm mostly a photographer, a medium that doesn't easily lend itself to abstraction. Its do-able, but you really have to think hard about light and shadow. When I paint and draw its mostly palaeontological reconstructions- so realism is essential. Matisse and Cezanne I do like- I'm a big fan of the impressionists. My favourite painiters are probably The Group of Seven. I love Moore mostly because of the way people interact with it- I love the fact that children use his sculptures as a climbing frame- the way people responded to Olafur Eliasson's "The Weather Project" at Tate Modern's Turbine Hall had a similar effect.

Anyway, as you were...
Wrt Picasso, I don't like most of his work very much, but I do appreciate the progression he made and the influences he embraced over his career. Without Picasso, it might have taken a lot longer for Westerners to grasp the beauty of African art so they would quit burning it as unChristian trash or tossing it on rubbish heaps.

I saw Moore's plaster models for several of his large bronzes in Toronto once. They were astoundingly beautiful. I hadn't thought about Moore much; I'm not as interested in sculpture as in other media. The bare white plaster had been varnished to preserve it, and some yellowing had naturally occurred. They looked like gigantic polished alien bones, gorgeous.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #1573958  /  #45
DaveGodfrey
Demoderated

DaveGodfrey

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In your mind, perhaps.

I doubt you'd self-importantly state that out loud ("I don't know anything about art but I know what I like"). Usually someone who says that likes Kinkade and Rockwell and considers anything else to be rot.
I'd say it, but not self-importantly. More in the "I'm terribly sorry for inflicting this cliche on you" way.

True story- Many years ago I had one of those milk-round mini-interviews at a local shopping centre for a position in a Thomas Kincaid franchise. I used the phrase in the interview, and then mentioned impressionists. They didn't call back. (This may have been a lucky escape.)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #1573961  /  #46
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:

The work I've seen of yours in no way resembles anything influenced by Vermeer or Velazquez. You are fooling yourself if you think it does.
The nonsense you write in no way resembles anything influenced by intelligence or artistic capacity...

Quote:
Do you know you sound like a Monty Python skit when you try to insult people?
no, I didn't.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #1573967  /  #47
borealis
cruel but fair

borealis

Figuer, I've given you some good advice, however pissed off you are about it.

You're quite amusing when you're fuming.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #1573970  /  #48
Perseo
First Lady

Perseo

Quote:
Wrt Picasso, I don't like most of his work very much, but I do appreciate the progression he made and the influences he embraced over his career. Without Picasso, it might have taken a lot longer for Westerners to grasp the beauty of African art so they would quit burning it as unChristian trash or tossing it on rubbish heaps.
More reasons to hate Picasso...

Quote:
I saw Moore's plaster models for several of his large bronzes in Toronto once. They were astoundingly beautiful. I hadn't thought about Moore much; I'm not as interested in sculpture as in other media. The bare white plaster had been varnished to preserve it, and some yellowing had naturally occurred. They looked like gigantic polished alien bones, gorgeous.
Paleontological models are indeed beautiful. He should have used his talents to help further scientific research, not obstruct plazas with enlarged play doe figurines.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #1574383  /  #49
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

llanitedave

Quote:
I've seen a couple of his paintings: derivative, somewhat muddy, and lazy in execution.

A little discipline and considerably less navel-gazing would likely improve his work a great deal.

Figuer, you masochist, you beg for this kind of evaluation.
And his ROTTEN painting! Rotten! Figuer, THERE was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in one afternoon! TWO COATS!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #1574394  /  #50
teeth!
Commissar

teeth!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In your mind, perhaps.

I'd say it, but not self-importantly. More in the "I'm terribly sorry for inflicting this cliche on you" way.

True story- Many years ago I had one of those milk-round mini-interviews at a local shopping centre for a position in a Thomas Kincaid franchise. I used the phrase in the interview, and then mentioned impressionists. They didn't call back. (This may have been a lucky escape.)
Haha I got kicked out of a Kincaid shop once for making fun of the paintings.
Quote:

TalkRational > Discussion > History, Anthropological Sciences and Humanities